The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:46 am 

Picked up the new Yankee Modelworks 1/350th USS Clamagore SS-343 Guppy III today... so far it's pretty nice. I can't comment on accuracy but I know the researcher who provided the plans and he's top notch, so I'd be surprised if they goofed anywhere.

Well, there is one goof, the box claims is USS Clagmore :lol_1:

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:48 am 

Guppy III
Very interesting that like me, some other people love Guppy III submarines, and many of them posted a lot of pics in the webshots site. I made some search looking for pictures of the Atlantic Sail and found some remarkable photographs of USS Clamagore...see that....131 results....
http://www.webshots.com/search?query=us ... romeheader

Brazilian Navy received 2 Balaos in the 70’s with the Guppy III conversion transferred from US, and were renamed “Amazonas “ ( ex-USS Greenfish) and “ Goiás” ( ex –USS Trumpetfish), beeing decomissioned in the 90’s....... those were galant submarines!!!

Pic of “Amazonas”: http://www.naval.com.br/NGB/A/A056/A056-f07.htm

Me and a friend are involved in a project for scratchbuilding a 1/150 for “Amazonas”
Nice regards: Jimmy

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer

Last edited by Jimmy Conway on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:54 am 

pic posted in webshots link http://image24.webshots.com/565/0/50/78 ... HcS_fs.jpg

Attachment:
clama.jpg
clama.jpg [ 399.57 KiB | Viewed 17030 times ]

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:56 pm 

Hi Guys,
Here is a modified message I sent to Tracy.
If anyone has any information, I'd be greatfully appreciative.
Hi Tracy,
I don't know if I'm barking up the right tree, but I knew you're somewhat of a sub-o-file.
Got pics?? SS345 USS Cochino
I've recently finished reading, "Blind Man's Bluff", and I came up with quite a few dios to model.
At the recent IPMS Nats, I bought the YMW 1/350 Dace, Clagmore and Daniel Boone.
I have chosen to build the Cochino.
I've done some web-searching and only found a few pics; but they were in the GUPPY config; good thing. Remember I can't get onto navsource to see and save pics. If you see any good ones of Cochino in GUPPY config, could you e-mail them to me?
Neighboring IPMS chapter Orange County's, "OrangeCon" is early October, and I want to finish something before this to take along. I have chosen to build the 1/350 YMW Dace kit as Cochino. This will be a minor conversion from GUPPY 1B, (Gato) to GUPPY 2 (Balao). So far the main differences are limber holes aplenty on Dace, and not so many on Cochino, (easier to fill than to add on). A few other items, but it looks pretty straight forward. Am I on the right track?
Any input?
Thanks, Tony

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:05 am 

Hey Tony... I was working on a response when I got the notification on this topic...

NHC has a SS-345 Cochino page that might be of some use. I find that hitting NHC late at night on the west coast makes it usable at least, if not still slow. Unfortunately, she was entirely an east coast boat; the only records I have are for west coast yards.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:25 pm 

Hi Guys,
Off and running....
Here are the beginnings of a 1/350 YMW USS Dace to USS Cochino conversion:
The Dace was a Gato Class GUPPY Ib conversion.
The Cochino was a Balao Class GUPPY II conversion.
The hull lengths, width and draft dimensions were nearly identical, so onward I went.
The numerous limber holes on Dace are not seen on Cochino from aft of the sail going forward, so I'll be doing some filling. Both subs had the same sail, so off I go.
Narrowing of the bow to match o-head views of fellow GUPPY II boats was done on the model, as there are no pics available of Cochino, (that I've found).
There is a sonar dome on the foredeck that needs to be added on, and some other, "details to match photo selected".

Here is the Cochino:
Here is the YMW Dace kit after sanding the bow to shape and a bunch of small liquid filler droplets strategically placed....also some foredeck details were changed, (erased so far), to match photos of GUPPY II's.

More to come, Tony

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:08 pm 

Hi Guys,
I'm back. Boy, this is a sleepy thread. No biggie.
I'm sharing with whomever cares to read.
Here is the GUPPY II a little further along.
I have filled all of the limber holes that do not appear in the previously posted pic of SS345 leaving Portsmouth, "Portsmith", England. Interesting thing: I was advised by a SN board member to find a book entitled, "The Fleet Submarine in the US Navy", an old NIP book. I found one! I borrowed it from the local Santee public library. This is another of those, "Circuit", books that I can not renew, but have to start all over with if needed longer. Any way, on page 144 there is a picture of none other than Cochino dated 2 Feb 1949, and there are indeed limber holes! Lots of em! They are triangular in shape to boot! Did'nt see that one coming! Plus, last night I downloaded a bunch of Navsource images of Guppy II's. Sweet! Now, I've got a solid deck layout, sail details and bow shots to work with. I removed the fwd-most limber holes that were ever-present on these subs, but they'll be conveniently covered by the bow wave on this display. I might even used some L'Arsenal 1/350 resin figures on this build.
I am fortunate and very greatful! Submariners from the Cold War are still around and I have spoken with two very knowlegeable and sharing veterans about this project. Submariners are very cooooooool.
Good listeners and pointed answers. Listening over the phone to these guys was like listening to an audio text book! What fun!
I learned some more stuff; this boat had a EB, (Electric Boat), sail, not a Portsmouth sail as someone earlier asked me; and I did not know. Where did I learn this? From a book!
This will be a w/l build, so most of this hull will be discarded soon. Seems like a shame. I do intend to do a full hull 1/350 Cube of the see dio with SSN-571...later...
Here's the latest hull and sail efforts.

Tony

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:35 pm 

Groovy man, I really dig your psychedelic workbench, man.

Oh, the subs pretty cool too!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:04 pm 

Looking nice! I'll try and get some pics of my Guppy III online soon for everyone. It's only been sitting on my workbench for a year!

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:10 pm 

Hi Guys,
Sean,
Wait till my wife sees, "her", little table top!
#11 blade cuts, CA residue, masking tape residue...paint droplets here and there!
It WAS a nice table. It's only like 20" across with collapsable 12" high legs. This table matches some high dollar wallpaper in the room next to the kitchen. I'd say it's mine at this point, but once married.............
Here is a pic defining the outward appearance of GUPPY's to some degree...
Here is the Cochino earlier in 1949...were all of the limber holes gone in September 1949???
What to do??????
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:58 pm 

:big_grin: Not a sleepy thread Tony, you are just dealing with the "Silent Service" after all!

The guppies are nice looking boats, can't wait to see her in Orangecon.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:02 pm 

Tony Bunch wrote:
What to do??????

It'd be far simpler and more "relevant" to her loss if you went with the later configuration... I wouldn't fancy trying to make that many triangular openings in that scale...

By the way Tony, in case you missed this, we'll be splitting your posts out into picture post in a day or two, once everyone's had a chance to see this notice.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:27 pm 

Hi Guys,
Some progress to share. I've studied many, many EB sail photos, and without o-head views of Cochino, (none found), I will proceed with some conjecture, (albeit factual related to another boat).
In keeping with the last photo of Cochino, there will be three items extended from the top of the sail:
1) Attack scope .025" brass with a tiny lense at the very top...
2) SS-2 radar will be extended upward; not as far as the scope...
3) DF antenna extended the least...
....as per last photo taken of Cochino...

Here is the modified kit sail to better duplicate the Cochino's EB sail....

Here is the sail in place on the already painted, but not yet butchered hull....
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:38 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

The Conning Tower looks really good, Tony. So does the white and black camoflage. I can just, barely make it out against the table top. :joker:

:good_job:

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:14 am 

Hi Guys,
Tough task!
Adding the 6 windows to the sail was simple to plan, and difficult to execute.
I determined the distance to the centers of the windows from the bottom of the sail and scribed a line half-round the front of the sail, (to be sanded away later). I then determined the center to center spacing for the 6 windows using the fwd-center as a starting point.
I then used a center punch to locate the holes to be drilled. Keeping the center punch located into the scribed center line for the window holes was tough. I got the port side widows done right, but I had to fill two of the holes to be re-drilled on the stbd side.
Here are some pics of todays work,
Next step is to finish the sail and paint. Then, I'll be cutting the bottom of the sub.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:45 pm 

I have posted several recent pictures of the Becuna (which has an EB Guppy sail) on my homepage over on the SubCommittee web site. Here's the direct link to my page; the photos are about 3/4 of the way down the page.
Hope these are some help with your project!
http://subcommittee.com/SubComm/member_homepages_search.cfm?MemberID=222

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:58 pm 

Hi Guys,
Thanks Tom.
I think all of my studying paid off, as my EB sail is close to the one in your pics. I suppose I could add on a little more detail, and I may. The sub in your pics is missing the aft most sail windows; or it never had them. I don't think I need to make any changes; unless you saw something.
I cut away the bottom 3/4 of the model today; so it's time to make a base.
I'll post pics later.
Thanks again to Tom.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:39 am 

Hi Guys,
Here is the hull after removing some weight.
The w/l is at the same level as Cochino's last pic.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:57 am 

Hi Guys,
The sail is finished and is permanently attached.
To minimize glue, "oozing", out from under the sail at its' attach point to the deck, I drilled through holes into the deck and into the bottom of the sail. This way, I just add the glue through the bottom of the hull and it went right into the holes in the bottom of the sail and spread from there using capillary action. It worked! Not a bit of, "oozing".
I painted the sail and did some touching up of the hull after so much handling. My CO2 tank expired in the middle of this, so I will finish with some smoother finish coats of flat black tomorrow.
Here are some pics...
I'll get my bottle filled, get the wood for the base. I need to paint the periscope and two antennas. There will be some tiny rigging and a couple of other add-ons, and this thing's done. Lastly, the gel for the water; some texturing and paint.
I thought the kt proivided p/e diving planes would be too thin; now I don't. I think they're just right.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:50 am 

Hi Guys,
The latest on 1/350 SS345 Cochino, "First Spook Sub", and, "On Eternal Patrol".
The paintwork is almost finished. I have spent some time with a highly regarded modeler friend commonly referred to as, "The Weather Man". My friend Jerry Jackson is an expert at weathering, blending colors and finding something interesting to reveal from even a "black" model. By Jerry's recommendation, I re-painted the model in two tones of black,
Grimy Black and Engine Black. Night and day different are these colors! That's just the beginning!
After re-painting the sub, I did some color blending with mineral spirits and some streaking while the mineral spirits were still wet. Then some rust streaking around the limber holes, grabirons on the sail, the capstans and some of the deck details and then some more immersion in mineral spirits. Basically, the mineral spirits loosen the pain and allow further manipulation of the paint.
Here are some pics.........

I still have some more stuff to add, do some dull-coating, add the glass in the windows, add an antenna or two, add the flag and do the base.
Comments are appreciated.......
Thanks, Tony

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next