The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:25 pm 

Tetra has introduced a 1941 & 1945 Kagero class PE set for the 1/700 Pit-Road kits:

http://www.tetramodel.co.kr/index.php/s ... -pit-road/

http://www.tetramodel.co.kr/index.php/s ... -pit-road/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:07 am 

So, what's the verdict on the Fujimi 1/700 Kagero class kits? I'm looking at the Hamakaze+Isokaze dual pack and it seems to be great value. Am I right in seeing it provides decals for the linoleum decks? Those look like they could be a fantastic time and hassle saver for painting the deck and adjacent superstructure, how are they to work with?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:01 pm 

It looks like the Fujimi "Easy" versions do come with a linoleum decal or sticker. I have no idea how effective those are.

A lot of folks like the kits. I haven't built one yet, just assembled a hull, but I have been using the funnels to kitbash some Aoshima versions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:16 pm 

As I'm building Amatsukaze in 1/350 as she appeared in 1941, I would like to inquire about any notable differences between herself and her sister ships, mainly versus Yukikaze and Kagerou.

From what I could find, most Kagerou classes were more or less thesame during the outbreak of war in 1941 save for obvious differences in the degaussing cables. So I was wondering whether anyone has any info on anything that was unique to Amatsukaze.

Also, as for the AA platform immediatly infront of the 2nd funnel, anyone know how the canvas works there? as Ive yet to see a picture in which the whole thing was covered, most of them have canvases only on the sides, and one picture i saw even had canvas only on one side of the platform.

Perhaps Im not digging hard enough :/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:41 pm 

Outside of the degaussing cables, there is nothing that could physically distinguish one sister from another. Different ships may arrange the torpedo adjustment tables atop the rear deck house differently, or possibly have rope splinter shielding on the bridge face, but impossible to say without a photo.

Here's a pic of an emplacement aboard the Shiratsuyu class Samidare with full canvas:

Attachments:
Samidare midsection, prewar, MS #24.JPG
Samidare midsection, prewar, MS #24.JPG [ 134.1 KiB | Viewed 2917 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:20 am 

Dan K wrote:
Having looked more closely at the AKA set, I confess I did not realize it could accommodate an early war fit. However, you end up spending extra money for a lot of stuff you won't be using.

The only fit issue with the set is the lack of an opening at the front of each torpedo reload stowage to each side of #1 funnel. This is not set killer, just a quibble.

I missed this reply.

What do you mean an opening at the front of each Torpedo reload storage?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 4 - 7
HIJMS Sub-Chasers No. 13 - 16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:13 am 

Look on page 9, 2012 It was discussed.
Hth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:36 pm 

JCRAY wrote:
Look on page 9, 2012 It was discussed.
Hth

By "Front" do you mean "Sides" (the sides facing the Port/Starboard on each side?

From p. 9, it looks like some of them have some hatches, and then an open-space, and some are just up on stilts the entire length.

The hatches are easy to correct for. But knowing which ships had which configuration is a beach of a problem (pardon the language).

Any ideas?

Also, are there any diagrams of the correct degaussing cable patterns, since it appears I am doing over half of the Kagerō-class of ships.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:59 pm 

Oh, and for anyone else cruising through this thread, p. 8 is where the discussion of the front/sides of the Torpedo-reload bays side-plating begins.

And it contains a photo that more accurately describes the issue.

The AKA set definitely has the Torpedo-reloads with the front end (the actual front and the P/S side next to the "front") plated over, which might be a little difficult to open up.

Looking at the actual set. This would be a nightmare to actually alter.

BUT.... If money isn't a primary concern, their are other PE sets which seem to have a more correct torpedo reload.

For most of my Kagerō-class DDs, I have bought the Five-Star PE set, which includes everything needed for an early-war outfit SAVE for the Masts. And since I have decided that I am probably going to be building these masts out of brass, styrene, and epoxy-putty, that is no longer such an issue. But the Torpedo Reloads have the Torpedo-Reload bays that look easier to modify with open fronts.

I do have at least one AKA set or three for the Kagerōs I have, and one to three of the Five Star Sets.

Neither set has the stern Paravane cranes for the Early-war DD outfit, though, but these are plentiful as aftermarket parts.

This seems like a project that Infini-models would be well-suited to correct for 1/700 Kagerō. Don't they already produce an excellent set for the 1/350 Yukikaze?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:17 pm 

Yes, Infini has exquisite sets for both the 1/350 Kagero and Yukikaze kits. As for the opening , see the 9th photo down from this weekend's feature: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

I cover everything that is currently known about the degaussing cable patterns in the Kagero kit review: http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... /index.htm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:36 pm 

Dan K wrote:
Yes, Infini has exquisite sets for both the 1/350 Kagero and Yukikaze kits. As for the opening , see the 9th photo down from this weekend's feature: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

I cover everything that is currently known about the degaussing cable patterns in the Kagero kit review: http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... /index.htm

While it mentions that the Tamiya kit's Degaussing Cable pattern is that of Yukikaze (and thus of some of her sisters), and that at least two other patterns exist, the review doesn't say what those patterns are, only that they are different from the Yukikaze.

What was different about them isn't covered.

So... What was different about them?

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:06 pm 

Here's a visual. I hand drew in the patterns, based on a schematic of Yukikaze's postwar appearances in Gakken #45. Ignore all superstructure configurations and just focus on the original hulls and the degaussing cable patterns. There may be a fourth pattern, a marriage of Yukikaze's bow section and Isokaze's stern section, as partially seen on an unidentified member of DesDiv 17 in October, 1941. It's probably Hamakaze, though there is a small chance it's Urakaze.

Attachments:
Kagero Class Degaussing Cable Patterns sm.jpg
Kagero Class Degaussing Cable Patterns sm.jpg [ 191.25 KiB | Viewed 2760 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:47 pm 

Thanks.

I can make a copy of that.

Why did you not use 3 profiles of a Kagerō?

Not that it is a huge a deal.

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:31 pm 

With three illustrations on one page, it was just easier and quicker. Plus, these drawings have portholes and mooring bits, which make it easier to align and mark off the cable lines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:52 pm 

Hello!

In December Fujimi launched an even newer version of their Yukikaze in their Kan Next series. No good photos available so far, but 3D pic shows that we might get an even finer detail here, and, sadly, the same degaussing cable pattern of Yukikaze as seen on previous kit.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10417268

Even more interestingly, they are also about to release this thing:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10423622

Which seems to be a set of an early war Kagero with pseudo-Kagero from a TV series. I bet it will also be a Yukikaze-style degaussing cable, even though Hamakaze is mentioned in the name of the kit. Welp, I guess that as long as we aren't 100% sure that Hamakaze had a mixed pattern, it is not really incorrect to build Hamakaze with Yukikaze's pattern, isn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 pm 

No one can prove you wrong. Nor will that change unless some more photos surface.

The Next version looks to be the same kit with colored parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:26 am 

Dan K wrote:
You are absolutely correct, Geno. Not sure how I forgot about that. That's Yamakaze, Shiratsuyu class, sunk by Nautilus on June 25, 1942. The turret draped flags seem specific to the period of time surrounding the Midway operation. I'm not certain that their use predated Midway.

Archive diving today....

I've been searching for info on this and haven't come up with anything really. Was this a practice for a single operation - Midway? Is there evidence that it extended later?

Do we know whether these were on all Japanese ships? On more than one turret?

(As an example of searching, I've been looking around at online box art for 1/700 models and don't find any that have this included.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:42 am 

Well, I have photos of Atago and Mogami's (dated April, 1943, after rebuild-conversion) #1 main turret with a hinomaru on a square white background. So, the practiced endured, at least for a little while. Though those might have been for home waters only, to avoid attack by their own aircraft.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:20 pm 

Dammit!

I cannot find the photo now, but just Wednesday I saw a photo of a sinking IJN Destroyer (one of their later First-class Destroyers. I cannot recall the name, other than it might have begun with a 'Y'), torpedoed by a submarine (the photo looked to be through the periscope of the sub that sank her) that very clearly had a Hinomaru in a white square on the forward turret.

And the date was labeled sometime in late-1942.

So obviously the practice endured at least a while (which means that I will need to find out more about it, since everything I have right now is 1941 - 1942 period).

MB

Working on:

1/700 (All Fall 1942):
HIJMS Nagara
HIJMS Aoba & Kinugasa
USS San Francisco
USS Helena
USS St. Louis
USS Laffey & Farenholt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:44 pm 

That was Yamakaze (Shiratsuyu class) sunk on June 25, 1942 by USS Nautilus, off Japan

Attachments:
Yamakaze sinking photo #1.jpg
Yamakaze sinking photo #1.jpg [ 34 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 427 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next