The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:34 pm 

Is it just me, or the camera angle with the water or does it look like it's offset to the right on the turret?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:23 am 

The markings? Could be either, like you said. :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:53 pm 

Hey Guys!! Finally I got my password reset!! No more being a guest! Lol anyways with Fujimi releasing the new 1/350 yukikaze . I must ask before I pour money into my next build. Which is more accurate this new fujimi kit or the Tamyia kit?? I'm looking at the linoleum deck layout ( specifically that around the first funnel right after the bridge) Or is this some fancy additional add one from fujimi?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:40 pm 

Also in regards to the degaussing coils. If you were to be building a late war kagero class DD. And you were to be using either the Tamyia or the soon Fujimi 1/350 kits. You could really only build Yukikaze and Nowaki. The other like Isokaze and Hamakaze and Ukikaze would require you to redo the placement of the degaussing coils correct? Even for late war?? I don't know if placement of these coils would change during the war with knowing that both Isokaze and Hamakaze both receiving damage around midwar and having them moved around like Maya and Mogami whom both (?) had there's deleted..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:22 pm 

Quote:
Which is more accurate this new fujimi kit or the Tamyia kit?

Overall, it's hard to say without having the Fujimi kit to review. No release until April.

Quote:
I'm looking at the linoleum deck layout ( specifically that around the first funnel right after the bridge) Or is this some fancy additional add one from fujimi

It's hard to say whether this new wrinkle is accurate or not. This tweak appears from time to time in some modeling interpretations. There are no clear photos of the area in question.

I do know that on the port side, outboard of the access ladder that leads to the aft end of the forecastle deck, is a small, triangular area that was used as an open wash tub for bathing. This was true for all the Type A destroyers, and I think pretty much for all of the rest as well. Whether it was lined with linoleum or not is anyone's guess. I do not believe there is any other linoleum on the port side in this area. Btw, both the Tamiya and Hasegawa kits DO have this area molded in, though it's a bit on the shallow side.

As far as the starboard side goes, none of the ship plans that I have show a line of linoleum. The Gran Prix Shuppan illustration volume on IJN DDs does show an illustration of Omani (Yugumo class) with a thin path of linoleum down that side, mostly between the TT trolley tracks. There is also the question of whether or not this was a feature that was discontinued or removed at some point. No way of knowing for sure. I tend to think not, but that's not the final word on it.

Quote:
If you were to be building a late war kagero class DD. And you were to be using either the Tamyia or the soon Fujimi 1/350 kits. You could really only build Yukikaze and Nowaki. The other like Isokaze and Hamakaze and Ukikaze would require you to redo the placement of the degaussing coils correct?

Correct. Also, Akigumo's pattern matches Yukikaze/Nowaki.

Quote:
Even for late war?? I don't know if placement of these coils would change during the war with knowing that both Isokaze and Hamakaze both receiving damage around midwar and having them moved around like Maya and Mogami whom both (?) had there's deleted..

It would not change. They just replicated the damaged area/pattern. They would waste as little time and material as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am 

Finally got the Tamiya Yukikaze Model delivered , and displayed , with BECC Fabric Flag , and Korean Infini Super-Detail Set ( which was very fiddly , apparently)
overall , delighted with the Model , and have ordered an Acrylic Display Case , to show off the Model at home , this Ship has always interested me since the early 1980's
when I bought Volume 2 of Profile Warship and read about the ' Snow Wind ' and her illustrious Fighting Record in the IJN -
note Naval War Paperback Collection in the background .....Model by Steve Bowe

Last edited by 73north on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:43 pm 

That's good. Would like to see a few more pics, perhaps a little sharper as well. You could also post those to the Completed Picture Post section.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:42 pm 
Hi there everyone!

I'm planning on getting the 1/700 Skywave Hamakaze-1945 kit and was wondering if anyone knew the paint color for it.
I am currently working on Hasegawa's 1/700 Akagi, and am looking for a destroyer to help test out some new techniques,
however I'm unsure what arsenal it came from, for ex. Akagi was painted in the Sasebo Arsenal, which is slightly darker than others.
If anyone knows what color it was painted in at the time of the Ten-Ichi-Go operation, it would be duly appreciated.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:12 pm 

Checking her TROM it appears that she underwent repairs at Kure from a collision, in early 1945: http://www.combinedfleet.com/hamaka_t.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:38 pm 
Thank you Dan,
I'll be sure to check combinedfleet next time in order to find out these things.

The help is duly appreciated

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:09 am 

Dan K wrote:
That's good. Would like to see a few more pics, perhaps a little sharper as well. You could also post those to the Completed Picture Post section.

done - thank you
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=164975&p=716657#p716657

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:17 am 

New-mold Yugumo and Hayanami from Hasegawa this summer:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10460314
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10460310

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:11 pm 

I wonder if anyone will produce dedicated PE for either of those?

Getting PE for an Early-War Kagerō is a pain in the neck.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:01 pm 

For certain someone will, if not Hasegawa themselves. First new 1/700 DD kit for them in 35-40+ years. Hoping it's good.

Time to start their own class thread, I think.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:17 pm 
Hi there,
I have a question concerning the layout of the linoleum decking on Hamakaze.
I recently purchased Kagero publishing's Kagero book, and there are several differences I've noticed.
One of them is the layout of the linoleum aft of the forecastle. Kagero does not have any decking aft of the forecastle.
However, Hamakaze and Yukikaze are shown as having just aft of the forecastle. Are these differences normal between ships of the Kagero class?
Additionally, I noticed Kagero was lacking the "cabin"(not really sure what it is) below the signal deck, whereas Yukikaze and Hamakaze both have the "cabin."
Again is this normal? Also, were these features added as the design teams realized a need for them?

Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:05 pm 

It's hard to say if linoleum was ever placed on the main deck immediately aft the forecastle break. Some references show it, others don't. Photographic evidence is non-existant, AFAIK. It may be an assumption on the part of modelers and illustrators, carried over from earlier classes that often did have some linoleum in that area.

Of the references that do show it, it is often assymmetrically placed on the starboard side, while only a linoleum lined washtub area sits to port. Whatever the practice, it may have also varied by ship and yard.

Regarding the extra compartment: late war ships had radar added a top of a revised foremast. A dedicated compartment was added to the rear of the bridge, under the compass bridge deck level. I don't have the publication, but it sounds like the Kagero is in an early war fir.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:46 pm 

The Omani site has sprue photos of the new 1/350 Fujimi NEXT release of Yukikaze 1945: http://mokehana.blog34.fc2.com/blog-entry-849.html

This kit does have an insert for assymetrical linoleum aft the forecastle break, FWIW. One piece turrets and nicely shaped froward torpedo reload bays. Can't stand the roll off depth charge racks, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:58 am 

part 2 of the in-box look at the Fujimi 1/350 Yukikaze NEXT kit: http://mokehana.blog34.fc2.com/blog-entry-851.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:37 pm 

Parts 3 & 4 - I suppose it's actually a W-I-P report

http://mokehana.blog34.fc2.com/blog-entry-856.html

http://mokehana.blog34.fc2.com/blog-entry-857.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:01 am 

Dan K wrote:
I'm not sure. Arashi and Nowaki show wood shoring lashed to the top and side of the aft deck house in mid 1941, but I'm not clear when the larger lattice framework appeared. I want to look further.

Hi Dan,

Speaking of these two destroyers, which Tamiya kit would be closer to modelling both of these destroyers in 1/350 scale?

Would one use the Tamiya 1/350 Kagero kit or the Yukikaze kit? I hope it's just a matter of changing the hiragana decals/pennant numbers on either kit.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next