The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:30 pm 

Hi All!
Are there any Thresher/Permit Class SSN Fans out there?
I started this thread to see if there was any interest, so if you have any interest in the topic let me know. I have an idea and some questions that I will post later.

In Progress:
1/350 USS Bennington (CV-20)
1/144 USS Greenling (SSN-614) - ACAD/3D Printing
1/144 USS Batfish (SS-310) - ACAD/3D Printing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:39 pm 

Count me interested in the thread. Have both a YMW 1:350 Thresher and a JAG WL Permit.

- D-Boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:11 pm 

Hi D-Boy!
Are they in your stash, are you working on them now, or are they completed? I would like to see them.

Anyway, I have mentioned, on other Forums on this site, that I have a friend who was on the USS Greenling (SSN-614) in the early 70’s, and that I am looking in to making a model for him. I have a build going now, so it will be some time before I get to it, but I’m looking into my options. I first considered a diorama with USS Fulton (AS-11), but I guess he wasn’t too crazy about the Fulton so he didn’t really want a dio with her.

I noticed that a 1/72 scale Skipjack is available, and I like the larger scale, so I’m looking to see if I can find plans from which to scratch build Greenling. Unfortunately, the only source I am aware of is Floating Drydock, and they don’t have plans for Greenling, or anything close., so no luck so far.

I then stumbled onto this print and I thought it may be cool to replicate it in 3-D, using models.
Attachment:
Permit-Thresher.jpg
Permit-Thresher.jpg [ 78.68 KiB | Viewed 15210 times ]

Before seeing this print, I had been informed that Greenling was 13’ 9” longer than Thresher or Permit and that the sail had been modified. Looking at the print, it looks to me like Jack, Flasher, Greenling and Gato were extended and Flasher, Greenling, Gato, and Haddock had larger sails. (I need to verify this).

The real print, available for $25, is 11”x17”, and if I use 1/700 scale, each ship would be 4-3/4” or 5” long and ½” wide, so the finished product would be about the same size, and when framed and covered with glass, would make a nice wall hanging.

To my knowledge, the only full hull 1/700 scale kit I am aware of is OKB Grigorov’s USS Thresher (http://www.freetimehobbies.com/OKB8700005.aspx), which is reasonably priced at $16.96, so I just ordered it. The kit, as is, will work for 9 of the 14 subs in the class. The remaining 5 will require 3 different modifications. The way I see it, I have a couple of different options.

The first is to buy 14 kits, build nine OOB and modify the others as needed. This would be fairly expensive, and at this scale, I think the required modifications for the remaining 5 would be difficult. It looks like the length was added to the front and tapering an extra ¼” onto a resin body would likely not be easy. The larger sails, I think, would have to be scratch built.

The other option is to use the model I just ordered, and the print, to scratch-build them. If I can find better plans, even better.

This is the way I’m leaning at the moment, if I do it, but there are several ways that I could do it. I’m thinking that I could use ½” diameter plastic tubing or wood, and using either a lathe, belt sander, or sanding wheel I could make the body of all of the ships. Or, I could just make a long one and short one, and use them for resin molds to make the actual models from. This would require making the tail and island separate, but again, I could make them all out of plastic or wood, or just make what I need for casting. The screw might be an issue, but if I can’t order them I may be able to use the one I will soon have as a template.

What would really be cool is if it was all out of wood with only brass screws and periscopes, etc., which I think I might be able to pull off, but I don’t know, I haven’t even seen the model yet, nor do I know if my buddy is even interested in it.

Any thoughts?

In Progress:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:27 pm 

Hey Rudtnell!

What you have in mind seemed very familiar: after just a little bit of searching, I confirm it looks very similar to what was done here http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/dio/usn/30years-700-rb/index.htm!

OKB Grigorov is a good choice, his models get high praises all around (I have one of his 1/350's)

Good luck and make sure you post pics!
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:33 pm 

:smallsmile:
I had just done a search of the gallery and found the same thing and had forgotten that I had seen it before. He did a great job on it for sure.

THANKS!

In Progress:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:29 pm 

Quote:
I noticed that a 1/72 scale Skipjack is available, and I like the larger scale, so I’m looking to see if I can find plans from which to scratch build Greenling.

The Skipjack hull is a Type 52 Body of Revolution, so it can't be modified to Thresher/Permit. The fore and aft shapes are different from Thresher.
Quote:
Before seeing this print, I had been informed that Greenling was 13’ 9” longer than Thresher or Permit and that the sail had been modified. Looking at the print, it looks to me like Jack, Flasher, Greenling and Gato were extended and Flasher, Greenling, Gato, and Haddock had larger sails. (I need to verify this).

The Thresher was Portsmouth Navy Yard's first nuclear submarine design, and there were some ackward compromises made. Yes, the three later boats (SSN613, 614, 615) were 13 ft, 9 inches longer, as the original Thresher design was very tight. With the addition of more electronics and improved habitability, as well as some hull stability issues, more hull space was needed. Also, the original design had a very small sail, which limited the number of masts that were available for electronic interception and other Cold War functions. The snorkel mast is oddly placed, in front of the bridge cockpit. The original sail is short, and the sail planes were thus shallow, making depth control difficult at periscope depth. SSN 613-615 had somewhat larger sails to partially address this problem. Eventually, the Navy asked Electric Boat to revise the original SCB 188 plans to redress problems in several areas; this became the SCB188A, which was designated a separate class and took the name of the lead boat, Sturgeon (SSN 637).

Thresher (SSN 593) 278' 6" 3,750 tons (surface) 4,310 tons (submerged)
SSN 613-615 292' 3" 4,260 4,770
USS Jack 297' 4" 3,990 4,467

Jack was a one off and even longer, as she was equipped with in line contra-rotating propellers. The longer prop shaft to accomodate two propellers added to her length, as well as the gearing for the complicated "shaft within a shaft" for the contra props. That configuration didn't really give the speed increase hoped for, so it wasn't repeated.

I have the old Blue Water Navy resin Thresher kit. The hull is fine but the sail is too large for an early Thresher/Permit class boat.

I have a very detailed set of Permit (SSN 594) drawings, which you are welcome to have.

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:03 pm 

Oh Man! Thanks Tom! This is great information! :thumbs_up_1:

I wasn't thinking I could use the Skipjack, only that I liked the size of the 1/72 scale for a stand alone model. I was thinking that if I found plans for Greenling, I could perhaps use them to scratch-build her at the larger scale. I'm definitely interested in the Permit plans, if for no other reason than I am an engineer and would enjoy seeing them. Are they digital?

The info you provided on the lengths and on Jack's "contra-rotating propellers" is both informative and will be helpful if I opt to do the 1/700 Thresher/Permit display. Thanks!

When you say that you have the old Blue Water Navy resin Thresher kit but that the sail is too large for an early Thresher/Permit class boat, do you mean that it would be correct for the larger sails, or is it somewhere in between?

In Progress:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:41 pm 

Quote:
It looks like the length was added to the front and tapering an extra ¼” onto a resin body would likely not be easy.

Nope, the hull was lengthened just abaft the sail. You would have to add your extra hull behind the sail.
Quote:
I wasn't thinking I could use the Skipjack, only that I liked the size of the 1/72 scale for a stand alone model. I was thinking that if I found plans for Greenling, I could perhaps use them to scratch-build her at the larger scale. I'm definitely interested in the Permit plans, if for no other reason than I am an engineer and would enjoy seeing them. Are they digital?

One possibility for a larger model is the 1/96 scale kits used for R/C. There is a kit for the Thresher/Permit, but alas not one for the longer hull versions. Yes, the files are digital, check your email messages in this forum.

Quote:
The info you provided on the lengths and on Jack's "contra-rotating propellers" is both informative and will be helpful if I opt to do the 1/700 Thresher/Permit display. Thanks!

I have some additional Jack information, and photos of an R/C model of Jack. I have done some sub models in 1/700 (Ralph Ratcliffe resin kits) but in general, I find that scale too small. A Thresher would be very small. BTW. a long time ago, Ken Hart converted the old DML Los Angeles 1/700 kits to Permit & Sturgeon. See:http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ss/collection/subs-kh/kh-index.html I have his instructions for doing this somewhere in my very large submarine information stash.

Quote:
When you say that you have the old Blue Water Navy resin Thresher kit but that the sail is too large for an early Thresher/Permit class boat, do you mean that it would be correct for the larger sails, or is it somewhere in between?

Overall too large; too long and too tall of a sail. A side view of Permits demonstrates how small the original sails were compared to the hull. Look at these links of the completed kit: http://www.steelnavy.com/images/bwn_thresher/thresher2.jpg http://www.steelnavy.com/images/bwn_thresher/thresher6.jpg & http://www.steelnavy.com/images/bwn_thresher/thresher7.jpg

Actually, looking at the 1/700 ship display in the link above, I would say the OKB Grigorov Thresher has an oversized sail as well. When you see the drawings I have, you will appreciate just how compact Permit sails are.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:44 am 

Hey Tom,

You are right, A 1/700 Thresher is very small. When I brought up the idea of the dio earlier in the Main Forum, D-Boy had a JAG WL kit he sold me for $5. When it arrived I remember thinking how amazed I was at some of the detailing I see on 1/700 scale models and I was even more impressed since I am struggling with 1/350.

Quote:
Ken Hart converted the old DML Los Angeles 1/700 kits to Permit & Sturgeon. See:http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ss/collection/subs-kh/kh-index.html I have his instructions for doing this somewhere in my very large submarine information stash.

Nice subs. Thanks for sending the link, but oh man, sometimes ignorance is bliss. That is pretty sad news about Dragon Models. It's the kind of thing that makes you think twice about buying from them.

As for the instructions, if you stumble across them, I wouldn't mind seeing them, but I'm not sure I'm going this route yet, so don't go out of your way.

And thanks too for the heads up on the R/C. I googled it and found this kit:
http://precisionpattern.biz/subs/sub_permit.htm
I think my buddy may be interested in this for sure.

CHEERS!!!

In Progress:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:43 pm 

Precision Pattern is Matt Thor's Company. Matt is current President of the SubCommittee (The submarine model group) and his model work is absolutely first rate!

A while back Ralph Ratcliffe did some outstanding 1/700 scale resin US Subs. I bought four and did this display:
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ss/collection/modern-subs-td/subs-index.html
What you can't see in the photos are extremely fine and accurate engraved lines representing hatches, access panels, safety track lines, etc.

With my eyes getting older, I have pretty much given up on 1/700 scale.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:20 am 

Nice models Tom! :thumbs_up_1:

Sub Subcommittee? With who? IPMS?

Were Ralph's resin subs a one time shot? Do you know how he did it. All I know about resin casting is what David Griffith describes in his "Ship Models from Kits" book.

I haven't really gotten into 1/700 much yet. Dad and I did a 1/600 and 1/700 Wisconsin OOB, and are finishing Dragon's 1/700 Essex, but the latter is too much detail for him. At my current level of skill, I think I prefer 1/350, and if I were to switch, it would probably be due to space limitations, or availability. It is certainly easier to display a 1/700 model than a 1/350 model, and if I wanted to build a certain ship that was only available in 1/700, I would probaly get it.

Thanks again for all of your help!!!

In Progress:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:30 pm 

The SubCommittee: http://www.subcommittee.com/ There is a considerable amount of free information on the site.

If you join ($15 per year) you get "Member Access" which includes electronic download access to Postscript files of ALL of the previous issues as well as the current issue of our 60+ page quarterly journal, The SubCommittee Report. There are currently 90 (!!) issues stretching back to 1990 (probably around 5500 + pages in total), and you can see & download them all for the $15. A lot of submarine information, history, photos, drawings, and display models and R/C submarine models.

Ralph's subs were produced back in the mid to late 1990's. He still produces all of the attack subs (SSNs) in resin that I used in my display:
http://ralphratcliffemodels.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/24/osCsid/f74600f4d8583be3534ef5988f4beb9a & scroll down to the photos. Click each to enlarge. Resin models use rubber molds cast off of a master model. The resin he uses picks up exceptionally fine detailing. There are some better shots with more of the scribing details of the four SSN models on my SubCommittee Member Homepage:
http://www.subcommittee.com/SubComm/member_homepages_search.cfm?MemberID=222. The models are assembled with cyanoacrylate glue, as regular model glue (which melts the polystyrene to make a bond) doesn't work on resin. I usually work now only in 1/350 or larger scales as my eyes aren't what they used to be, and eye-hand coordination is slipping as well. Ahh, aging...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 pm 

Thanks guys!

I really appreciate the information you all have provided me, online and off. I have learned more about Greenling and the Thresher/Permit Class submarines than I ever thought I would, in fact my buddy said that I knew more about it than he does.

I received the OKB Grigorov 1/700 USS Thresher class kit and it is simple, but nice.
Attachment:
01-DSC07962.JPG
01-DSC07962.JPG [ 141.22 KiB | Viewed 15079 times ]

Attachment:
02-DSC07998.JPG
02-DSC07998.JPG [ 142.78 KiB | Viewed 15079 times ]

It compares favorably in size with the 1/700 JAG WL kit I bought from D-Boy (Thanks again D-Boy!) The sail is essentially the same size and the lengths are very similar.
Attachment:
03-DSC08005.JPG
03-DSC08005.JPG [ 142.28 KiB | Viewed 15079 times ]

Below is a picture with the model sitting below USS Thresher on the 11”x17”print, as printed on my printer. The model is slightly bigger, but not by much, so would do nicely for recreating the print in 3D.
Attachment:
04-DSC07976.JPG
04-DSC07976.JPG [ 147.92 KiB | Viewed 15079 times ]

Below is a picture with the model sitting between USS Dace and USS Greenling on the 11”x17”print, again, as printed on my printer. The USS Dace was of the earlier design, shorter hull and sail, the USS Greenling of the later design. The differences are obvious.
Attachment:
05-DSC07989.JPG
05-DSC07989.JPG [ 145.17 KiB | Viewed 15079 times ]

After receiving you all’s feedback and now that I have seen the model, I have a little different perspective as to my options. First, I think duplicating the print with models will be more difficult than I first imagined, and since I think I have enough information to be able to scratch build USS Greenling, at whatever size I want, this may be the avenue I pursue.

Still, I like the idea of duplicating the print in 3D, and if I could pull it off, it would look really cool, so I am still giving that some more thought. Here’s what I’m thinking. Tell me what you think.

Step 1: Use the model to make a rubber mold. It would actually be 3 molds, one of each side and one for the sail planes and screw shaft.
Step 2: Use the molds to cast the 9 short hull ships (I would probably make a few extra). This could either be done in halves, creating two pieces to be glued together, or by clamping the 2 molds together and making one cast. This is the way I want to try to do it.
Step 3: Cut the original model in half just behind the sail and add 0.25"shim and sand smooth.
Step 4: Cut the sail off of the original model.
Step 5: Scratch build the larger sail and sail planes. (This seems like it will be the hardest part).
Step 6: Attach the sail to the elongated hull.
Step 7: Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make the 4 longer hull ships and at least 4 of the larger sails (again, I would probably make extras).

This of course all hinges on the original model being able to withstand the abuse of the molding process. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Again, I have a lot of time to think about it, in fact, I may have to order the 1/350 scale Micro-Mir Thresher to check it out before I decide.

In Progress:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:15 pm 

Tom Dougherty wrote:
The SubCommittee: http://www.subcommittee.com/ There is a considerable amount of free information on the site...

Hey Tom,
I just tried to join The SubCommittee but was unable to. When I go to the "Join Us" tab, and then click on the "Join Now" button it sends me to a link that says that I am not logged in and need to "return to the forum, logon and retry." Since I was not a member I created an account, but now I have to wait for my account to be activated before I can join. This might cause some people to change their minds. It might be good for renewals but you should make it easier for newbies to give you money.

In Progress:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:48 pm 

:thumbs_up_1:
I'm in Tom!

In Progress:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:10 am 

Hi Guys :wave_1:

A lot has transpired over the last week with regards to my plans for building the USS Greenling for my friend. First, I obtained a decent set of plans for USS Permit. Second, between the plans, the print and photographs of Permit class subs, I was able to derive what I think are reasonable dimensions for Greenling's sail. Third, another friend of mine told me that he has access to a stereolithography (SLA) system and said that he could use it to make the small parts for me.

The SLA method uses an ultraviolet laser that solidifies a thin liquid photopolymer resin. After one layer is solidified the SLA elevator platform is lowered 0.05 mm - 0.015 mm (0.002” – 0.006”) and the process is repeated. This continues until the whole part is completed. The advantage of this is that the parts can be generated straight from 3D AutoCad drawings, which I have recently learned to do. I therefore "built" a solid model of Greenling using AutoCad Civil3D, and it was a LOT of fun. I then dissected the model to make parts no larger than 4". And it was a LOT of fun too.

I’ve started a build log on the Subcommittee forum and at the risk of doing something improper the results are shown below as well. More detail of the process I went through is provided on the Subcommittee forum at http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB3/ ... 658#p67658. Due to the 10 pic limit per post here, Part 10, the propeller shaft, is not included. I hope you enjoy the images.

CHEERS!!!

Attachments:
GreenlingPlans-All.jpg
GreenlingPlans-All.jpg [ 106.36 KiB | Viewed 14978 times ]
GreenlingPlans-Part01.jpg
GreenlingPlans-Part01.jpg [ 77.37 KiB | Viewed 14978 times ]
GreenlingPlans-Part02.jpg
GreenlingPlans-Part02.jpg [ 79.26 KiB | Viewed 14978 times ]
GreenlingPlans-Part03.jpg
GreenlingPlans-Part03.jpg [ 106.3 KiB | Viewed 14978 times ]
GreenlingPlans-Part04.jpg
GreenlingPlans-Part04.jpg [ 75.56 KiB | Viewed 14978 times ]
GreenlingPlans-Part05.jpg
GreenlingPlans-Part05.jpg [ 104.73 KiB | Viewed 14978 times ]
GreenlingPlans-Part06.jpg
GreenlingPlans-Part06.jpg [ 76.73 KiB | Viewed 14978 times ]
GreenlingPlans-Part07.jpg
GreenlingPlans-Part07.jpg [ 88.46 KiB | Viewed 14978 times ]
GreenlingPlans-Part08.jpg
GreenlingPlans-Part08.jpg [ 123.52 KiB | Viewed 14978 times ]
GreenlingPlans-Part09.jpg
GreenlingPlans-Part09.jpg [ 140.61 KiB | Viewed 14978 times ]

In Progress:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:24 am 

And of course, after I reassembled her, I had to “paint” her! :eyebrows:

Attachments:
Greenling-painted01.jpg
Greenling-painted01.jpg [ 32.04 KiB | Viewed 14979 times ]
Greenling-painted02.jpg
Greenling-painted02.jpg [ 53.5 KiB | Viewed 14979 times ]
Greenling-painted03.jpg
Greenling-painted03.jpg [ 52.05 KiB | Viewed 14979 times ]

In Progress:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:13 am 

I have started the WIP. If you want to see more info on how I did it, go to this link:
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=125875&p=535761#p535761

CHEERS!!!

In Progress:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:33 pm 

What do you guys think about the Micro Mir vs the Yankee Modelworks Thresher? I want one in 1/350, but cant find any good reviews. Almost all of my subs are in 1/350, and im up to about 20 different WW2 and post WW2 boats in that scale.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:39 pm 

Here's a review of Micro-Mir's Sturgeon for reference: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=112663