The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:40 pm 

Does anyone know of any impending release of a Hobart Class Destroyer in 1/700?
Can anyone tell me what the best base kit to build one of these would be?
I've seen the Big Blue Boy 'Bazan' kit and it needs a few additions and mods. Has anyone 'been there, done that' and can list the mods required?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:42 pm 

There is only the BigBlueBoy kit.

You need to add the Phalanx, SPQ-9B radar, Nulka decoy launchers, and 25 mm Bushmaster guns (Typhoon mountings). The 5" turret has to be replaced by the Mod 4 version. The funnel cap is missing in case of the Australian ships, which is easy to alter, because it is an extra PE part. There are likely some additional differences at the mast - but I would recommend to replace the PE parts of the mast in the kit by 3D parts. BigBlueBoy uses 2D parts (PE parts) too extensively. For sure, a MH-60R Seahawk helicopter is missing. Trumpeter's Seahawk should be fine, also SNAFU on Shapeways has MH-60R Seahawks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:15 am 

Thanks Maxim.
I think there's also the large satcom domes and sea sparrow launchers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:32 pm 

The satcoms are moved upwards compared to the Spanish ships - the platforms on the side of the bridge, where the satcoms on the Spanish are located, appear to be empty in case of the Australian ships. It could be that the satcoms on the Australian ships are larger. The Spanish ships have on the position, where the satcoms are on the Australian ships, something like an ECM. I am not sure, if this is located somewhere else on the Australian ships.

There are no Sea Sparrow launchers. ESSM (and SM-2) are launched on both classes from the VLS launchers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:21 pm 

Sadly, from what I can see, the Big Blue Boy 'Bazan' does not come with the correct size satcom domes for a Hobart class. The Cristobal Colon F-105 is the closest Spanish ship to the Hobart Class, but again sadly is not an available kit option.
Photo of HMAS Hobart with Sea Sparrow installed is attached..
Cheers

Attachments:
HMAS Hobart 39_01.jpg
HMAS Hobart 39_01.jpg [ 362.6 KiB | Viewed 1806 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:47 pm 

That's not Sea Sparrow (it's similar in shape, but the one you've circled is WAY smaller). Rather, that's an electro-optical search and track system, the Mk 20 Mod 0 Electro-Optical Sensor System produced by L-3 KEO (ex-Kollmorgen Electro-Optical). It's used on USN ships too. In your photo, it's rotated "down" so the lenses and such are less exposed, and the bumpiness in high rez versions of the photo are the rear of the device, presumably for heat dissipation - I've attached this below.

Here's an article with the front of the up close with more descriptions: https://www.militaryaerospace.com/compu ... and-planes

Attachments:
EOSS Mk20.jpg
EOSS Mk20.jpg [ 112.96 KiB | Viewed 1802 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:58 pm 

Thanks Timmy.
I had noticed it looked a bit small, but I couldn't work out what else it could be. I'm a newb to modern ships, so my knowledge on their weapons and systems isn't that great.
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:09 am 

moz wrote:
The Cristobal Colon F-105 is the closest Spanish ship to the Hobart Class, but again sadly is not an available kit option.

What is the difference of Cristobal Colon to the other Spanish ships, which is important to you?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:27 am 

From what I can see, Cristobel Colon F105 is a modified Bazan Class ship, modified to very similar spec to the Hobart Class, with the 2 larger satcom domes on the main superstructure, modified funnel top, 25mm typhoon mounts, satcom or AN/SPQ-9? dome behind the rear superstructure. That means less things to modify or find aftermarket.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:45 pm 

Cristobal Colon has no SPQ-9B radar and everything on the hangar is a bit different. Cristobal Colon has the two 25 mm guns there, the Hobart class has a Phalanx gun on top of the hangar. The 25 mm guns are on the bridge wings.

I think that the funnel top is easy - simply do not add the PE part for the funnel cap of the other Spanish ships. If it is not that simple, it would be simple to make the cap from some plastic sheet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:04 pm 

Thank you Maxim.
Phalanx is easy - plenty of nice ones in the FineMolds pack.

What give me most trouble are -
- satcom domes - size is unknown and a Shapeways set, if the correct size, would cost me US$39!! ModelMonkey does some, but again size is unknown.
- 25mm typhoon mounts - BigBlueBoy do them but none available anywhere
Cristobal Colon would solve both of these

- EOSS and AN/SPQ-9B are still a problem.

You are right with the funnel cap mod, but if it is already there, as in Cristobal Colon, all the easier! :smallsmile:

Modifying the front superstructure should not pose a real problem. I haven't picked up the differences in the hangar - I will have to look more closely at that, thank you.

Cheers