The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 105  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:08 pm 

U-Channel and T-Channel steel strips were used in different applications/locations. I can't tell which were used where for sure. Most mold firms don't attempt to mold the U-Channel stiffeners if they mold anything on bulwarks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:58 pm 

I have a question about the installation of the twin 40mm and teardrop shield on the fantail of USS Fletcher. I believe this was added sometime in November 1942, is that correct? Were there any other modifications made to USS Fletcher when the 40mm was added?

UPDATE: Looking at earlier posts in this topic I noticed that Rick E Davis indicated that a 20mm was added above the pilot house and the USS Fletcher was in Measure 21, also, there may have been the addition of a stovepipe radar on the mast. What about k-guns and cages ...were there more added by March 1943?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:28 pm 
Can someone tell me what the ropes are for hanging over the side in the following images? I initially thought it was something to do with being at rest in the pictures of USS Fletcher at Purvis Bay in March 1943. But you can also see the same rope over the side on USS Charles Ausburne at speed...

A side question, would there have been PT boats at Purvis Bay? I'm thinking of doing a diorama based on the USS Fletcher pics.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:03 am 

pbrowne,

The fantail twin 40-mm mount was added the last week in August 1942 at New York Navy Yard, just prior to USS FLETCHER heading to the Pacific.

Exactly when the 20-mm gun was added atop the pilothouse and when she was painted into Ms 21 isn't known. It appears that the 20-mm gun atop the pilothouse was added before January 1943, "likely" (guess) in December 1942. That was when the Pacific Commands were "requesting" that a 20-mm gun be added there on new building FLETCHERS. (The Pacific destroyers already had been installing it in the forward areas) When or if FLETCHER had a stovepipe IFF antenna installed is a question mark. She didn't have it installed in March or May 1943 photos.

USS FLETCHER left Espiritu Santo on 19 June 1943 for repairs and an overhaul on the West Coast which lasted into July. At that time she was upgraded to the five twin 40-mm mounts configuration as seen in photos on Navsource, etc. Prior to this overhaul/upgrade she had the original arbor post method of reload stowage for the six Mk 6 K-Gun depth charge throwers. During the overhaul, she was refitted with the roller reload stowage racks for the K-Guns and had more drop track depth charges added.

ALL FLETCHERS carried six Mk 6 300-lb depth charge projectors during WWII.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:14 am 

Thanks for the clarifications Rick! :thumbs_up_1: BTW, I have ordered your book on Round Bridge Fletcher Class Destroyer...should prove very useful! Now, about the ropes over the side, they appear to go to the whaleboat davits, but why and what are they attached to on the forecastle. Looks very un-shipshape on the Charles Ausburne underway... :no_2:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:18 am 

"Guest",

I'm not exactly sure what the rope was used for. It was a common sight on destroyers during WWII. The most likely function being one of the lines passed to another ship during refueling. If you look at destroyers coming alongside a larger ship and/or oiler, this line is one of those "at the ready" to be passed over. Another use is as a safety line with the ships boat. The need to act quickly during ship sinkings and/or aircrew recoveries required that boat operations and such be ready at all times.

I'm not sure about WHEN PT boats were deployed at Purvis Bay, but many were stationed there at some point. A quick look on-line says that at least one Squadron of PT Boats arrived there in October 1942.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:32 am 

Ah yes, 'line' not 'rope' :roll_eyes: Thanks again Rick.

One more question...the S&S shipcamouflage site states that for Measure 21 'Glass windows shall be covered or removed, especially during the day in sunny weather...' I don't see that happening in the above images of USS Fletcher for the bridge windows (possibly being in a safe harbour) Did those windows have some means of being covered or removed?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:02 pm 

I believe there were covers on the inside of the pilothouse portholes. But, they had to leave them open for navigation purposes most of the time. This image shows the inside of the pilothouse during the 1950s. By mid-1950s they had semi-enclosed the "open" navigation bridge forward of the pilothouse and mods were made to the pilothouse at that time. As you can see there were swing down covers/windows. Not sure what options there were during WWII.

Attachments:
zDD686bridge-1956.jpg
zDD686bridge-1956.jpg [ 168.88 KiB | Viewed 6777 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:54 pm 

Hi Rick,
I'm working on scratchbuilding the 36" searchlights for the stack of the USS Stevens and was wondering if you have any reasonably close pictures of these lights for adding some details.

thanks in advance!

Bruce

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:45 pm 

Bruce,

E-Mail sent ... I hope it got to you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:30 pm 

Rick,
Got it; much thanks.

Bruce

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:25 pm 

[/quote]First, thank you for your service. You guys never got the welcome home you deserved - a blight on our society's history.

Bob[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, Bob. My brother was a Vietnam veteran as well, and seemed bitter for years about the cold shoulder he received when he (thankfully) returned home. Those guys deserved way better than that.

30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:32 pm 

Rick E Davis wrote:
Max,

For what time period are you modeling your model ... WWII or Post-WWII??? Determines hull number size.

I just figured out that you're that Rick Davis. I'm looking real forward to ordering your Round Bridge Fletcher book, Rick.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:07 pm 

I recently snatched a copy of the Shipcraft book (Pen & Sword publishers) on the Fletchers, but as is typical of the series, mostly about models, but with some decent details of the real deal, so an OK reference to add to the pile, though I suspect this thread is where I'll receive the most assistance with my own Fletcher.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:58 pm 

Ric,
Do you have by any chance a good photo from a 26' motor whaleboat with canopy?
I am interested in the bow view. Apparently it is different from the "open" whaler.

On the same subject, how were they painted inside? I assume Deck Blue, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks,
Hermann

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:06 pm 

Herman,

I will have to look. I'm too tired right now to look for a view showing that aspect. Not a common aspect.

I would think that the boat would be painted in the same manner as the ship's camo.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:55 pm 

Rick,
On a different subject. Only one of the torpedo cranes was telescopic, correct?

Thanks,

Hermann

Last edited by hermannsae on Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:07 pm 

I believe that only the aft crane was retractable.

As for "Bow on" view of the boats on FLETCHER's, that is pretty hard. I can get some quarter views, but whalers/boats used on USN destroyers are something I don't know much about.

Here is the only "as deployed" view I could find with a head-on view.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:31 pm 

Thanks Ricks, in the meantime I found an original drawing for the whalers.
This picture gives me a got idea how it looked when the destroyer was in motion and the whalers still outboard.
Thanks again and a Happy New Year!

Hermann

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:31 am 

Mr. Davis, thank you for that fantastic head on photo of a Fletcher at speed. One can only imagine a Japanese sub captain filling his pants seeing a view like that in his periscope.

Bob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2095 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 105  Next