The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:42 pm 

Am I still the only other owner of an Ula?

I have to agree that Mike's screws are awesome. I have a pile of theme for various projects. Looks beautiful on my model of my first boat... Shockingly SSN 705...

I'm probably crazy enough to try to fix at least the bow of the Mikromir Tullibee.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:35 pm 

Woodstock74 wrote:
Cool, looking good Tom! So all of this has motivated me to look at Tullibee screws and I put the Mikro-Mir hull together last night and will print this evening (hopefully) what I drew up last night. The screw boss diameter looks to be a little smaller for the Tullibee, hence one of the reasons why I've decided to go the bespoke route. Initially I was hoping I could just repurpose the Thresher 5-blade, but there appears to be about a .6 mm diameter difference between the two. The other was that I suspected the blade diameter might be slightly smaller and Vepr has confirmed that for the 5-blade (my first hit at it I just went with 12.5' for the 5-blade). Though that brings us to the 7-blade that we assumed the Tullibee eventually had; is it safe to assume its diameter was similar to Thresher/Sturgeon's 7-blade?

They probably kept the same diameter for the Tullibee's seven-bladed propeller. The max RPM was 200, like pretty much all submarines of that generation, so you wouldn't necessarily have the issue of blade tips being too fast. But you couldn't make the propeller boss any larger in diameter, and it might actually lead to a decrease in efficiency because you are operating more outside the wake of the very slim hull of the Tullibee.

Jacob

1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:55 am 

Quote:
I'm probably crazy enough to try to fix at least the bow of the Mikromir Tullibee.

That’s an intricate task, getting it symmetrical and properly shaped.

Actually, the easiest fix would be a 3D printed bow replacement piece. The forward hull basically abruptly transitions to a a hemisphere shape rather than the elliptical bow taper as on the MikroMir kit. The question would be is it economically worthwhile for someone to spend the time designing it? And would individuals be willing to pay, say $15-20 for a replacement bow piece?

Keep in mind that the majority of the crazed submarine model builders are those of us on this board… The potential numbers of buyers are small :smallsmile:

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:36 am 

Tom Dougherty wrote:
Quote:

Actually, the easiest fix would be a 3D printed bow replacement piece. The forward hull basically abruptly transitions to a a hemisphere shape rather than the elliptical bow taper as on the MikroMir kit. The question would be is it economically worthwhile for someone to spend the time designing it? And would individuals be willing to pay, say $15-20 for a replacement bow piece?

Keep in mind that the majority of the crazed submarine model builders are those of us on this board… The potential numbers of buyers are small :smallsmile:

The time to sketch this out will be small. I looked at it some more last night as I was sanding the seam line on the hull. There's the natural scribe line for the bow on the kit and that would be my chopping point. Then it's just a matter of agreeing what the shape should be as the CAD time won't be that long. As for price point, yeah, I think I can easily hit that. Easily. As for # of buyers...no concerns there inasmuch as I'm doing it for myself first and foremost. So if anyone else wants one, great!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:37 am 

ssn705 wrote:
Am I still the only other owner of an Ula?

I have to agree that Mike's screws are awesome. I have a pile of theme for various projects. Looks beautiful on my model of my first boat... Shockingly SSN 705...

Dave

No, no longer! Someone purchased one in August!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:44 pm 

Mike,
Well I will certainly buy a new bow section. I was looking at the MikroMir Tullibee and wondering what to do with it. Since I finished the resin kit from YKM as the early outfitting, I would love to do the later version with larger PUFFS and 7 blades. But I was just shaking my head at the wrong shape of the bow. Sure, I could try to fix it, but it would be a real task to get it correct, and I have so many other kits waiting to be assembled.

I will send you a separate email, as I need a few more propellers as well as I want to know if you still produce the 1/350 Regulus missiles. I need a set for Halibut, and I don't particularly care for the thin photo etch wings on the ones that come with the kit.

Tom

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:40 pm 

Tom Dougherty wrote:
Quote:

I like trying insane stuff. You should see what I am doing to the Mikromir PAPA.

I'd still buy one off of Mike since I would likely decide that I need to move on to other projects at some point.

Dave