The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:40 pm 

Can't help with Spangler herself, but this is one of the best pictures of a Buckley midship without the TT that I know of.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/im ... 621803.jpg

Wish I had one with TT.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 pm 

Sirpaul,

What timeframe/configuration are you modeling SPANGLER (DE-696)? Since SPANGLER is a BUCKLEY class unit, would a photo of any BUCKLEY in the configuration you desire a photo do??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:35 pm 

Yes it would. I'm building her in MS22 probably around 1944. Just want to add all the stuff missing from the Trumpy England kit. Thanks Rick and Russ for the Fast responses. Russ the picture you put up is to late war for my Spangler but thanks all the same.

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:46 am 

Sirpaul,
The one thing in the photo I linked that would be the same is the rectangular object directly aft of the aft stack uptake. That is a ventilator. As you can see, it is about the same height as a 20mm ammo locker. The same style vent is located forward of the forward stack uptake along with 3 chest high thin mushrooms. The working space around the 3" practice loader was really tight.

Spangler's war diaries are on Fold3.com. Unfortunately, the diaries from commissioning to Dec '43 are in pencil and are illegible. They are then typed. She completed shakedown in Bermuda on 9 Dec 43 and sailed to Boston for availablity. Left Boston on 24 Dec for New Orleans. Left New Orleans for the Canal Zone on 31 Dec. Arrived Colon on 5 January, Balboa 6 Jan, crossed the line on 12 Jan and arrived at Bora Bora on 20 Jan 1944.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:56 am 

Sirpaul

Here's a great shot of the midship area. This is DE-642.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/im ... 664204.jpg

It appears that the rectangular vent was not as high when the TT was aboard. Otherwise the deck is pretty clean. Also, this ship did not have the practice loader.

The other shots of this ship are pretty good two. They all "click to zoom"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 am 

This is an excellent photo of Buckley class DE-578, showing items missing from Trumpy's England kit.
The photo is dated July, 1944 and shows that between commissioning in February 1944 and the photo, she had lost her TT mount in favor of 6 addition 2 x 20mm guns and 4 x 40mm.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/im ... 657802.jpg

1. Open Bridge:
a. Starboard side: The flat rectangle aft of the wind screen and walkway is the top of the companionway or shelter over the inclined ladder leading down to the pilot house. Built OOB, the kit shows no means of getting up to the open bridge
b. Port Side: The rectangle slanted outboard is the shelter over the log desk
2. 01 or First Superstructure Deck:
a. Forward of Stack
1) Port Side
a) Tall, round ventilator: This is the intake vent for the galley which is directly below.
b) Tall, round vent forward and toward centerline under signal deck overhang. (Not visible)
c) Rectagular vent ahgead of stack uptake is taller than kit provides.
2) Starboard Side
a) Tall round vent just outboard of mast (Not visible)
b) WT door on aft bulkhead of superstructure (Not visible)
b. Aft of Stack
1) Rectangular ventilator aft of stack uptake. Similar height to 20mm ammo lockers, length and width slightly smaller.

Aside from the additional guns, this ship had an added low mast with DF antenna added. Note barrel stops on new 40mm tubs.
Edited per Rick

Last edited by Russ2146 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 am 

Four of those extra six "20-mm" guns are actually single 40-mm guns. SPANGLER was authorized, like most Atlantic based DEs in 1944, to replace her TT mount with four 40-mm guns, but I don't have info handy to say whether she actually got them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:57 pm 

Thanks guys. Russ that close up is just what i needed. I should be able to use it to make all the little touches i want.

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:48 am 

Hi Guys, I'm looking for the instructions for the Revell 1/250 HMS BLIGH / Buckley Class model. Does anybody have a spare copy, or can they send me a scan?

Fingers crossed,

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:07 pm 
davepb wrote:
Hi Guys, I'm looking for the instructions for the Revell 1/250 HMS BLIGH / Buckley Class model. Does anybody have a spare copy, or can they send me a scan?

Fingers crossed,

Dave

Hi Dave

Let me have your e-mail address and i will send you a scanned copy of the instructions for HMS Bligh Revell model.

Best regards from Malta
Noel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:20 pm 

Guest wrote:
davepb wrote:

Fingers crossed,

Dave

Hi Dave

Let me have your e-mail address and i will send you a scanned copy of the instructions for HMS Bligh Revell model.

Best regards from Malta
Noel

Hi Noel, thanks for the offer. Email address is davepb@tiscali.co.uk
That is the kit I have, I'm converting/ modifying it to be HMS Redmill.
Cheers Dave in Lincolnshire.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:05 pm 

Pit-Road is re-releasing their 1/700 Buckley and Cannon kits as a three-ship-in-one-box deal: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10220585

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 am 

Buckley APD's

I picked up the Iron Shipwright's USS Lloyd APD-63 in 1/350. I have seen a lot of pictures and profile line drawings, but the only deck line drawing I've been able to find is from a book, U.S. Amphibious Ships and Craft: An Illustrated Design History (page 197 off Google books). The detail I can't figure is a structure(?) behind the aft 40mm's and beside the rear 20mm's. The blue prints online are for a Rudderow class which is similar, but has a different deck lay out. Anyone know of any deck plans for a Buckley APD? The other thing I don't have a good picture of is the winches (?) on the fantail.
The Iron Shipwright's seems to be a very nice kit, but a lot of things aren't matching up to my references. Most gun mounts will have to be repositioned and replaced. Going to use Trumpeter stack, flying bridge, and mast.

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:50 pm 

Russ2146 wrote:
Sirpaul

Here's a great shot of the midship area. This is DE-642.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/im ... 664204.jpg

It appears that the rectangular vent was not as high when the TT was aboard. Otherwise the deck is pretty clean. Also, this ship did not have the practice loader.

The other shots of this ship are pretty good two. They all "click to zoom"

I have to say, that one of the nicest DD/DE pics I've ever seen. I'll have to find a way to make my recently acquired England kit look "busy" like this.

Ed-

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:43 pm 

Best regards from Malta
Noel[/quote]
Hi Noel, thanks for the offer. Email address is davepb@tiscali.co.uk
That is the kit I have, I'm converting/ modifying it to be HMS Redmill.
Cheers Dave in Lincolnshire.[/quote]
Hi Noel, I've just realised, to my shame, that I never publicly thanked you for the scan of the Buckley instructions. Thankyou, and the kit is well under way.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:03 pm 

I am about to restart my Trumpeter 1/350 USS England. I worked on it a fair bit some time ago and have decided it is time to get it finished up.

Does anyone else think the anchor bolsters are too high on the Trumpeter kit?

Here is the kit part:

And here is a drawing from the Floating Drydock E Planbook for the Buckley Class:

I think the bolster needs to be moved down til the top of the bolster is near the deck level. What do others think? Is the E Planbook incorrect?

Thanks,

Don

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:06 pm 

Why not look at photos?
England is on the left here: http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/im ... 663513.jpg

You can see that it does protrude above the deck and forms a part of the bulwark that the plans show as being separate. So in this case, if you were to thin the Trumpeter part and add in the surrounding bulwark, you'd have a pretty accurate representation.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:14 pm 

Thanks for that image, Timmy! I had not seen that one before.

I have been looking all over for just that sort of photo! Not sure how I missed it at NavSource! I have looked at every picture on the England page and completely missed that one!

Makes my life just a tad easier, too!

Don

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:19 pm 

Next question - was the torpedo director on USS England mounted directly on the tubes? I do not see any indication of it anywhere else and the Floating Drydock E-Plan book shows what could be a director mounted atop the tube mount (pg 116 of the book).

Thanks,

Don

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:33 pm 

Hey all,
Just starting on one sprue of the 1/700 Pit Road Buckley double kit, which I'm doing as Harmon in MS 22.
This will be wartime, before the 5-inch mod.
The kit instructions show a tub near the stern with two single 20mm mounts as "option" - how helpful is that? :heh:
Can anyone say when the class began receiving that particular mod? Before the 5 inch conversion?
To build Harmon as commissioned I expect I would omit those guns. But to do the ship in 1944 (second turn in MS 22) ... aye, there's the rub.
TIA
Harold
(BTW - all the great work in larger scales, shown earlier in this thread, is making my brain ache :thumbs_up_1: )

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next