The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:58 pm 

Makes sense, thanks for the info guys. The same thing happens with the hull reds I presume.

So changing the topic a bit, I'm also planning on doing a late-war fit of a Kagero-Class but in 1/700. The newest mold is the Fujimi Next, but I am not sure how good it is, being snap-fit and all. Maybe an older mold is better? :scratch: I know about the Yugumo with the Kagero deck but not about the normal Kagero one, so that's why I ask. Also, any idea for a good PE set to replace the over scaled parts on this kit? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:22 pm 

I have the both the Fujimi "regular" Yukikaze kit and their Yugumo NEXT kits (which is only missing the Kagero class bridge pieces to qualify as a Kagero class kit) and IMHO, the NEXT kit is superior in terms of detail and sharpness. Plus the hull lies flat. I had used the Aoshima hull and a Fujimi regular kit aft deckhouse for a build of Isokaze in late 1944 (gallery to be posted eventually), but that was before the NEXT kit came out. Doing it again, I would definitely use the NEXT late war hull, though that degaussing cable pattern precludes Isokaze.

Now, having said that, the ideal would be to kit-bash the Fujimi regular and NEXT kit parts. Which is pretty much what I'm doing in a very slow, very low priority side build. The NEXT hull and aft deckhouse are clearly superior, the bridge likely so. OTOH, the regular kit funnels and RDF compartment don't have the sink holes that the NEXT kits has, and the funnels are superior. Plus, the regular kit waterline plate fits almost perfectly (see below). If you are going to use styrene masts, then the regular kit parts are better scaled.

It is a bit of a pain to eliminate all the holes in the decking where the NEXT small parts go, but one could actually glue in those next parts and then slice them off at the deck level, before inserting and/or gluing the deck piece into the hull There are plenty of good aftermarket styrene accessories for things like 25mm AA, davits, boats, etc.

As far as PE goes, Fujimi's own set for the NEXT kit looks decent. Five Star also makes a regular and an "easy" full PE set for the Fujimi kit, and these are likely superior to the Fujimi set. (For the life of me, I can't see what the difference between the two Five Star sets are.) The only qualifier for all of these PE sets is that these all use solid splinter shielding around the 25mmAA positions, when in fact they were just canvas covered railings.

Attachments:
Isokaze (A) Oct 1944 port.jpg
Isokaze (A) Oct 1944 port.jpg [ 317.98 KiB | Viewed 3779 times ]
Isokaze (A) Oct 1944 strbrd.jpg
Isokaze (A) Oct 1944 strbrd.jpg [ 314.16 KiB | Viewed 3779 times ]
NEXT 20190416_093816_resized.jpg
NEXT 20190416_093816_resized.jpg [ 283.01 KiB | Viewed 3779 times ]
NEXT 20190416_093644_resized.jpg
NEXT 20190416_093644_resized.jpg [ 314.47 KiB | Viewed 3779 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:34 pm 

Versus similar work on the regular Fujimi kit, which needed extra work to flatten, and needed a customized waterline plate.

Of course, my experience may not be shared by others. Feel free to chime in :smallsmile:

Attachments:
DSCN9712.JPG
DSCN9712.JPG [ 55.76 KiB | Viewed 3777 times ]
DSCN9713.JPG
DSCN9713.JPG [ 53.57 KiB | Viewed 3777 times ]
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:57 am 

To me it is a surpise that No. 2 funnel is painted white on all 3 destroyers. I wonder if that is correct and if yes were these funnels painted white on all destroyers taking part in this operation?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:30 am 

berend wrote:
To me it is a surpise that No. 2 funnel is painted white on all 3 destroyers. I wonder if that is correct and if yes were these funnels painted white on all destroyers taking part in this operation?

Wasn't just DDs...a photo taken of Nachi during this period also shows her aft funnel painted white.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:27 am 

If these were runs to Kolombangara in the Jan 22-24, 1943 timeframe, they were likely not troop evacuations, but transport runs with equipment, fuel & ammunition for the airfield under construction there. Unfortunately they were interdicted by USN surface units and a/c & most of the materiel destroyed or rendered useless.

But, wherever this was taken, I must say it's pretty hard to believe they would have towed that daihatsu (or whatever it is) at high speed for any length of time...

I think MYOKO may have also had a funnel painted white at some point (later) in her wartime career. But I can't swear to it just now. I have one photo that suggests it, but it is not a good image & I cannot tell the exact date or location.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:46 pm 

On the market three Yukikaze 1/350 kits are available: Tamiya, Hasegawa and Fujimi.
What is considered the best Yukikaze kit in 1/350m scale?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:38 pm 

Well, the Hasegawa kit is slightly overscale, and I think surpassed by the other two.

The Fujimi kit is a NEXT kit, with colored parts and snap together fit. That doesn't mean it isn't accurate or well-molded, just that some smaller parts may be stouter to accommodate the pressure of being snapped into place. A dedicated PE set is available, which helps.

The Tamiya kit is superb in terms of scale and accuracy, to my way of thinking. However, some components, like the turrets and torpedo shields, are multi part assemblies, which complicates assembly. Lots of small seams.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:09 am 

Brand new Kagero class kit has emerged - made by Pit-Road, allegedly in cooperation with Flyhawk:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10636479

Available renders and photos reveal that this may be the ultimate Kagero in 1/700. This particular boxing contains parts and decals for 15 and 18 DesDiv vessels in their initial configurations, sadly lacking degaussing cable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:26 am 

Yes, mine has arrived and it is excellent, at least at first glance. A review to come. Molded just like a Flyhawk/Kajika kit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 am 

Thanks, but as I wrote, I am asking about 1/350 scale Yukikaze (Kagero class) kit.

Fivi_1241 wrote:
Brand new Kagero class kit has emerged - made by Pit-Road, allegedly in cooperation with Flyhawk:
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10636479

Available renders and photos reveal that this may be the ultimate Kagero in 1/700. This particular boxing contains parts and decals for 15 and 18 DesDiv vessels in their initial configurations, sadly lacking degaussing cable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:46 am 

My comments regarding the Hasegawa, Fujimi NEXT and Tamiya kit are 1/350.

Fivi is referring to a new 1/700 kit, which has just been released.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:52 pm 

Thanks for provided info, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Dan K wrote:
Well, the Hasegawa kit is slightly overscale, and I think surpassed by the other two.

The Fujimi kit is a NEXT kit, with colored parts and snap together fit. That doesn't mean it isn't accurate or well-molded, just that some smaller parts may be stouter to accommodate the pressure of being snapped into place. A dedicated PE set is available, which helps.

The Tamiya kit is superb in terms of scale and accuracy, to my way of thinking. However, some components, like the turrets and torpedo shields, are multi part assemblies, which complicates assembly. Lots of small seams.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:07 pm 

What's the verdict on the newish tool Aoshima 1/700 Shiranui? Is it any good at all?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:09 am 

This is one of their periodic re-issues of their circa 1990s tooling. Generally good shapes, light on details, no portholes or degaussing cable, early war fit IIRC.Good for super-detailng.

For early war fit and more detail, I would recommend the new Pit-Road Kagero kit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:53 pm 

Thanks Dan

I've been able to look at the kit myself now and it does appear light on detail. Sometimes I'd rather just enhance a nicely detailed kit rather than super detail a less detailed kit. I also spotted it's late war fit and I've already got 3 late war Fujimi ones, so if I get another, I'd go for an early war one

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 pm 

Hello All, I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

I built my first ship, Tamiya’s 1/350 Yukikaze. I am using Tamiya’s (PONTOS) detail up set, and I also have INFINI’s detail up set and torpedo rails (will use what IMHO is best from every set).

Since my references on the ship are limited to a few photos I managed to gather last years from the net, I would like to ask you about the port holes…
Do we drill them or not??? To my mind it is obvious that I will use PONTOS’s port holes photo etched replacements. So … in “1945 configuration” … do we use “standard open port holes” or “sealed port holes”.

I understand that at some point IJN sealed the port holes (which ones?) for some reason… My limited references on my subject … create my questions!!!

Can you please help me?
With Kind Regards
Paris T.

Last edited by Timmy C on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Merged into Kagero class thread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:02 am 

please see me answer on the main message board

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:21 pm 

Dan K wrote:

I should have read this tread before I got my 1940 Yukikaze by Hasegawa :big_grin: However, I won my kit on a very neat price on eBay, and it had a nice Kawanishi H8K as a bonus. So farб I can tell that the parts fit well and it looks good. If is is not to scale, it is sad but not very much.

Post subject: IJN destroyers question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:13 pm 

Would most, if not all, of a PE set for IJN Kagero equally fit an IJN Yukikaze? Same manufacturer and scale.
:wave_1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 429 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next