The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:03 pm 

Hi,

I'd like to make a start on my Mirage German WW1 torpedoboat 'A86' but am really struggling to find anything at all on this class of boats - especially drawings or even photographs. I'd like to be able to detail and 'finesse' this kit but have nothing to go on.

Does anyone know of a source for information on this and similar small destroyers/torpedoboats of the Kriegsmarine (I have the Mirage 'V106' as well)? They have a real archaic or 'steam-punk' look.

Thanks (in anticipation!)

Cheers,

GrahamB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:19 pm 

Dreadnought Project has a side profile of a V116-118 class, but I'm not sure how helpful it is for the Mirage kits: http://dreadnoughtproject.org/plans/SM_V116-118_1916/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:52 pm 

GrahamB wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know of a source for information on this and similar small destroyers/torpedoboats of the Kriegsmarine (I have the Mirage 'V106' as well)? They have a real archaic or 'steam-punk' look.

Graham,

Sorry to nitpick, but don't you mean the Kaiserliche Marine/Imperial German Navy?

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:18 am 

Knowledgeable people are on this forum: http://www.u-boot-net.de/phpBB/index.php?sid=00c9f8110b59a24fcddbb6073fe26175

wefalck

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

Last edited by wefalck on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:49 pm 

Thanks guys. Clearly there is stuff out there - it just needs more digging out.

Cheers,

GrahamB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:59 am 

Do you found something? In Z-Vor by Harald Fock a good plan of A 86 is included, which could be very helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:38 pm 

a photo of Kriegsmarine torpedo boats if any one is interested
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foto-Kriegsmari ... 486d6ba6a2

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 1:58 pm 

My model of B 110 of the B 97 class:

The model is built in 1/700 using the NNT kit of the B 98 and depicts her at the start of the Battle of Jutland.

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=162627

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4577:deutscher-zerstoerer-b-110-1700-nnt-von-lars-scharff&catid=112:lars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:01 pm 

GrahamB wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to make a start on my Mirage German WW1 torpedoboat 'A86' but am really struggling to find anything at all on this class of boats - especially drawings or even photographs. I'd like to be able to detail and 'finesse' this kit but have nothing to go on.

Thanks (in anticipation!)

Cheers,

GrahamB

German destroyer. Model about 100 years.
Some details are visible.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:36 am 

Hi! I'm just in the process of weathering my Mirage "86", and unless you REALLY want this model, it's not much fun to build! You've probably noticed details are heavy and chunky in places, and soft in others. I thought it was a "not bad" kit until I started building it. It's not terrible, but if you're used to Flyhawk, Dragon, and Trumpeter quality, it's a bit of a disappointment. On the plus side, the fit was generally fairly good. I bought the North Star PE set for it - I find the brass gauge used is very thin for 1/350 (better for 1/700), being flimsy, and pretty finniky, especially with the built-up superstructure. Takes time and patience to properly align the parts; the structure could have been better designed with fewer parts and more folds. The aft coal scuttles on the kit interfere with proper placement of the PE mine rails, so some cutting and moving will be necessary. Same thing with the outer ring around the torpedo tube - otherwise the rails will bump over that ring. Instructions contain many errors. Hope you have better luck and fun than I did! :wave_1:
PS; Look for the posting "Mirage German Torpedoboot Question" and you'll find answers and helpful links! viewtopic.php?f=69&t=162556

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:29 am 

Alexey, these are execellent pictures of SMS TBt. S13 :thumbs_up_1:

Is this model in the Central Naval Museum in St. Petersburg ?

Do you have more pictures of German models from there ?

Thanks,

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:02 pm 

wefalck wrote:
Alexey, these are execellent pictures of SMS TBt. S13 :thumbs_up_1:

Is this model in the Central Naval Museum in St. Petersburg ?

Yes, there are a few German, English and French models.

wefalck wrote:
Do you have more pictures of German models from there ?

Thanks,

I took pictures of a model of the battleship "Braunschweig" made in 1902. She was a gift from Wilhelm II to tsar Nicholas II. And a couple of shots of the cruiser "Bremen".

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:21 am 

Thanks !

I do already have pictures of SMS BRAUNSCHWEIG, SMS BREMEN, and SMS KOLBERG for my collection. Some of them I received from the museum directly.

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:44 pm 

Still have a model of the Goeben and Elbing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:24 pm 

Alexey, are you saying that there are models of SMS GOEBEN und SMS ELBING in the Central Naval Museum ? Or where are they ?

I would be very interested to have (colour) pictures of both models.

See also my post here: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=103494

Thanks !

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:39 pm 

Sorry no digital photos of the Goeben. Elbing were photographed on film in the early 80-ies. Perhaps the model put up in the exhibition, because the Museum has not yet fully staffed after the move. Now exposed to many new models which never existed before. I was able to photograph only 20% of the exhibits.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:01 pm 

So, the museum has already moved ? What a pity that I never made it to the old Admiralty-Building :cry:

Have to write to them again and see what other models of the pre-1918 navy might be around ...

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:48 am 

Yes, moved. Probably better to move posts to another topic.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm 

So, has anyone compiled a list of what's available? I'm interested in 1/700 (and have the Flyhawk G-37-G-40 model) but I'm sure others would be interested in other scales.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:59 am 

I made a list of all kits of ships which had fought at Jutland:
http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4426:gemeinschaftsprojekt-100-jahre-schlacht-vor-dem-skagerrak&catid=359:gemeinschaftsprojekte

It is now nearly three years old, but I do not think that there are now more kits for German destroyers available in 1/700:

V 150 class by Choroszy Modelbud
G 37 class by FlyHawk
B 97 class by NNT (B 98)