The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:48 pm 

Quote:
While the record on the Funnel Bands might be incomplete, and that of the Administrative Hiragana (or is it Katakana?) not firmly adhered to, where might I find that which we do know (and that which is suspected, and so on) of each?

AFAIK, no one has ever fully documented the funnel band changes. I certainly haven't. Too much is unknown.

Quote:
at least 3 or 4 different degaussing patterns

That we know of. The photo record is woefully incomplete. There aren't even photos of all 19 Kageros. So, the same hurdle remains for the tertiary piping, though there are more commissioning/trials photos of the ships. I think that at least 12 Kageros have photos that can ID this arrangement on funnel #1.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:32 am 

Dan K wrote:
These two attachments should help.

Wow...those are officially the third and fourth pics of Natsushio I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:42 am 

Dear All

Continuing my research on Yukikaze and before I take my sanding sticks and my strips of Tamiya 0,1mm Plastic Paper to replicate the alternating longitudinal bands to replicate the hull plating, I have to ask my last (?) question of this issue.

I have as my guide Kagero’s Publications 3D plans for IJN Kagero plus photos of the new Pit-Road / Flyhawk 1/700 Yukikaze. They both clearly depict on the ship’s stern, 3 rows of longitudinal bands replicating hull plating above waterline. On the other hand my 1/350 Tamiya kit has 2 rows of longitudinal bands replicating hull plating above waterline.

Dan … any thoughts, Sir?

I can’t make my mind studying photos of the real vessel. Sometimes I “see” 3 rows and other times I “see” 2 rows…

In the end I will choose a path and stick to it… The only reason I make this question is to make sure that there is nothing major I am missing on the ship’s history.

I am NOT going to “count any more rivets” on this issue, but if you have any thoughts on this, I would be grateful to read them.

Thank you All and be safe.

Paris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:26 am 

Quote:
I am NOT going to “count any more rivets” on this issue

I'll bet. Should I hold my breath on this? :big_grin:

Factually, there appear to be 3 bands of plating, BUT the waterline divides the bottom band in half. So, technically, there are two and a half bands above the waterline mark. See below.

The actual end point of Yukikaze's stern in the photo below is just a few feet further to the right and out of view.

Akishimo is a following Yugumo class ship, but the hulls are essentially the same, save for the inclined stern of the Yugumo type. It's pretty clear.

Attachments:
Shiranuhi in Maizuru drydock, 9-1942 aft crop.jpg
Shiranuhi in Maizuru drydock, 9-1942 aft crop.jpg [ 714.55 KiB | Viewed 1182 times ]
Yukikaze 111-SC-286587.jpg
Yukikaze 111-SC-286587.jpg [ 522.58 KiB | Viewed 1182 times ]
Akishimo, 2-1944, under construction at Fujinagata shipyard, osaka, japan, fukui shizuo collection alt.jpg
Akishimo, 2-1944, under construction at Fujinagata shipyard, osaka, japan, fukui shizuo collection alt.jpg [ 351.06 KiB | Viewed 1182 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:38 am 

Dan K wrote:
Quote:

Dan ... I would NOT place my bet on that ... but I have all the good intention to at least try ... :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Now ... seriously Sir ... THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I needed. The 3rd photo is new to me!!! Everything is clear!!!

Wishing you a great weekend.

Regards

Paris

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 3:06 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Quote:

Factually, there appear to be 3 bands of plating, BUT the waterline divides the bottom band in half. So, technically, there are two and a half bands above the waterline mark. See below.

The actual end point of Yukikaze's stern in the photo below is just a few feet further to the right and out of view.

Akishimo is a following Yugumo class ship, but the hulls are essentially the same, save for the inclined stern of the Yugumo type. It's pretty clear.

I just noticed something about Degaussing Cables in the first photo:

Attachment:
File comment: Shiranuhi in Maizuru Drydock, 9-1942
FEC0257D-2837-4E77-B788-52ADA109C5F1.jpeg
FEC0257D-2837-4E77-B788-52ADA109C5F1.jpeg [ 718.08 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]

The Degaussing Cable here looks to have a “cover” of some sort over it.

While I have seen other photos where the cables are exposed (even on the little Sub-Chasers I am now trying to re-build after a catastrophe with the maid and then flooding — Ironic that ships would be harmed by flooding, even if just models), I have noticed on IJN and Allied Ships that some have what appears to be a cover over the DeGaussing Cable.

Do you know anything about this, and why some look to have a cover (or have a cover in actuality) and some just show the exposed cables with brackets attached directly over the cables?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:55 pm 

Do you know anything about this, and why some look to have a cover (or have a cover in actuality) and some just show the exposed cables with brackets attached directly over the cables?

Well, I'm aware of the practice, but I'm not sure why a box cover was used in some circumstances, and not in others. I suspect that the idea was to provide some protection against sea action, weather, and possibly shell splinters. I think that as the war dragged on, and material shortages loomed, there was less of an inclination to use the enclosure.

This is not a certainty. There are photos of various DDs early in the war either without a cover, or showing a mix of cable in which some, but not all, is exposed. Like the one of Asashio below.

The same is true for larger vessels.

Attachments:
Asashio with Daihatsu, November 9, 1942 at Sasebo B.jpg
Asashio with Daihatsu, November 9, 1942 at Sasebo B.jpg [ 255.32 KiB | Viewed 1021 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22