The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:27 pm 

On the question of the lattice framework, there is no certainty as to exactly when this additonal lattice work first appeared in the starboard aft position. I think late 1943, based on its appearance on other DD types, such as the rebuilt Harusame. There is a pic of Isokaze in late 1944 with what appears to be a head-on view of the latticework.

On the question of which Kagero type appears in the photo at Rabaul in 1943 (with the major components of a mid to late war fit), concensus of contributors on j-ships seems to be Yukikaze. The height of the placement of the galley exhaust pipe on #1 funnel seems to uniquely identify her as Yukikaze. Of all the other Kagero types whose possible presence could be placed here, only Hamakaze cannot be eliminated.

And, based on a readiing of the oiler Naruto's TROM (from Gakkn #45), the 3 ships in the picture are almost certainly Yukikaze, Hamakaze and Kiyonami after the Battle of Kolombangara.

This is good news for anyone who wants to use a late war Yukikaze kit to depict a ship as early as mid-1943.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:13 pm 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:14 am 

Can anyone point me to a clear photo or illustration of what appear to be an enclosed crow's nest with a big forward window that Kagero class carried high up on the fore mast before radar installation?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:56 am 

Not sure that the opening was enclosed but ........

The lookout position design appears to be identical for all DD types. First photo is of a Kagero type foretop circa 1942, the 2nd is of Hibiki prewar, via Fukui. Lastly is Yukikaze postwar via NHC.

Attachments:
Foremast of a kagero classDD.jpg
Foremast of a kagero classDD.jpg [ 54.58 KiB | Viewed 3938 times ]
Hibiki - Fubuki Type III Bridge Signaling small.jpg
Hibiki - Fubuki Type III Bridge Signaling small.jpg [ 130.68 KiB | Viewed 3938 times ]
Yukikaze postwar #1.jpg
Yukikaze postwar #1.jpg [ 52.44 KiB | Viewed 3938 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:02 pm 

I am also not entirely sure it was a crow's nest. The single large window forward would make it hard for the lookout in it to see out to the side and immposible to see out to the rear. Who would perch a lookout so high up on the mast and then allow him to only look straight to the front?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:09 pm 

Greetings

I am currently building a 1/350 model of Makigumo, a Yugumo class DD. My father was on the Hornet which was sunk by this ship plus Akigumo.

If anyone has a photo of the ship or can direct me to one other than the one on Wikipedia, please let me know.

Thanks.

Fred Branyan
fredb1048@aol.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:17 am 

Other than the one I sent you? :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:28 pm 

Hi guys,

I am a total newbie. I'm about to build my very first ship model, very bravely I might add to jump into the 1/350th scale right away. Anyway, I bought (from Pacific Front, thanks Bill!) the Hasegawa Isokaze Super Detail kit plus the Lion Roar LS350011 IJN Destroyer Kagero Detail set. I looked at the Isokaze set and saw that it had three gun turrets while the Lion Roar is for two turrets only. Would it be okay to ditch one of the turrets from the Isokaze? Will that make it into a later model? I do have some more questions but I'll stick to that for now. Thanks in advance!

-Joseph

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:09 am 

Most ships from all of the Type A IJN DD classes (excepting the Yugumos) exchanged #2 main mount aft for increased 25mmAA, in the 1943-44 timeframe. By late 1944, Isokaze had two triple 25mms in that emplacement.

The Hasegawa kit is designed to let you build early, mid, and late war fits so, you're OK with your plan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:16 pm 

Thanks for the reply Dan. I finally opened the kit and examined the intructions. There is an option to build it as a later model, with only two turrets. I'll get started working on this. I hope to finish this kit within this year (or lifetime). I'll try to do a build log. Wish me luck!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 pm 

Best of luck! :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:37 pm 

Hello everyone , i was wondering if any one knew what the destroyer IJN Nowaki might have looked like during the battle of Samar when she was sunk while a attending with the survivors of the heavy cruiser IJN Chikuma. I was builing a pit-road IJN Yukikaze for my Ten-go fleet and kinda messed up the deck and with fujimi releasing a new IJN Yukikaze 1/700 I have desided to convert it to the IJN Nowaki. and last did IJN Nowaki have her x turret on in late 1944 or was that replaced buy a triple gun mount? thanks guys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:03 pm 

Yes, by late 1944, all the remaining Kagero types had X turret replaced by two triple 25mm mounts.

OTOH, they will still retain their forward 7m cutters/boats and davits without splinter shielding or single 25mm AA in those areas.

Below is a view of Isokaze in Oct 1944 at Brunei, right before Leyte Gulf. View is looking aft from the starboard side of the forecastle, right next to a cutter and the bridge.

Attachments:
Isokaze, October, 1944 at Leyte Gulf, small.jpg
Isokaze, October, 1944 at Leyte Gulf, small.jpg [ 115.5 KiB | Viewed 3732 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:32 pm 

wow thank you so much :thumbs_up_1: so would the differences between Nowaki and 1945 Yukikaze pretty much that just throw on the forward boats, take off the 25mm singles by the bridge and i should be good? oh and what about the metal plates in front of the single 25mm guns would that be there or is that some thing that was done in 45. I have seen the metal plates in front of the single 25mm guns on other ships Ex. IJN Kongo , but would destroyers have this on them in 44?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 am 

(note to moderators: At some point, it would be best to join this thread to the CASF Kagero thread - thx)

I'm not certain that any of the 25mm singles have splinter shielding at the sides of the main deck until after Leyte Gulf. I believe this was a development afterwards for the remaining DDs.

To help with her AA layout as of late summer 1944, below is a sketch of 3 of the Kagero types by Shizuo Fukui. Nowaki is at the bottom. To paraphase what I just wrote about a similar sketch for Fuso:

>As a naval constructor, one of Fukui's assignments was to sketch the AA layouts of various remaining IJN ships during the summer of 1944. These were all published in a series of very hard to find ship type historys in Japan. These sketches are considered authoritive as they were made first hand by someone whose job it was to know.<

One more thing, if you really, really want to be accurate. Contrary to misinformation perpetuated by virtually every 1/700 & 1/350 IJN DD kit (except the new Ayanami), none of the late war ships had metal splinter shielding around the twin and triple 25mm AA emplacements EXCEPT the Yugumo and Matsu types. Prior to those, everything is canvas and rope splinter shielding. The kit manufacturers keep mistaking taut, stretched canvas for for metal shielding.

View the crop below from the same Isokaze 1944 photo. This is a closeup of the starboard triple 25mm AA mounted in front of #2 funnel. Take a good look at the sides of the emplacement. There are several other examples available from various ships and classes.

Bonus, if you look under the left edge of the emplacement, you can see the front ends of damage control lumber stacked on a light scaffold attahed to the aft deckhouse, starboard side. Also, the men in the foreground are standing atop the starboard bank of forward TT reloads. The #1 TT mount is the larger, tarp covered object behind them.

Attachments:
Isokaze-Hamakaze-Nowaki official refit drawing, Shizuo Fukui v#5, DD story, p273.jpg
Isokaze-Hamakaze-Nowaki official refit drawing, Shizuo Fukui v#5, DD story, p273.jpg [ 54.89 KiB | Viewed 3651 times ]
Isokaze, October, 1944 at Leyte Gulf crop of 25mm.jpg
Isokaze, October, 1944 at Leyte Gulf crop of 25mm.jpg [ 82.81 KiB | Viewed 3651 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:47 pm 

wow thank you once again for the great help :smallsmile: i am now in the process of transforming the destroyer into Nowak! thanks again!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:26 am 

Hello guys! I seen that Fujimi has just came out with a new 1/700 IJN Yukikaze & Urakaze 1945 Code: FUJ40096 Series: Sea Way Model!!! i was wondering if any one has bought one or/and built one? they look awesome but i do have one concern, and that is with the decks. its hard to tell but unlike the pit-road Yukikaze the new fujimi Yukikaze doesn't have the lines for the linoleum strips or the anti-skid deck in the middle or at depth charge area in the rear, nor at the very front. If this is so, is there any way to fix this problem. You can view the product here at http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10125125. Oh and there also soon to come out with a IJN Destroyer Hamakaze/Isokaze TOO !!! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:11 pm 

I'm surprised at that, all of their new toolings have the linleum strips and anti skid tread. How do you know this is missing ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:36 pm 

Atma wrote:
aleccap wrote:
Found this wonderful looking IJN destroyer from Fujimi in 1-700, price tag inc shipping is around $40.00 the name Akizuki, and wondering if anyone has actually built this ship.
Attachment:
!B4JR8yQBWk~$(KGrHqUOKjUEyK,d1R)YBMo)-evgr!~~_12.jpg
IJN destroyer Akizuki

Aleccap, this destoyer is new mold.Now speaking about detail, well if you liked how Fujimi's Nagato is made then prepare to be blow apart by the level of detail such a small ship can have.You will not find that level of detail in any Destoryer in 1/700 by Dragon or Trumpeter.And did I mention that is 2 in one box ?
In simple words, is modeling heaven.
And in Hobby Link and Hobby Search online shop as Timmy mentioned before me is up for 25 dollars, the 45 dollars sounds bizzare...(In Norway it cost 18 euros).

Fujimi's nice, I rather admire the expertise they've built in their product development department able to churn out kits at such speed. However to be perfectly objective, the Fujimi 'detail' is somewhat hit and miss. The main issue, perhaps as a consequence of their fast turn-around time (guess alluminium molds) is molding sharpness. The new nagato is a case in point. Yes detail wise it even trumpted their Kongo class, but I really cannot stand the roundness of all the bulkheads and ... everything. There are serious implications for scale if these edges are not treated.

I have the kit and their dedicated PE set (which is quite nice, as it came with 2 sets of barrels as well!). Far superior to the old kit of course but if you are going to superdetail, difference is not major.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:20 pm 

1)Why you quote my reply from Akizuki thread ?
2)Your point is, no detail to plastic cause anyway we are going overdetail with P.E. ?
Im an out of box builder most of the times, and I find the original(the plastic ones) barrels of Fujimi's Nagato/Mutsu more than satisfied compared to other plastic Battleships in 1/700, almost equal to resin kits.And on top of that, please if you can find any overscale/underscale part in the new Fujimi's Nagato/Mutsu guide my eyes, please.
And the Yukikaze had only linoleum strips at the stern and around the bridge + number 1# turret, I got the Yukikaze from Fujimi and I cant find atm any mistakes or errors in detail(under/overscale etc).
Dan maybe can help us with his knowledge in IJN Destoyers, but looking at my Fujimi's Yukikaze I cant find any error with it.

potchip wrote:
Fujimi's nice, I rather admire the expertise they've built in their product development department able to churn out kits at such speed. However to be perfectly objective, the Fujimi 'detail' is somewhat hit and miss.

The casemate issue in Kongo and Haruna is the only mistake I ever heard and witnessed in my Fujimi's new retooling kits.Do you find any other mistakes in Kongo and Haruna ? Or in your Nagato or any other Fujimi's new retooling kit ?
If not, how that makes Fujimi's detail(in the new retooling models) a hit and miss case ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next