The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:58 am 

In general, for any U-Boat type, when the necessity arose of having to rescue someone from the water, or in boarding from raft or lifeboat, did the crew use any kind of temporary rope ladder, or were there ladder rungs welded to the hull side to make boarding easier? :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:07 pm 

kawubke wrote:
davidwaples wrote:
That's amazing Thomas! Are you going to release the first rendering in the new higher resolution offering? I would like to order a set and would like to try that newer printing option.
Thanks for sharing your work
Dave

I am sorry but i can't. The Bounding Box Settings for the the new FXD material are to small.

The Maximum bounding box is 50mm x 50mm x 200mm but the Modell dimensions are 5.344mm x 5.384mm x 2.716mm therefore it's not possible to print it in FXD. I could scale the Modell down but then it will not fit.

So the only possible print Option is FUD.

Greetings from Germany
Thomas

Hello from Illinois. I have both the 1/72 VII and VII/C41 to build. I have the photo etch sets for both but realize that does not include a wintergarten like you've printed! But, I'm confused. Can I buy either plastic or brass or just plastic?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:46 am 

Quote:
Hello from Illinois. I have both the 1/72 VII and VII/C41 to build. I have the photo etch sets for both but realize that does not include a wintergarten like you've printed! But, I'm confused. Can I buy either plastic or brass or just plastic?

Hi,

i have made both the Brass and Plastic Version available to buy.

The Brass Version does not have the Isolators like the Plasic Version.

Brass:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WZ5CJ ... ss-version

Plastic FUD:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GSVNY ... arten-1-72

Regards from Germany
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:27 pm 

kawubke wrote:
Quote:

Hi,

i have made both the Brass and Plastic Version available to buy.

The Brass Version does not have the Isolators like the Plasic Version.

Thomas

What is the purpose of the Ioslators?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:10 am 

Hotkey wrote:

These Isolaors prevent a static overload of the low Frequenzy Antenna Cables.

here you can see them on a Typ VIIc

Attachment:
u259adresseducommandant.jpg
u259adresseducommandant.jpg [ 44.93 KiB | Viewed 7763 times ]

Regards from Germany
Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:48 am 

kawubke wrote:
Hotkey wrote:

These Isolaors prevent a static overload of the low Frequenzy Antenna Cables.

here you can see them on a Typ VIIc

Attachment:
u259adresseducommandant.jpg

Regards from Germany
Thomas

That's what I thought! I just didn't see them in the photo of your product.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:02 am 

there are in the middle of the Wintergarten

Attachment:
625x465_3302688_9830662_1429743806.jpg
625x465_3302688_9830662_1429743806.jpg [ 37.63 KiB | Viewed 7756 times ]

Thomas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:10 am 

kawubke wrote:

Attachment:
625x465_3302688_9830662_1429743806.jpg

Thomas

Oh!!!! Haha I'm blind! I see the little guys now just waiting to be cut up! Di they match those that would be used on the front on the sail?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:20 am 

Hotkey wrote:
kawubke wrote:

Thomas

Oh!!!! Haha I'm blind! I see the little guys now just waiting to be cut up! Di they match those that would be used on the front on the sail?

no Problem.

What do you mean with Front on the Sail?

The Front of the Conning Tower? There is only 1 smal Isolator. That one is present in the Kit. The 2 Conning Tower Back Isolators are not in the Kit.

Attachment:
bild_18.jpg
bild_18.jpg [ 144.88 KiB | Viewed 7755 times ]

I have drilled mine out and replaced him with a smal HO Scale Isolator.

Attachment:
k-013.JPG
k-013.JPG [ 21.98 KiB | Viewed 7755 times ]

Thomas

Post subject: U-Boat Type VII C
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:06 pm 

Yesterday I bought a Revell Type VII C (bit late to the party!) after having bought the Revell/ICM Type II. I was amazed at the fine-ness of the Type II thin parts - the railing; the periscopes; and especially the 2 cm gun. I was more than a bit disappointed by the lack of such fine-ness on the Type VII. I understand Griffon makes an AM set for that. Anyone know if it's still in production, or still available? :wave_1:

Post subject: Re: U-Boat Type VII C
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:37 pm 

biggles2 wrote:
Yesterday I bought a Revell Type VII C (bit late to the party!) after having bought the Revell/ICM Type II. I was amazed at the fine-ness of the Type II thin parts - the railing; the periscopes; and especially the 2 cm gun. I was more than a bit disappointed by the lack of such fine-ness on the Type VII. I understand Griffon makes an AM set for that. Anyone know if it's still in production, or still available? :wave_1:

This is all that Griffon has:
http://griffonmodel.com/product_view.as ... classid=79
http://griffonmodel.com/product_view.as ... classid=79

the last link I bought for my Type VII C

I though earlier in this thread there was a link from another company for a full detail up set if I remember correctly but for some reason its not saved in my favorites. I did buy the set from Pontos however which comes with brass screws.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:06 pm 

L'Arsenal has resin details too!
Check them out.
John

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:02 pm 

Photographed and later monument. This is the grave of those killed in 1944 U-250 in Kronstadt. Left sunken Soviet sailors on a small hunter MO-105. To the right of the German sailors killed in U-250(sunk by MO-103, commander A. Kolenko).

(Sorry that is not on the main topic of the forum)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:38 pm 

Hi guys, Ive been away for awhile. Whats the word on this 1/48 Trumpeter Type VII. Is it just a re-pop of the ARK models kit?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:03 am 

No it does not appear to be a repopped version of Ark kit.
Looks very nice but I have only seen a video review highlighting very nice quality clear hull.
No idea on shapes etc but parts and the figures looked good.
Hoping to see more soon.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:36 pm 

Some photos and details are available on the Trumpeter Type VII 1/48 kit. Most notably, it features an interior cut away with a clear starboard hull. A set of photos are here:
https://www.megahobby.com/products/dkm-uboat-typeviic-trumpeter.html

Stand by for real sticker shock: List is $599, but Mega Hobby will give it to you for "only" $399. In addition to a very healthy wallet, you'll need a lot of shelf space at 55 inches (5 feet, 7 inches). Also a lot of glue (at 1100 pieces), a lot of paint, and a whole lot of spare time.

From the description:
U-BOAT TYPE VIIC U-552 1/48 TRUMPETER. The first U-boat of this size ever created in plastic model form, this kit includes over 1,100 parts on 25 sprues, including a one-piece hull and one photo-etched piece. The completed kit is over 55 inches long and features a clear starboard side hull for viewing the interior detail. The completed kit measures 57" x 18" x 7". Kit also includes figures.

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:42 pm 

From the description:
U-BOAT TYPE VIIC U-552 1/48 TRUMPETER. The first U-boat of this size ever created in plastic model form, this kit includes over 1,100 parts on 25 sprues, including a one-piece hull and one photo-etched piece.

I have this kit, and have gone through it, doing some reference work along the way online.

The kit actually has 1383 parts if you include the crew and PE. It is spread over 36 sprues, two hull sides, a one piece stern, one PE fret and one decal sheet.

From what I can gather there are errors in the free flooding vents if you depict U552, but the patterns depicted in the kit don't suit any particular vessel, just like Revell. If you build the kit OOB it will depict 552 around Christmas 1940 as she had no extended windbreak, breakwaters still in place and net cutters fitted then. Yes, it took me all weekend to work this out!!

Nigel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:46 pm 

I was planning on building the conning tower first and immediately hit a brick wall..

I see the trumpy 1/48 kit has the same issue as the Revell kit in that the side intake vents are actually longer than the airducts themselves. For example, if I open up the vents, then fit the ducts inside the tower I will see daylight through the front area of the vent.

So.. Was the intake ducting shaped at its top to slope around the vent or is the kits vent simply not wide enough? I have searched online and in my two books and can't find a definitive answer. I would assume the intake duct is too narrow as depicted in the kit because trumpeter probably scaled up the Revell kit anyway??

Nigel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:49 pm 

I don't have an answer for you (yet, I'm away from references but will look tonight) but might have a similar question. I have the 48th kit as well and am leaning towards painting over the clear and then cutting holes in a more traditional cutaway manner (The clear is exceptionally well done however and it seems a shame). I would like to represent some of the structure inside the saddle tanks and pressure hull, more so than what is in the kit. The AOTS Type VII book doesn't have much information though; are there any sources that have good drawings of said structures?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:46 pm 
Tracy White wrote:
I don't have an answer for you (yet, I'm away from references but will look tonight) but might have a similar question. I have the 48th kit as well and am leaning towards painting over the clear and then cutting holes in a more traditional cutaway manner (The clear is exceptionally well done however and it seems a shame). I would like to represent some of the structure inside the saddle tanks and pressure hull, more so than what is in the kit. The AOTS Type VII book doesn't have much information though; are there any sources that have good drawings of said structures?

I'm still searching and have tonight been watching videos on youtube of wreck dives to see if anything becomes clear??

I've been thinking the same thing Tracy. To correct the holes and bits and pieces in the clear side would be very difficult to keep it looking good and remain clear. I guess you could also cut away the tower on the starboard side too with some added detail in the attack room?

Showing off the pressure hull and saddle detail was however a detail I hadn't considered.. good idea!

Anyone know where i can get some 1/48 scale Salami??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next