The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:33 am 

Are there any pics of an LA class equipped with the DSRV-1 Mystic? I ask because Riich Models is putting out tier fine 1/350 with the Mystic strapped to it:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10213323a/20/1

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 am 

http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=1366
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=1365
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=1364
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=1361
http://www.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=561

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:09 pm 

Just came across this thread, most excellent info on the LA class boats. My question is about the ringed prop on the flight III models. Are there any 1/350s out there that have it in their kit?
TIA!
Kerry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:14 pm 

Blackbeard wrote:
Just came across this thread, most excellent info on the LA class boats. My question is about the ringed prop on the flight III models. Are there any 1/350s out there that have it in their kit?
TIA!
Kerry

And if not, any details as to what it looks like, mounting, etc., so that one might make it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:32 pm 

Blackbeard wrote:
TIA!
Kerry

Looks like the Hobbyboss Greenville kit comes with two photo etched props as well as a plastic one. You could try to make a ringed prop using one and have a back up normal one. Make a ring from thin plastic strip with the plastic one? Flattened copper wire?

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:24 am 

Hi all,

Does anyone know what's the name of the other LA class, other than the Greeneville, that has an ASDS attached on top? It says on the wiki article that there were only 2 subs in the class with the ASDS, but I couldn't find the name of the 2nd sub after a further online search.

I have the Hobby Boss Greeneville kit but was just wondering what were my 688i naming options if I changed the hull/pennant number.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:56 am 

SSN-766 Charlotte

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:02 pm 

Tracy White wrote:

Thanks a great deal! Now I will get a custom nameplate made for its display base...

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:18 am 

The USS Dallas was I think the first one to have this done. I served on her from Feb. 93' until De. 96'. At this time she was going through refuel in 96' and getting the modifications to carry the DSRV and the Seal's drydock shelter at that time. Here is a link with the DSRV on the Dallas.
http://www.navy.mil/view_image.asp?id=561

The model that you have shown with the hull number on it is 688 I don't think that she ever had this mod done to her. I know that a few of the subs that were built before the Dallas were decommissioned while I was at the shipyard in Portsmouth, NH.

Duane

Cole DDG 67, The Sullivans DDG 68
Bainbridge DDG 96, Jason Dunham DDG 109
Arthur W. Radford DD 968, Kidd DDG 993
Chicago CG 11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:58 pm 

I would like to ask what is the function of the hump along maybe 3/4 the length of the hull, on the top, starboard side of the hull? I also see this the Ohio class subs.

Also, where do the towed arrays extend from? Is it from the cylindrical shapes at the outer extent of the horizontal rudder fins?

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:45 pm 

Kelaa,

The "hump" is a fairing over the tube that contains the towed array. The winch and cable for the towed array is stored in the bow ballast tanks, while the array is stored in the tube (the fat-line arrays aren't very flexible and have to be kept relatively straight). You can see this on Gato, a Long-Hull Permit:

http://i.imgur.com/pemvruO.jpg

On the Flight I and II 688s, the towed array is streamed from a small tube on the port side diving plane. The Flight III or Improved 688s have a tube on the starboard side for streaming the thin-line towed array, which is stored in the stern ballast tanks (it's thin a flexible enough to be wound around a winch). Some of the 688Is have bulges on the side of their aft planes, which may or may not have to do with the towed arrays. The 688Is also have anhedral fins for dispensing countermeasures and annular screws or screws with vortex attenuators (although these may have been retrofitted to the early 688s).

http://i.imgur.com/NwBrvK7.png

1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:34 am 

Thank you very much Vepr. That was very helpful. I had finished a Cyber-hobby orange Los Angeles 688 w/VLS. After much puttying and sanding to fill in the hull seams and "weld lines" the towed array faring was the only major detail remaining on the hull and I felt like I should at least know what it was.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:26 pm 
I'm curious if anyone has seen pictures of USS AUGUSTA showing the placement of the wide aperture array panels. (She was a test and development boat for the WAA and BSY-2 that were on the SEAWOLF and later VIRGINIA.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:32 am 

Navsource has this photo of her in 1988 - are the flank arrays the ones you're looking for?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:55 pm 

I'd like to build a VLS boat; between Riich, HobbyBoss, and Dragon, is Dragon the only of the three that has the doors molded separately to permit open doors?

Thanks

Jonah

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:40 am 

Attachment:
SSBN -SSN screws.jpg
SSBN -SSN screws.jpg [ 26.15 KiB | Viewed 6672 times ]
Hi guys,

as it seems no-one is making a good 1:350 prop for the Los Angeles and Ohio classes I took the initiative: these resin props are based on the publicly available info on the internet. Diameter for the 688 screw (prop) is 15 ft, for the Ohio SSBN is 22.5 ft. The shafts are kept separate as you see, and can easily be inserted. The ring around the props are there to help in the casting and can easily be removed, but if someone wants a ringed 688i screw the ring might be reduced in width by filing and sanding.

I'm also making an earlier seven bladed variant with less skewback, which was used on every boat from the Skipjack and George Washington classes onwards, I think even on early 688 boats. I might even do a five petal-bladed version for the early Skipjack and George Washington, although these were never used operationally.

The screws are available from Naval Models in the Netherlands http://www.navalmodels.com, or send an email to info@navalmodels.com.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:23 pm 
Those props look pretty nice, I will have to check them out.

That also reminds me of a question. What color should I paint the ring around the prop on the 688i class? Hull (black or red) or the same color (sort of bronze) as the screw? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:29 am 

You've asked the million dollar question! I have never seen yet a picture of such a ring, only covered props suggesting it. And there are models with ringed props, usually colored in bronze like the prop. But these are just guessing as you and I do.

But wait a minute: I have never seen any bronze colored prop on any nuclear sub since Skipjack's paddle blades. Only of grey-ish props discolored by month or years in the water, taking on the same greyish color as the antifouling on the hull. And all the pictures I saw of new props were in black and white, so no much help there.

In the article 'The taming of the screw' it is told that the Smithsonian didn't get permission to cut off part of the prop blades for display purposes, apparently because the inside of the blades was not homogenous material. Which leads me to the question: from what material are these props made? Maybe not the traditional bronze, but some composite material? Carbon, kevlar or otherwise? High-tensile steel reinforcements in the blades? I simply don't know! And that leaves the matter of color undecided IMHO.

So the best advice I can give is make the whole underwater portion including the prop of your sub murky grey, and the upper part suitably weathered in style. This is the only color I can guarantee bears resemblance to reality. For the colors of new props we'll have to keep on guessing, until someone comes up with a photo (in color!) of a shining new propeller on one of these subs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:11 pm 

Here's a colour photo of a LA boat screw: http://i.imgur.com/acNkguB.jpg

One with the ring, but the mesh makes the colour difficult to determine: http://i.imgur.com/14P2Qys.jpg

Taken from Vepr157's amazing prop album: http://imgur.com/a/IQBOi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:54 pm 

Hi Timmy,

You have baffled me with the score of photos from Vepr157's album: super references! Many thanks for that one.

Well, I would now advise everyone: for new screws/propellers use bronze color. The ring in case of 688i is still uncertain, but I would advice bronze as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next