The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 12:04 am 

Yes, very similar to the (5 blade) propellers used originally on the Skipjack and the George Washington! But these were much too noisy for their operational use. From the GW is known she could be tracked all across the Atlantic from the US to Scotland, by the SOSUS network. She was fitted then with such a prop - I've been told.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:04 am 

Anyone know if HMS Conqueror had the towed array and what propeller she had fitted at the time of the Falklands War?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:47 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Anyone know if HMS Conqueror had the towed array and what propeller she had fitted at the time of the Falklands War?

By the time of the Falklands war HMS Conqueror was fitted with the towed array on the left aft diving plane, and was fitted with a seven blade skewed (scythe form) propeller. She was also fitted with the original 'dimple' type hydrophone fairing on the forward deck, not the later common pillar type.

These facts were recently (one year ago) checked by Chas Cooke (of the HMS Courageous Association) with Chris Wreford-Brown, the commander of HMS Conqueror at the time of the Falklands war. I assume you won't get more proof than that.
Attachment:
1200px 20220212_145222.jpg
1200px 20220212_145222.jpg [ 273.63 KiB | Viewed 67702 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:36 am 

I was happy enough with your initial answer as I know the quality of your research and knowledge, but the last bit should help anyone else in the future new to the forum. :thumbs_up_1:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:39 am 

Tracy White wrote:
I was happy enough with your initial answer as I know the quality of your research and knowledge, but the last bit should help anyone else in the future new to the forum. :thumbs_up_1:

Thank you, Tracy! But if possible I like to deliver my sources of info - just so that anyone can check for themselves. I don't want to show off only with mentioning a name without substance - I have the email to prove it. I only try to avoid to help spreading rumors in the modeling fraternity, but to give solid basis on which we all can make better (or more accurate) models.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:42 pm 

Not to go too far off topic, but that's why I like to post links to my research in answers. People can take or leave what I say based on my reputation and how they feel, but it's a bit more cut and dried when you have source documentations or official statements from the ship's captain. :thumbs_up_1:

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:40 pm 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Tracy White wrote:

By the time of the Falklands war HMS Conqueror was fitted with the towed array on the left aft diving plane, and was fitted with a seven blade skewed (scythe form) propeller. She was also fitted with the original 'dimple' type hydrophone fairing on the forward deck, not the later common pillar type.

These facts were recently (one year ago) checked by Chas Cooke (of the HMS Courageous Association) with Chris Wreford-Brown, the commander of HMS Conqueror at the time of the Falklands war. I assume you won't get more proof than that.
Attachment:
1200px 20220212_145222.jpg

Nice model there Maarten! Do we know when the 9-blade was introduced?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:49 pm 

Woodstock74 wrote:
Nice model there Maarten! Do we know when the 9-blade was introduced?

Thanks! And thank you for providing the superb prop!

No, I don't know the answer to that, I have to ask Chas if he knows...

From the answer Chris Wreford gave I got the impression that both types were in use by that time already, but that's just a guess. As HMS Conqueror at the time of the attack on ARA Belgrano (Walter Sonderman built that model in 1:350!) was my objective, my model had to have the seven blader. We will be taking both these ships, plus ARA 25 de Mayo and HMS Splendid, all to SMW at Telford (UK) in November -- all in 1:350 of course.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:00 am 

Maarten,
Thanks for the info. What did you do for your prop then...wrangle the kit bits? Was the towed array internally showed then, or was it just an attachment point for a clip-on?

BT

I love the amazing people we have on these boards with their breath of knowledge and contacts... and submarine sickness :)

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:12 am 

ssn705 wrote:
Maarten, Thanks for the info. What did you do for your prop then...wrangle the kit bits? Was the towed array internally showed then, or was it just an attachment point for a clip-on? Dave

Hi Dave! The model you saw in the post was a kitbash of the old MikroMir HMS Resolution boomer kit: taken out a considerable part of the hull, new casing and sail, new diving planes fore and aft. When I had worked out all that I helped MikroMir to issue a new kit of the Conqueror. I stll haven't seen that kit in the flesh myself... :heh:

I assume the kit prop is not very much, only a PE thingy. However, Woodstock74 was so kind to draft and print the propeller in 3D, both the 7 and the 9 blade versions. So please refer to him for that!
As for the towed array: the left tip of the aft dive plane was modified with a tube extension, very similar to the Airfix Trafalgar kit, I used that as an example. I must have an actual picture of this towed array on HMS Valiant, but cannot find it now. All Valiants/Churchills received the towed array at some time around 1980-1985. Here you see what it looked like before the paint went on (the prop was a Los Angeles class as a stand-in...)
Attachment:
Courageous Image19.jpg
Courageous Image19.jpg [ 130.18 KiB | Viewed 67651 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:25 am 

I guess I missed his 7 blade version and only saw his 9. Thanks for the info.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:26 pm 

ssn705 wrote:
I guess I missed his 7 blade version and only saw his 9. Thanks for the info.

Dave

I ended up doing 3 versions:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:44 pm 

The petal blade (non skewed/scythe) propeller was only used during trials, never operationally. Same as the petal five bladers on the USN Skipjacks and George Washington class boomers.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:27 pm 

Guess I'll be ordering another set from Mike...my MIKE screws just showed up today. Maybe I can convince him to do some Akula screws too.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:21 pm 

ssn705 wrote:
Maybe I can convince him to do some Akula screws too.

I'm down for sets for two boats if so! :thumbs_up_1:

Also, since we have some action on this thread and it's been about since I last asked, does anyone know what color the interior or the turtle back and missile doors would be on Vanguard class boomers? I could use USN Tridents as an example, I guess but am hoping someone knows of a photo or description of the colors.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:44 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
ssn705 wrote:
Maybe I can convince him to do some Akula screws too.

I'm down for sets for two boats if so! :thumbs_up_1:

Also, since we have some action on this thread and it's been about since I last asked, does anyone know what color the interior or the turtle back and missile doors would be on Vanguard class boomers? I could use USN Tridents as an example, I guess but am hoping someone knows of a photo or description of the colors.

I'll ask a friend at work who should know from personal experience.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:26 pm 

Much appreciated!

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:06 pm 

Tracy,
My coworker is on travel. As soon as he is back, I'll ask him the question. He was an XO on Vanguard so he should remember.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:03 am 

Again, appreciated!

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:58 pm 

OK, from the horse's mouth so to speak...

Everything outside the tube is black... flat black... outside of the tube, top of the lid, back of the hatch, hull around the tube, back side of the casing...all flat black.

Inside the tube... the diaphragm over the missile is flat white, back side of the lid is flat white, the seating surface of the lid and tube is silver (bare metal) and the inside edge of the seating surface of the tube has a thin black ring (maybe a hard rubber gasket)

Just ask if I need to clarify.

Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next