The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calling all X-Craft fans
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:56 am 

I’m building the Pavla X-Craft in 1/72 and would like to depict X-23 as she appeared on the morning of 6 June 1944 when acting as a navigation light for the invasion fleet. I found reference to a three camouflage colour scheme applied to these craft in the days leading up to D-day. Does anyone have any more information on the colours and pattern applied?
Attachment:
BCFAC511-B5C9-400E-8F55-8C575740EE90.jpeg
BCFAC511-B5C9-400E-8F55-8C575740EE90.jpeg [ 58.6 KiB | Viewed 1956 times ]
This picture found on the internet seems to show some sort of camouflage on the bow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:30 pm 

According to page 93 of "Midget Submarines of the Second World War" by Paul Kemp:

Quote:
It was decided to adopt the standard submarine scheme of grey sides and black upper surfaces although the XE class were painted black overall. The only exception to this rule were the two X-Craft which operated off the French coast prior to Operation 'Overlord', which were painted yellow ochre, stone, and Hooker's green for protection from air observation when operating close to shore in day time.

No drawing of the pattern is provided.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:24 am 

Tracy, many thanks for that.

Anyone know what yellow ochre, stone, and Hooker's green might be in this context?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:46 pm 

I did a google search for the three paired with "Royal Navy" and for what it's worth found:

From "The Secret Lives of Color By Kassia St Clair:
Hooker's Green: Bright green; Prussian blue mixed with gamboge; named after British Illustrator William Hooker (1779-1832)
Winsor & Newton actually has a Hooker's Green in their acrylic paint line and describes it thusly:
"Hooker's Green is a rich green colour with a yellow tint. A mixed pigment colour, it was originally created by 19th c English botanist illustrator William J Hooker. "

Yellow Ochre was a color used in the Royal Navy from the sailing age, but the color could vary and I'm not sure of the appearance of the Yellow Ochre used at Normandy.

No hints as to stone yet, but I presume a medium gray of some sort.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman