The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: deck rail methods
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:12 pm 

Yes definately their advices on railing is the start and end of the story.

Post subject: Re: Deck rail methods
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 am 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
Re-bump....

Its an evergreen topic and answers a lot of queries

Jim Baumann

Absolutely! I may not be a total beginner but I hadn't thought about the problem of expansion...explains a couple of things. :roll:
Best,
Fraser

1/700th Kalinin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:20 pm 

Pardon my ignorance, but when you say "PVA" are you talking about Elmer's while glue or equivalent?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:08 pm 

>>>> "PVA" are you talking about Elmer's while glue or equivalent? <<<

yes-- I personally use Evostick Rapide woodworking glue( its a refined PVA)

It sets very quickly and has phenomenal 'grab' on small parts using minuscule amounts

:big_grin:

JIM B :wave_1:

Attachment:
93518.jpg
93518.jpg [ 81.38 KiB | Viewed 2812 times ]

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:18 am 

shameless bump

and a quick question...Jim, have you tried Gator Glue? I think its PVA also, but not sure. Its what I have been using and I wonder what you think of it for pe. And thx for the steer to this thread, very helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:12 am 

Another bump... That said, I was fascinated by Jim's advice about cutting railings into lengths. In the past 've nearly gone nuts trying to wobble long pieces of railing into position and fixing it with CA - which I loathe. I've just started rigging and railing my HMS Hood after a lo-o-ong hiatus....A hectare of Portuguese scrub needs a lot of work! - and have been using Micro Krystal Klear,which in tiny undiluted amounts is good for rigging and initial railing attachments. Having no black sprue at all, I've been using some Ceramic Wire I have and black fly-tying silk, where possible. Lodsa fun.
F

1/700th Kalinin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:24 pm 

I use Gator Glue a lot and it's very good indeed. It's water soluable and cleans with warm water. It sets quite quickly. It is perfect for a lot of PE work, particularly if you need to fiddle the piece around a little because it doesn't set immediately and the residue is easily removed. And makes a pretty good filler if a seam is small enough. (I prefer Aves Apoxie Sculpt for anything major - extremely effective but much more forgiving than putty. Like an improved Miliput as I understand it.) I'm not sure if it has the "tack" for rails. If you could get the rails set, however, Gator would be very good at keeping them there. Clear off the residue which is easily seen when wet. When it dries it's quite clear and very strong.

Eric

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:22 pm 

I know that this has been around ,but due to the recent posts I will chime in .The first exposure to P.E. for me was TRUMPETER,S -U.S.S. NORTH CAROLINA . I bought two of the EDUARD sets , one after I messed up on the first on very crucial parts (the radars and director radars .) Now ,through it all I went through many methods including white glue . The thing is I even went the super glue route .Now I,ve simplified it by using something else . I now use a thickened version of the very same paint I use on the model . It seems to work okay so far . By doing this I have found that there is a certain amount of workability to adjust and straighten rails ,just in case they aren,t just right .I still use medium thick super glue as it sets better and with the zip kicker makes it work faster and more secure on mast parts . There is to many methods that work for many modelers so I guess it,s just what works for the specific builder . commodore4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:55 am 

:thumbs_up_1: I cannot thank you guys enough for the information you have posted here, after many years of OOb modelling i am finally trying to upgrade my ships, I got a 1/700 IJN Maya from Skywave and the Pit Road etch to go with it, I have also got GMM IJN cruiser/destroyer set and am going to give it a go. With the couple of bits i have practiced on (WEM's 1/600 destroyer set) i have had mixed results. I managed to fold 1 crane and it looked great, but on the second and third attempt the parts separated on the fold lines, any ideas on what i'm doing wrong. I am using a small Hold n Fold and a scalpel blade and tweezers.

Mick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:02 pm 

My turn to bump. Thanks guys! I have been arguing with railings for three days now (as well as a electrical cable on the outside of a bridge). I think this will help me a lot!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:38 am 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
>>>> "PVA" are you talking about Elmer's while glue or equivalent? <<<

yes-- I personally use Evostick Rapide woodworking glue( its a refined PVA)

It sets very quickly and has phenomenal 'grab' on small parts using minuscule amounts

:big_grin:

JIM B :wave_1:

Just started using Evostick this week instead of super glue, what a difference, can't see me ever going back to super glue...

John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:20 pm 

While I don't have any real problem with applying PE railings, I find that they tend to be very fragile and I can't always protect them from handling mishaps. So, for at least those edge of hull railings, I've gone to madness in drilling steel wire stanchions. However, to insure a good straight line, I fix only the first and last post in a section, attach fine monofiliment line to them, and then attach the rest of the stanchions to the line, the base ends floating in drilled holes. Only after the section is complete and everything lines up do I then glue down the whole run. Looks very good and the mono line is forgiving of bumps and can even be re-tensioned with a little heat. The steel wire is fine guitar strings.
The new Tamiya Yamato has individual stanchions and fine copper wire for aftermarket, and while I'd use mono line instead, the stanchions are not bad looking. However, instead of trying to thread a zillion photo-etch bits onto some line, I use the Tamiya posts for the first and last to define the correct height, then do the steel wire float trick.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:09 pm 

In have received d a set of Atlantic Models 1/350 individual stanchions--they are muuuuuuch finer than the Tamiya

in stainless steel

they have indents rather than holes--so no threading needed--the paint wil make the stanchion ball

can use sprue or mono-filament

will shortly do an illustrated review...

JB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:39 am 

annual bump up the list-

-still a very pertinent post !

JB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:23 am 

Thanks guys!

I'm new to tiny PE parts and since I'll soon start building my 1/350 Scharnhorst, you saved me from disaster.

:thumbs_up_1:

-1/350 Dragon Scharnhorst, Artwox wooden decks, CyberHobby PE, Master brass barrels.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:40 pm 
To keep the topic going:

Jim, David, thank you for your instructions. I am a complete newbie. Can you please clarify: when you use PVA, you are gluing primed or painted railings to primed or painted parts, not bare metal to bare plastic, right? I just tried gluing primed railing to bare plastic: it did not hold at all. Could be a lousy glue, though.

Thank you!

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:32 pm 

Yah i'm going to have to bookmark this thread.

Dallas, Tx

Working on: Revell 1/426 USS Arizona BB-39

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:02 am 

One caution on an otherwise brilliant product, Gator glue...it does not like cold temps. Product exposed to freezing temps, either in transit to your local shop or through the mail to your home, will render the product useless. Signs of spoilage are lumps and a slight foul odor. This may be true of all PVA glues, I'm not certain.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:37 pm 

Magic thread! :woo_hoo: Very informative!

I've never used PE before on anything ( I model aircraft, ships, armor and whatever takes my fancy after that, I've been modelling since 1967 or so, I'm now almost 51), and I must admit I've been baulking at starting any new projects or repairing and updating long damaged models that would benefit from the added detail PE can give as I just couldn't work out the best way of attaching/finishing the PE I had without unsightly blobs and heavy paint.

I must admit that PE is very expensive on a very limited modelling budget and that when a purchase is made your forced to make the most of your purchase, so NO mistakes can be made (nor any practice runs), this really puts the pressure on to produce great results first time and puts the brakes on any project when you don't have the skills or info to carry on with your build. Mostly I resort to scratch building details as best I can but I've always avoided railings as I couldn't guarantee consistent, believable results.

I've not posted any of my model ships before here on the forum as none of them have this sort of detailing and fall far short of the standards set by the members here.

Here in Oz we don't have the PVA glues you talk of, so I'm still trying to work out the correct way to attach details in general without unsightly 'blobs' of glue.

This is an example of my modelling so far without the use of PE, Skywave 1/700 USS Fletcher DD992 built 30Aug1993, hopefully I'm not going off topic with my pic.

Thankyou all for this informative post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:13 pm 

I am glad that the thread looks potentially helpful to you

Your model looks pretty sharp-even without PE...!!

You can get PVA glue in Austarlia -( I use the woodworking version --)

here is a mail order link fro PVA glues in Australia

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PT--172_Pv ... s70865_e__

and some more useful links

http://www.selleys.com.au/adhesives/hou ... -interior/

http://www.thewoodworks.com.au/technica ... /pva-glues

Hope to help

Jim Baumann :wave_1: