The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:47 pm 

For those who are building or just simply interested in the Imperial Japanese Navy's I-400 Sen-toku class submarines.

Kits available: Pit-road 1/700, Aoshima 1/700 (old and new tooled), Tamiya 1/350 Regular and Special Edition
PE available: Pit-road 1/700, Tom's Modelworks' 1/700 & 1/350, Eduard and Tamiya and Voyager 350th

Reviews/Links:
1/700
Aoshima New tooled: http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html

1/350
Tamiya (Regular): http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html
Tamiya (Special Edition)(In Japanese with pictures): http://www.tamiya.com/japan/products/89 ... /index.htm

Models in gallery:
Mario Grima's 1/350th Tamiya Regular: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Oleg Dantchenko's 1/350th Tamiya Regular: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Ralph Kuo's Pit-road 1/700th: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Paul Helfrich's Aoshima 1/700th: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Jacek Zommer's Aoshima 1/700th: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html
Timothy Choi's 1/350th Tamiya Regular: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:49 pm 

I copy here my request on the main forum:

Quote:
Hi all,

If anyone has some good pictures or diagrams of the I-400 Sen-toku submarines' railings, it would be much appreciated. I am building Tamiya's 1/350th kit, and "need" to scratch the railings to complete it.

I've seen Tom's set for the 1/700 Skywave kits, but it lacks instructions on placement, and the main deck railing differs somewhat from the pictures I've seen.

So anything showing how many bars (vertical and horizontal) at all points of the boat would be appreciated.

The Yamato museum in Japan seems to have a large model of the I-400, but I've only been able to find one pic of it. If anyone has more pics of it, that would help too.

I've already checked Google Images for "I-400".

I also notice that the back of the instruction booklet provides a good idea of how the railing is arranged, but only in a side view.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:52 pm 

Pictorial reply from user HMAS:

download/file.php?id=1882
download/file.php?id=1881&mode=view
download/file.php?id=1880&mode=view
download/file.php?id=1883&mode=view

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:18 am 

found in a russian forum
ciao peppe

Attachments:
I-400-tower r.JPG
I-400-tower r.JPG [ 564.22 KiB | Viewed 10959 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:47 am 

it is a set of foto of surrendered I-400 in a japonese book on the japonese submarines, vol 2 ed. kojinsha:
http://www.hlj.com/product/KJSWS20
also the book of futabasha editor I-go submarins is full of computer 3d rendering of ,i-400, some very detailled, but no foto
http://www.hlj.com/product/FTB47600
last the russian book on japanese submarine of Apalkov have a good drawing, i annex in reduced quality.
i have the three books so if you need of some detail i can send to you
ciao peppe

Attachments:
i-400 apalkov.JPG
i-400 apalkov.JPG [ 31.76 KiB | Viewed 11034 times ]
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:21 pm 

I am building Tamiya's I-400 kit, and intend to depict her in surfaced configuration, ready to launch aircraft.

Here are a couple of questions:

1. Reference materials say the I-400 was originally designed to carry just 2 aircraft, later the hanger was extended to hold 3. But the first 2 aircraft can be launched within 5 minutes of surfacing, while the third aircraft requires 15 additional minutes because it required additional assembly. So I am a little confused, what extra assembly? Tamiya suggests all three aircraft were stowed in the tube with wings and tails folded, and the floats disassembled. Why does the third aircraft take more time than the first 2?

2. The aircraft floats are stowed in 2 small magazines on either side of the main hanger door. Apparently they would move on dollies which in turn runs on tracks on either side of the catapault. But I notice the aircraft has to be pushed well forward on the catapault before the dolly rails would bring the floats directly under the wing at the point where the floats attach. Does that mean when an aircraft is being preped for takeoff, it would actually ride not at the back of the catapult, but half way forward to fit the floats?

3. The crane obviously has to be retracted while the aircraft is being launched, but what about the pole in the back? Would that pole be deployed when aircraft is being launched, and what is that pole? Is it an antenna mast, or some sort of snorkel?

4. Would the fore diving planes be retracted when the aircraft is being launched, provided the submarine is in hostile waters and would be prepared to submerge again as soon as the aircrafts are off?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:52 am 

in the book I-400 i have read the floats of the third airplane are stowed between the second and the third airplane in hangar because are no place in the two magazines on the side. this can explain the delate in mounting the third plane.
about the catapult, observing the differences in the rail and the gap appearing in same foto, look like the real catapult beguin more or less at one third of the rail (see the scheme, around the n° 24) to have enought space to mount the two foresight airplanes in less possible time.
ciao peppe

Attachments:
spaccato.JPG
spaccato.JPG [ 46.03 KiB | Viewed 10989 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:15 am 

I've heard rumors of large 1/72 scale I-400 kit under development, one being a complete plastic kit while another is a FRP hull.

Has anyone heard anything? :cool_2:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:09 am 

herrmill wrote:
I've heard rumors of large 1/72 scale I-400 kit under development, one being a complete plastic kit while another is a FRP hull.

Has anyone heard anything? :cool_2:

Not till you spoke up!
where & when did you get the rumours from a creditable source.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:31 pm 

Tony,

Have been told by the owner of a well-known model ship dealer they plan to have an FRP hull kit available this year; its geared for RC for the experienced builder. Nothing will be announced until they are happy with the initial pulls. The plastic kit rumor is from a modeler supposedly in the know on another site. I've floated it by my pals at SP & TF72 & no one there has heard of it.

I do know of several scratch builds under consideration down your way, most notably Dave Manning & his planned 1/72 I-400. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Chuck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:27 pm 

herrmill wrote:
Tony,

The plastic kit rumor is from a modeler supposedly in the know on another site. I've floated it by my pals at SP & TF72 & no one there has heard of it.

Chuck

Could it be that he mixed it up with the Lindberg soon-to-be releases of the I-53 and I-20?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:40 am 

herrmill wrote:
Tony,
Have been told by the owner of a well-known model ship dealer they plan to have an FRP hull kit available this year; its geared for RC for the experienced builder. Nothing will be announced until they are happy with the initial pulls. The plastic kit rumor is from a modeler supposedly in the know on another site. I've floated it by my pals at SP & TF72 & no one there has heard of it.
I do know of several scratch builds under consideration down your way, most notably Dave Manning & his planned 1/72 I-400. I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Chuck

Hi Chuck
Thanks I was going to ask if Sub Pirates had heard about it.
Hopefully it will turn out to be a true rumour! 2 I-400 in the same house in train scales 1/30 & 1/72
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:38 am 

Now let me see.... where is that foot-in-the-mouth smile??? :Oops_1: :sorry: :Mad_5: :mad_2:

I must REALY be rapidly approaching middle age combined with a strong dose of senility since I had confused the above mentioned FRP kit in my previous post with a 1/72 Surcouf that is under development - OPPS!!! :doh_1:

It may not be huge IJN aircraft carrier sub, but with that cruiser bow & rotating twin-cannon turret Surcouf will certainly make for an exciting presence on the water.

As we former West BY GAWD Virginians say in China... DEB-A-CHEE!!

Chuck

Attachments:
File comment: Surcouf
surcouf.jpg
surcouf.jpg [ 56.33 KiB | Viewed 10867 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:20 pm 

Hi Folks,

I am gathering info to start my Tamiya 1/350 scale I-400. I have the Eduard etch for it. I was wondering for those who have built a model of this sub (regardless of brand/scale) - what color did you use for the planked portions of the deck. The Tamiya instructions call for mixing a few colors and quite frankly I hate doing that! So can anyone suggest a paint straight from the jar that is close if not dead-on?

Thanks,
Felix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:40 pm 

I used the Gunze Sangyo Aqueous Hobby Colours "Wood Brown" - see if you like that :) :
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

However, North America stores no longer carry Gunze Sangyo paints, so my suggestion might be not very useful.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:27 am 

Has anyone got access to reasonable drawings of i-400 from which I can create a set at 1/144th scale?

HMAS Albatross

Keels laid: IJN Tone

Frames laid 1/25: DDR KleineSchnellBoot

http://www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Edinburg ... 2565540179

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:40 am 

doog_k wrote:
Has anyone got access to reasonable drawings of i-400 from which I can create a set at 1/144th scale?

pm me with your email addy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:02 pm 

I am laying down the hull to the Surcouf, should start glassing in the next week or so.
I have decided to begin work on the I-400 at the same time. I have a couple of books on order and the Tamiya 1/350 kit is on the way.
My plan is for 1/72nd scale operational construction of both ships.
I will keep information updates on this site as things progress.
:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:44 pm 
herrmill wrote:
Tony,

Chuck

can you give me the number of your model dealer so that i can confirm the 1/72 scale i-400 rumors? kronks4@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:11 am 

Now that White Ensign has canceled their planned PE set for the Tamiya I-400, what's the best alternative? Toms Modelworks, Eduard and Tamiya all have sets, and Voyager is coming out with a set. Any opinions on which is best?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery