The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:00 pm 

I would appreciate anyone's documented findings on actual U-Boat colors used by the Kriegsmarine in WWII, along with current ACRYLIC model paint equivalents, for the following areas (1942-1944):

1. U-Boat Decks, both horizontal decking in the conning tower and the main, wooden decks.
2. Conning Tower sides
3. Hull Sides above waterline
4. Hull sides below waterline.

An IPMS JUDGE opined that "U-Boat decking in WWII was black or a very very dark charcoal grey." I'd like to see documentary proof confirming or repudiating this, as I have a 1/72 scale U-Boat ready for painting.

Much thanks for your replies, documentation and informed advice! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:28 am 

Have a look at Dougie Martindale's U Boat Colours PDF at:

http://amp.rokket.biz/reference.shtml

The wood decks were painted with a wood preservative, which was often charcoal (Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau - anti foul version of Dunkelgrau 53). This of course got faded by sun and salt, and scraped by wear. The tower itself inside was either all charcoal (Dunkelgrau 53 - the non-antifouling version of Schiffs III) or just a stripe at the top, depending. The decks wear also coated with Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau.

Hulls above the waterline were often a medium grey, (Dunkelgrau 51) tho some were very light (Hellgrau 50). Below Dunkelgrau 53. There's more specifics and detail in the PDF.

Our site has links to U 557 site, which has Humbrol enamel equiv, no acrylic but am chasing that up.
http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/index.shtml

Hope this helps and will get back to you with any acrylic info.

Talk Like HAL day - http://www.talklikehal.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:16 am 

Just found some Tamiya Acrylic equiv to Humbrol, can't guarantee exact translation, but looks good. I've added the info below my Humbrol mix chart for WEM paints:

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/paint.shtml

Hope it helps

Talk Like HAL day - http://www.talklikehal.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:54 am 

excellent Site, Rokket! All the best for this Project!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:49 am 

BattleshipHistorian1 said:

Quote:
An IPMS JUDGE opined that "U-Boat decking in WWII was black or a very very dark charcoal grey." I'd like to see documentary proof confirming or repudiating this, as I have a 1/72 scale U-Boat ready for painting.

Be aware that you're talking about WWII paints. These paints faded rather fast and sometimes exact colors weren't available to the yard painting the boat. Check out some of the links at this site for colors. Oil paints have more exacting colors and varieties. You might buy recommended shades of these and match the acrylics to them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:01 am 
I hope that somebody is able to help me in this U boat matter. My father was during the WWII at sea One of his vessels was torpedoed twice by a German U boat. First time on 18/12/1940 by one torpedo of the U96 the crew was able to keep the tanker afloat and they went back to Swansea for repairs. On 8/6/1941 while in convoy uinderway to the USA the tanker was torpedoed by three torpedo's of the U48 the tanker sunk the crew survived

I know that the U96 is of VIIC type and the U48 is VIIB My question is what is the difference between VIIB and VIIC can this be made or is it just technical?? Revbell has very nice kits of 1:72 and wouild like to build them.

Hope that somebody can help me as I am unknowm in matter of U boats

thanks and regards

Wim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:23 am 

Hi Wim. Have you checked out u-Boat.net?

From http://www.uboat.net/types/viic.htm

Quote:
Type VIIC was a slightly modified version of the successful VIIB. They had basically the same engine layout and power, but were slightly larger and heavier which made them not quite as fast as the VIIB

Comparing the two, I can see that the VIIC is longer, but with the same beam.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:31 pm 
Hello Tracy

thanks for the reply Yes I have been looking into that website But as tyold I am totally new on the U boat interests I have recently build the U99 of Revell just for fun and after that I was happy in this modelling and build two Chinese and a Russian sub of Trumpeter

Then I decided to look after the U boats of which my father was always talking But really I have no idea what the difference is as far as I can see its only technical matters and as you said the length Does this means I have to cut a sub of VIIC to bring it up to a VIIB??

I hope that you eventually have more info for me

regards

Wim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:46 pm 

I am no U-boat expert, but there are many out there. You might try the u-boat.net message boards or the SubCommittee.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 pm 
Have you build the VIIC scale 1:72 of Revell?? I would like to know if there are decals of th U96 in the kit available??

Hope that you can help me

thanks and regards

Wim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:13 pm 

Markings are provided for U-69, U-82, U-203, U-253, and U-552. Decals for U-96 are available through U.L.A.D.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:53 pm 
Tracy

Is the space between U and 6 and between 6 and 9 bij big enough to cut this strait and changed into 96?? Or do I must order new markings??

Regards

Wim

Post subject: U-1105 - rubber coated
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:17 am 
PetrOs Modellbau
PetrOs Modellbau

Hey

While ALL my main projects are stalled due to aftermarket deliveries, I fetched a flagman's VIIC/41 kit in 1/350 to build it waterlined OOB+railing. After checking the color options, I'd like to go for U-1105, as it was one of the few rubber-coated, snorkel-equipped boats, and nicknamed a "black panther"... The question is - the rubber coating. Was it really black? It also was reputed to be peeling off, so, what color would be under the rubber? Any photos, anyone?

1/350 Mare Island Navy Yard 1944
1/350 Russo-Jap War Subjects - TB Yanchihe No.201 (in progress)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:04 pm 

What is the differnce between the two Revell 1/72 kits?

I alraedy have the VIIC/41 and have been looking at the other kit... Is it only the armament difference or are there any differences in hull shape?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:11 pm 

Does anyone know about Combat models kits? I know its a little off topic, but im kind of interested in seeing what their 1/72 Type IX is like, but I cant find any pictures there.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:27 pm 

Hello, i build 1/350 ships, afv club launched a type vii b with a u-47 with a diferent scheme i would have think, maybe they have better references, lets see what you think.
THIS IS THE COLORS AFV SAYS.
you can see the regular two grays color, of the photos

The way i see it, AFV is mistaken with the colors, i have asked afv directly about the source of the info but have not recieve an answer, lets see the facts. thank you

1:350 Rules!
Building:
1/350 IJN Yukikaze (Tamiya)
1/350 HMS Kelly. (WEM)
1/350 IJN Shinano (Scratch)
Planning:
1/350 USS Enterprise 1944 (ISW)
1/350 SSBN Borei Class .(Polar Bear company )
1/350 IJN Takao 1944 (Aoshima)

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:29 pm 

There might have been heated discussions about the a/f paint on German WWII submarines. I personally doubt that it was red plus a dark boot topping. Please have a look at Doug Martindale's article, in pdf-format:

http://www.rokket.biz/models/modelsweb/rokket/u557/images/uboat_colours.pdf

Page 11ff ...

He refers to the 1940, 1941 and 1944 editions of the so-called ABB Nr. 31 which was the official paint regulation for the Kriegsmarine. I have checked all three of them, the 1940 edition only online, the latter two I have copies of, and there is no mentioning of red anywhere for the a/f paint of submarines. In other words, I agree with Doug as I have checked his references for myself.

However, I do not have any documents stating how things where handled before WWII. I have something for the IGN of WWI, but I haven't checked this for submarines, will do that later.

The editions of the ABB Nr. 31 do NOT state anything as "alternative" boot-topping or antifouling colour. But by the way, [off-topic], they clearly state the dark grey antifouling paint as RAL 7016, which is the same as the paint used for the boot-topping on larger surface ships (RAL 7016) AND the dark grey painted steel decks (RAL 7016). All the same shade, just with or without the antifouling ingredients ... [/off-topic] :heh:

And ... as stated by Doug as well, in another article just for U-47, the colours on this very boat changed. The upper hull and conning tower was painted "Schlickgrau 58" later in the boat's career. For more details have a look at Doug's article:

http://www.modelshipwrights.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=870

Hope this helps.

Happy painting ~ Olaf!

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:52 pm 

well Olaf, i think the answer its there lol, has the author suggested perhaps for maketing it is more interesting a red hull than a flat gray, but historical facts are the important, at least for me, i have another question to talk about,

in 1941 U-573 (G7)became part of the spanish navy, i sent a post in a spanish forum, hope all of you see it and check the colors of the u-boat in spanish service, also have made a few color examples, thank you all.

http://modelismonaval.crearforo.com/sps-g-7-s-01-ex-u-573-es2330.html

1:350 Rules!
Building:
1/350 IJN Yukikaze (Tamiya)
1/350 HMS Kelly. (WEM)
1/350 IJN Shinano (Scratch)
Planning:
1/350 USS Enterprise 1944 (ISW)
1/350 SSBN Borei Class .(Polar Bear company )
1/350 IJN Takao 1944 (Aoshima)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:40 pm 

Hi All,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now. Great forum. I'm mainly Aircraft builder, but now I will try with some ships.. I have Revell Sub Type VII C in 1/350 scale, and that thing is ready for painting.
I have been wandering about colours, red on the hull or not, now given the discusion of experts above it is safe to say no red on hull.. only light and dark gray..

Post subject: Type VII/D
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:39 pm 

I am going to do a conversion of Revell's 1/72 Type VII/C to a /D. I have the conversion set for it and am a bit disappointed that the deck piece for the mine shafts is a solid hunk of resin. I am going to go ahead and open them up and put some mines in them and maybe leave one with an open hatch. I am going to redo the hatches in photoetch so my question is what is the correct drain pattern for the hatches? The Special Navy conversion set has a star shaped pattern of flood holes, I have seen one picture of the hatch that is partially open and looks damaged but looks like it has a circular patterrn of holes and there is a picture in the AJ Press vol 1 on the type VII that they say is a type VII and has slotted hatches like on a type X boat. So what pattern is correct to make? Anybody have better pictures? Also, How did they open? All one piece and hinged on just one side or split in the middle and hinged on two sides? I thank in advance those that can help.
Mike

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next