The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:46 am 

Indeed, simple splines are poorly transferred so I use arced segments. I do not know why the transfer of splines doesn't work as these have been around for some time and are very simple to evaluate. I used to like Corel but they have a tendency to make their programs worse with each new release, so it's the counterintuitive interface of Adob products for me now :heh: Perhaps I should continue in Matlab...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:52 pm 
Alliance Model Works
Alliance Model Works

Older versions of corel were 16bit, they couldn't handle complex weld and trim operations.
I still use 7 for basic designs. Sometimes you see errors (trim, autoalign, equidistant polygons), but easy to adjust manually. I liked the finite zoom in nano range.
For finishing work go to X5 or X6. some stuff just can't be done without 64bit.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:34 am 

Indeed, I don't like the newer versions either. I stick with my Corel X3. Why mess with something that works so well. I've used 4 all the way up to X5 and X3 is the best in my eyes. Ten was also pretty good.

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:13 pm 

Moved here for safekeeping.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:42 pm 

Timely thread! :thumbs_up_1:

I don't have anything to add at this point. I just wanted it to show up under "My Posts" so I can follow it easier.

In Progress:
1/350 USS Bennington (CV-20)
1/144 USS Greenling (SSN-614) - ACAD/3D Printing
1/144 USS Batfish (SS-310) - ACAD/3D Printing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:04 pm 

Protip: You can subscribe to threads without replying to them with the "subscribe topic" link near the top:

Attachment:
Subscribe.JPG
Subscribe.JPG [ 17.27 KiB | Viewed 1960 times ]

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:08 pm 

Thanks Tracy! I did not know that “Subscribe topic” did that. I appreciate the Protip.

The reason that I find this thread timely is because I would like to make some PE parts for my detailed 1/144 scale USS Greenling model. I have prepared a sheet of the items that I would like to make in AutoCAD, like the rest of the model, but unlike the model, it is strictly 2D. I have no experience with making PE, but I have used a laser cutter before. The laser cutter could engrave or cut the material (wood) based on the laser settings. One layer (0-white) was set to cut through the material. A second layer (1-red) was set to cut part way through the material for engraving. I assume the PE process is similar, so I made my PE template as I would for the laser cutter.

The image below shows my proposed PE sheet. It shows both the actual size (when filling an 8-1/2”x11” sheet) and an enlarged view. The design contains only cuts and no etching. Every apparent line is really two lines with the spaces between the lines filled in. I used PE templates that I have in my stash to design the tabs, so everything that is black is cut out.

Now the questions are…

Am I on the right track? Will PE machines be able to print the file? Is there anybody that will make such a small piece? I only need one.

In Progress:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:03 pm 

Not sure who can do one-off's I know they are out there.

As for your drawings. They will need to be photo negatives of this. So your black area's will need to be white and vice-versa.

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:18 pm 

Jon wrote:
...As for your drawings. They will need to be photo negatives of this. So your black area's will need to be white and vice-versa.

Thanks Jon!

I don't know anything about other CAD programs, but AutoCAD has "Model Space" and "Paper Space", the latter which is used for printing, and is what the image that I posted was created in. In "Model Space" my drawing is as you describe it. The background is black and the cutout areas are white.

In Progress: