The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:57 am 

It seems like a good idea to have a FAQ on this, given that questions come up fairly frequently about whether or not to add tie-down strips to one's model, particularly in 1/350 and 1/700. It's an interesting feature and can certainly make the decking of an IJN model stand out. It's also the trend these days to add the linoleum tie-down strips, though from a scale perspective, it's generally a very over-scale feature. Of course, it's your model to build as you please. It's just nice to have some facts down on the table for comparison's sake.

The tie-down strips were made of brass, and used to secure the edging of the linoleum sheets to the deck with screws. They could be of varying lengths; width is constant at 30mm, height is 5mm. I should point out that these measurements come from Skulski and his AOTS IJN ship books. I've not seen width measurements for the tie-downs anywhere else. Januz Skulski is generally acknowledged to be a leading Western IJN expert and model-builder extraordinaire.

In 1/350 scale (and converted to inches), 30mm works out to 0.0034". It's half that in 1/700. Below, I've posted some photos that I believe help give one a sense of perspective on their size. Best to try and compare the width of the strips to the size of the shoes worn by the various deck personnel. Admittedly, without a true close-up, it's hard to say that the strips are as narrow as claimed. However, if, for instance, the strips were actually closer to, say 50mm/1.9" in width, that would still only work out to 0.0055" in 1/350 scale. (Think .006" brass rod.) So, I think one can see why I feel that this feature is difficult to replicate in 1/350, and truly over scale for 1/700.

Still, these strips seem very prominent in photographs. Keep in mind that it was the practice to keep them polished in peacetime, and that when the light hits them at the right angle, they tend to pop out in appearance. FWIW.

Attachments:
IJN Linoleum, tie-downs and treading strips, GPS Cruiser vol.jpg
IJN Linoleum, tie-downs and treading strips, GPS Cruiser vol.jpg [ 196.25 KiB | Viewed 2638 times ]
Abukuma forecastle  1941, CFAIZ vol.jpg
Abukuma forecastle 1941, CFAIZ vol.jpg [ 117.65 KiB | Viewed 2638 times ]
Haruna a-c deck 1937 #1.jpg
Haruna a-c deck 1937 #1.jpg [ 189.8 KiB | Viewed 2638 times ]
Sazanami, commissioning ceremony, May 19, 1932  Gakken #70 sm.jpg
Sazanami, commissioning ceremony, May 19, 1932 Gakken #70 sm.jpg [ 177.64 KiB | Viewed 2638 times ]
Kako deck and linoleum strips CFAIZ 1941 vol sm.jpg
Kako deck and linoleum strips CFAIZ 1941 vol sm.jpg [ 187.73 KiB | Viewed 2638 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:14 pm 

Richard Price has been kind enough to measure the width of the Flyhawk PE tie-downs and they come in at around 0.007" in width. So, these are not totally out of range for scale.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:06 pm 

Here's another jewel -

Attachments:
Kumano main battery, May 1939, Nihon no Gunkan v 07 sm.jpg
Kumano main battery, May 1939, Nihon no Gunkan v 07 sm.jpg [ 180.12 KiB | Viewed 2552 times ]