The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 pm 

Hi all,

I have noticed the Bismarck has some poles at her stern and bows, the Dreadnought has loads along each side of the hull.

They appear to be hinged at one end and rest in a bracket at their other end and have a rope attached to them at the free end.

What are they called and what are the used for?

Nigel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:52 pm 

On Dreadnought, they are torpedo net booms - all of them would be rotated out and a metal net hung from them to catch incoming torpedoes. You'll see this on a lot of WWI and earlier ships.

On Bismarck, I believe they are just boat booms - can be rotated out and ladders hung from them to allow sailors to embark/disembark small boats without occupying the accommodation ladders.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:56 pm 

its simply a boat boom.

torpedo nets and booms on HMS Dreadnought

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=154767
1/72 Friesland
1/75 Wasa
1/53 STS Leeuwin II
1/72 HMAS Perth 1942
1/72 Russian Corvette Steregushchy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:29 pm 

On Bismarck there are both boat booms on the far stern and foldable propeller guards to avoid the propellers hitting the quay (slightly more to the front).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 pm 

Thankyou very much guys. I have learnt something today!!

I figured they were some kind of boom, but actually wondered if they were used when docked...wrong again!!

Bismarck... It must have been quite hair rasing walking out on those booms to get a taxi??

Dreadnought... Were the nets permanently attached to the booms? If so, where on earth were they stowed? They must have weighed a Ton!!!

Nigel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 am 

>>>.... and foldable propeller guards to avoid the propellers hitting the quay.<<<

They are just indicators for other ships/boats to keep clear. These flimsy booms wouldn't prevent a capital ship from bumping into anything.

>>>... It must have been quite hair raising walking out on those booms to get a taxi?<<<

They are rigged only, when at anchor ! It is nothing to walk out on them compared to enter up into the rigging of ship in the middle of a stormy night when rounding Cape Hoorn ...

Here are some detail-shots of the real thing (at the wall) and a French model of a pre-Dreadnought fitted with torpedo nets:

(sorry, the functions for inserting quotations and images don't seem to work at the moment)

( edit Jim B-- the images do now! :thumbs_up_1: )

wefalck

Former chairman Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. (German Association for Shipbuilding History)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:56 am 

>>>Dreadnought... Were the nets permanently attached to the booms? If so, where on earth were they stowed? They must have weighed a Ton!!!<<<

Most-but not all-- ships had a dedicated torpedo net shelf.

The nets were indeed very heavy--and many ships had dedicated brailing davits for the hoisting of these.
the nets were intended to be mainly deployed at anchor-- the collective drag is enormous...
remember of course these ships had enormous crews- with time-

- so many seemingly gargantuan tasks were still performed manually

For a compact but educational overview of torpedo nets..
read here http://www.gwpda.org/naval/nets.htm

here is an image of a model torpedo net shelf being installed to a 1/350 mode of Mikasa by Bill Livingston

thread here
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=93381

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:22 pm 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
For a compact but educational overview of torpedo nets..
read here http://www.gwpda.org/naval/nets.htm

Jim I wanted to interject a side note here about the nets. The first use indicated in the link was in England 1873; however you need to go back a few more years to 1861 in the American Civil War for when they were first developed.
Here are a few quotes for your reading pleasure.

"(Summer of 1861)
Mrs. Baker quickly sent a report of the demonstration to Washington. In her report she described the submarine attack she had watched and also mentioned a visit on the following day to the Tredegar Works to see a second boat under construction. This accurate eyewitness account spurred the Navy in Hampton Roads to devise and rig the first anti-submarine nets around their ships. These were simply an arrangement of spars encircling each vessel, from which either heavy nets or chains were suspended to a depth of fourteen feet. It was hoped that an approaching vessel intent upon attaching a torpedo either via diver or spar would be entangled and caught."
http://www.navyandmarine.org/ondeck/1862submarines.htm

"One day in January, 1864 (a month later ) Hunley's towed contact torpedo drifted into the CSS David, however a crewman went in the water and pushed the torpedo away. CSS David would no longer be used as a tow boat. Also, about this time, federal ironclads began the extensive use of chain nets and other passive obstacles to prevent torpedo attack (Hunley was no secret). Hunley would have to focus operations on the wooden blockade fleet farther out to sea (7 miles out). Her base was moved to Breach Inlet, between Sullivan's and Long Islands (now Isle of Palms). Attacks would now be carried out with a torpedo mounted on a seventeen foot iron pole fixed to the bow (similar to the CSS David)."
http://www.charlestonillustrated.com/hunley/hunley.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:51 pm 

In addition to the drag, I think I read somewhere, that the nets were not employed whilst underway, whereas if hit and damaged they could entangle the ship's screws.