The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:07 pm 

That was me just now, somehow managed to not log in??

I think I might have answered the question on the air inlets at the top of the tower? It would appear the kit is too short and misshapen on the ducts fitted inside the tower. It certainly appears this is a direct copy of the Revell kit?

Another question for the knowledgeable ones.. were the Torpedoes fitted with the detonators when being loaded? Were the detonators fitted when the Torpedoes were in their storage racks and under the floor?

I have three books now none of which are really great for the modeller, can anyone recommend a book which takes the sub through the build from the keel up? As Tracy has mentioned, I would like to build the kit with added detail for the pressure hull and saddle tanks.

Nigel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:24 pm 
I am in the process of converting my Revell type viic into U-99.

My drawings and what I am hearing from people is that type viib's had intakes mounted externally on the tower.

Yet all the pictures I can find that are allegedly of U-99, these don't appear to be there.

Can anyone clarify the intake configuration for this boat?

Thank you for any help.

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:23 pm 

Hello. In order to add extra detail my model, I need details of the U-boat's anchor & chain deployment & retrieval system.

Can anyone help me with this ? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:11 am 

any type VII D with a wintergarten like this?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:21 am 

thebunkerparodie wrote:
any type VII D with a wintergarten like this?

I don't think so: reloading the mine shafts below the Wintergarten would become impossible, so the sub would loose a good deal of its purpose.

But then again, the Type X minelaying subs were used hardly as mine layers, but mostly as humble large transport submarines. It may be that one or another Type VIID has been used in a similar role, thereby overriding its original purpose. So let's have a look: Yes, there were some boats in this config! See below, three images of U218:
Attachment:
u2181.jpg
u2181.jpg [ 172.31 KiB | Viewed 7484 times ]
Attachment:
u2182.jpg
u2182.jpg [ 140.25 KiB | Viewed 7484 times ]
Attachment:
u2183.jpg
u2183.jpg [ 133.51 KiB | Viewed 7484 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:05 pm 

nice pic,trial only I guess? also were there more type VII D/F considered or they just ordered what they needed without planing that much?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:08 am 

thebunkerparodie wrote:
nice pic,trial only I guess? also were there more type VII D/F considered or they just ordered what they needed without planing that much?
Questions, questions! I don't know the answers on those.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:29 am 

I recently got the Revell 1/72 kit #05163:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05163-u-boot-typ-vii-c-41--1181854
I would like to apply interior sets from CMK:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cmk-n72001-u-boot-vii-c-command-section--104745
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cmk-n72002-u-boot-vii-c-torpedo-section--104748
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cmk-n72003-u-boot-vii-c-engine-section--104799
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/cmk-n72005-u-boot-vii-c-officers-ward-rooms-and-galley--104746

What concerns me is the fact that these CMK sets were designed in 2003., when the first Revell's edition was released:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-05015-german-submarine-deutsches-u-boot-vii-c-wolf-pack-die-grauen-woelfe--103161
and in 2006. Revell made a new version with different hull, but how much different?
Especially, how (if any) different in places where the mentioned CMK interior kits are supose to be installed?

There are some side-by-side pictures of hull parts from both kits here:
http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/FirstLook/Revell/Rev_U-Boot_Typ_VIIc-41/U-Boot_Typ_VIIc-41.html
but I would like to have confirmation from someone who tried installing those CMK kits in 2006. kit version.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:04 am 

A partial answer to your question is that the Type VIIC and Type VIIC/41 had identical pressure hulls and only differed structurally in the shape of the stem and extreme bow. The stem was widened and extended slightly (the so-called "Atlantic bow"), but this did not affect the pressure hull at all. So if Revell just modified the shape of the bow, which seems to be the case looking at the kit comparison photos, those parts should fit equally well on the VIIC and VIIC/41.

Jacob

1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:33 pm 

Vepr157 wrote:
A partial answer to your question is that the Type VIIC and Type VIIC/41 had identical pressure hulls and only differed structurally in the shape of the stem and extreme bow. The stem was widened and extended slightly (the so-called "Atlantic bow"), but this did not affect the pressure hull at all. So if Revell just modified the shape of the bow, which seems to be the case looking at the kit comparison photos, those parts should fit equally well on the VIIC and VIIC/41.

Jacob

Thanks for the info!
I had this suspicion, but it's not so easy to tell from the pictures how much different those hulls really are.
The notable differences that can be seen are the upper bow (seems a bit wider at '41 version, according to it's shadow) and some hull "cut-outs", but none of this parts are making me think it has any impact on the pressure hull itself, and it is really hard to see any differences there.
I presume Revell did their homework just fine, so I could conclude that the 4 CMK sets are compatible, as scalemates also suggest.
Btw., I e-mailed CMK on this matter but I still have no reply from them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 pm 

Page 130 here gives some good info on the Atlantic Bow:
https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/the_wolf_pack_2.pdf

Here are a few more articles from the same group:
https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/

I recommend the following articles from the above list in particular:
list_uboat_mods.pdf
the_wolf_pack_compr.pdf

Jacob

1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:10 am 

Vepr157 wrote:
Page 130 here gives some good info on the Atlantic Bow:
https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/the_wolf_pack_2.pdf

Here are a few more articles from the same group:
https://amp.rokket.biz/docs/

I recommend the following articles from the above list in particular:
list_uboat_mods.pdf
the_wolf_pack_compr.pdf

Jacob

Wow, this is gold!
Thanks! :thumbs_up_1:
Alota documents to dig in! :big_grin:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:16 pm 

Hi all,

I am looking to build Revell's 1/350 Type ViiC/41 sub and was curious about the deck and aa gun configurations.

It seems the ViiC/41 is modelled off the real one in Germany, with no 88mm deck gun, and 1 x 37mm plus 2 x twin 20mm guns on the tower.

However some info I've researched showed the 41's should still carry the 88mm deck gun. Is this correct or did they remove them from some boats or at some point in the war?

Additionally, I believe other AA configurations were used - or was that specific to the type c anti-aircraft subs they produced a few of? Does anyone have any sources or info on boats with different AA setups? Not sure if the 41's had later turms with enlarged wintergartens, quad 37's, etc?

Any help appreciated. Also if there's an aftermarket source of 1/350 88mm's that would be good to know too.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Current builds:
- 1/350 SMS Vulkan sub tender
- 1/350 Chen Yuen Ironclad
- 1/72 Gato Class Submarine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:19 pm 

Hi Darren,

The U-995 is accurate in this regard, although you should be a bit wary when basing a model off of her. She was quite extensively worked on by the Norwegians after the war, and her original bridge was replaced by a streamlined sail. I believe the current bridge is a reconstruction.

BdU ordered the removal of deck guns from the Type VIIs on 14 November 1942, and the first Type VIIC/41s entered service in the summer of 1943. I think it's safe to say that no Type VIIC/41 ever had a deck gun, but perhaps a few of the early ones might have had the gun foundation (although I assume this foundation, if present, would have been removed for the snorkel installation later in the war).

Here are some drawings from Rössler's The U-boat that may help answer your question about the various turm configurations:

https://i.imgur.com/UkSivkL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/1Su4qHh.jpg

Jacob

1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:58 am 

Thanks Jacob, just what I was looking for. I think I was getting myself confused in part with the Type IX too! Saves me making an 88mm for the deck :-)

I likely won't model U-995, hence looking for some other references. I did find a pic of one in one of my books with a quad flak 38, so may do that for something different.

Cheers,
Darren

Current builds:
- 1/350 SMS Vulkan sub tender
- 1/350 Chen Yuen Ironclad
- 1/72 Gato Class Submarine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:14 am 

On some of the VIIC the 37mm AA-Armament was replaced with a 20mm-Quadruple, there are several Submarines known. But are there also VIIC/41 Boats known with this replacement?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:07 am 

The Norwegian Armed Forces have a youtube channel where they post historical content. They recently posted a video featuring S309 Kaura AKA U995. Featuring almost 10 minutes of interior, exterior and underwater shots, all in color, i'd say this is a must see for any type VII fan :smallsmile:
https://youtu.be/05XQ_oOS4lo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:25 pm 

Hey Guys,

Just purchased the gigantic TRP06801 1:48 Trumpeter DKM U-Boat Type VIIC U-552. Reading online, it seems that the kit includes everything needed to make a great kit, but not a lighting set to give it a more realistic look. I've seen a set made for this scale by Small Scale Lights in Europe, but no other suppliers. Does anyone know of a internet store in the USA that carries this one or a better version? Also looking for any PE that can improve the kit without getting out of control. My kit is put in stash for a future project, but I like to be full ready to tackle this huge project. I have money to spend, but I'm not willing to go broke.

Thanks in Advance!

Jim

ID: Baseballbrat (I have also been on the IJN Yamato topic page for years)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm 

At the moment, I am drilling the holes on the hull of the Revell Type VII in 72nd scale. Above the saddle tank, is the large slot in the hull. My question is, would it be appropriate to see all the way thru that gap to the opening on the other side or is the pressure hull blocking that line of sight. I understand that you won't see thru below the conning tower or hatch locations, but where else?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Mark Proulx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:20 pm 

Mark,

The flood slit follows the top of the pressure hull, but you should be able to see from one side to the other if piping, the conning tower, or deck gun mount is not in the way. The red line shows the bottom edge of the slit projected onto an inboard profile:

This body plan shows better where the slit is in relation to the pressure hull:

So to accurately depict it, you should model some of that under-deck detail. Of course it doesn't have to be super accurate as no one is going to see it in the finished model, but it would be weird if you could see daylight where the conning tower is supposed to be.

Jacob

1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next