The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:54 pm 

I'm looking good primer for airbrush. Before I have used surfacer 1200 in spray, but this time I want sth cheaper, and the most important thing- not smelling a lot

what are you thinking about vallejo primer. Must I thin it for airbrush?

Last edited by biegacz90 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:51 pm 

Unfortunately it does have a pretty heavy paint smell, but open a window and start a fan and it will dissipate pretty quickly, but honestly the best I've found is Krylon for plastics at Wal-Mart. I've used, and still have, so me model specific primers like Alclad, which I like the best of the model specific ones. It still has a pretty good odor, but it's already thinned. Just pour and shoot. Comes in white, grey and black. Ain't cheap, though. Like I said, the best I've found is Krylon, just as good as Alclad. And, you don't have to clean your airbrush when you're done!

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:02 am 

I've never heard about these primers. They are typical for plastic models or for cars?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:47 am 

Biegacz90, I have to confess that I'm not sure what is available in Poland and what is not. You might try to Google "Krylon" and see if it is available where you live. It is actually for plastics, more like plastic lawn furniture, but it works great on styrene to! And at a fraction of the price of hobby specific primers.

As for Alclad, here is the link to their website: http://alclad2.com/

I looked and they do have two vendors in Warsaw. Alclad comes pre-thinned, ready to pour in your airbrush and spray. I've used it quite a bit (they also have a line of specialty paints that might interest you) and I've always been satisfied with the results. Coverage is good and it dries quickly. Also, clean up is a snap with regular lacquer thinner. If you can't get the Krylon, I'd definitely go with the Alclad.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any more help.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:35 pm 

krylon is almost not available in poland. sometimes it appears on allegro (something like polish ebay :big_grin: ) but very rare and it is very, very expensive

I decited to buy tamiya surfacer. maybe in the future I will buy alcad

and thanks for everything :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:09 pm 

You are very welcome. And, good luck. I've never had any problems with any of the Tamiya products I've used.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:58 pm 

biegacz90 wrote:
I've never heard about these primers. They are typical for plastic models or for cars?

try to google " MACOTA spray primer duocolor" this is the closest product that i find very similar to Krylon primer , it is very easy to find in Italy ( i guess its an italian company but i am not sure about it ) you may be able to find this kind of brand in Poland too .
Macota produce mostly for auto , but the "duocolor" is a versatile product for priming of plastic and rubber .

forgot to add the price , i bought one can at 6.5 euro .

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:21 pm 

Greetings,
I don't know if you can find it in Poland but there is a primer made by a Badger Airbrush called Stynlrez. It's available in gray, black, and white and is water based. However Gray is the best from what I've experienced and read. It is thick but when dry does not take away any detail such as engraved panel lines, rivets, etc. You will need a airbrush with a larger needle to handle the heavier viscosity of the paint. It also sands beautifully. I would also agree that Alclad II makes an excellent primer.

I would avoid Vallejo Polyurethane primers. They spray well and have a nice smooth finish. But if you have to sand it you will not be happy with the results. It tends to tear, even after drying for 3 or more days.

Good luck
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:34 am 

To add to David's comment - I've been using Stynylrez for a month or two and I think it's excellent. Very fine, smooth finish. You can thin it with iso-propyl alcohol and then it sprays easily even through a fine airbrush (I use an H&S with a 0.2mm needle), though you may have to give it two coats (not a major problem - it touch-dries very quickly). I've binned all my other primers except Alclad...just in case!

Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:39 pm 

Another positive here, having used this, every other primer I had is now consigned to history.

Echoing comments above, I use a .4 tip and have had no problems at all, only one thing, clean your airbrush immediately!

Cheers, Jabb

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:47 pm 

eisenstein wrote:
To add to David's comment - I've been using Stynylrez for a month or two and I think it's excellent. Very fine, smooth finish. You can thin it with iso-propyl alcohol and then it sprays easily even through a fine airbrush (I use an H&S with a 0.2mm needle), though you may have to give it two coats (not a major problem - it touch-dries very quickly). I've binned all my other primers except Alclad...just in case!

Martin

A word of caution. Don't contaminate your Stynylrez with alcohol. It will cause it to become very thick. You may be fine mixing it in the color cup but don't put it in your bottle. I used bottled water and found that it thinned it just fine for airbrush use.
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:38 am