The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:50 am 

Hi Guys,
A little further along.......
Today, an antenna was added to the sail, (stbd side as per Cochino pic), a "T" mast/antenna at the bow, and an anchor point near the stern for rigging was added this evening. A few days ago, I added a stationary compass and a small signal lamp to the open part of the sail, (as per pics of other subs in the class).
The peloris and signal lamp are Veteran Models items and are very nice small detail additions for this type and other applications.
In the first pic, there are three display components: Model, acrylic plate and the wood base..........

All display components together, (temporarily)..........

Sail details...........

Aft stbd qtr........i like this angle..

What's left?
US Flag and jackstaff, (attached at lower stern of sail..somewhere...), to be added. Pics of teh flag in place in this area just don;t show exactly where teh staff attaches to the sail. I'm not sure if the jackstaff attaches at the port side aft, stbd side aft or exactly in the trailing edge of the sail.
Rigging from top/stern of sail to anchor point on deck aft....that'll add a little something.
Dullcoat entirely...
Use Testors clear parts cement to fill in windows on the sail, and lens on the signal lamp...
Touch up paint as needed...
Attach permanently to acrylic sheet...
Attach acrylic sheet to wood base...
"Do the water"....
I think that's pretty much what's left...
All comments welcome. This is a forum after all.......
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:31 am 

I suspect we'll see that in the winner's circle in the 2009 nats Tony; that is one of the more alive looking black boats I's seen. Very well done!

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey I can't make it out. It's all black!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:34 am 

Nice work!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:25 pm 

Looks very nice, Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:45 am 

Hi Guys,
Just a few last pictures of YMW 1/350 USS Cochino conversion. The display is entitled, ""First Spook Sub...On Eternal Patrol".

Here's a tribute to the memory of Cochino. You won't be forgotten.
Start date 08-23-08
Finish date 11-13-08
Now THAT was fun!
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:28 pm 

Anybody here could help me to find a good source for some Guppy III plans?
Would like to scratch some of these submarnes that were transferred to Brazilian Navy in the 70's.
:thumbs_up_1:
Nice regards: Jimmy Conway

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:00 pm 

Very good work!

Do anyone know of a aftermarket 1/72 refit bow and sail for the Revell Gato kit? I would like to do a 1971 version of Cubera as she appeared in Key West Sub Base ust before her transfer to the Venezuelan Navy.

She was GuppyIII at that time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:38 pm 

Jimmy C,

Did you check http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/index.htm ? They aren't Guppy III but Guppy II might help. I'm not a Bubble Head, so I'm not sure.

Russ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:01 pm 

Quote:
Does anyone know of a aftermarket 1/72 refit bow and sail for the Revell Gato kit? I would like to do a 1971 version of Cubera as she appeared in Key West Sub Base ust before her transfer to the Venezuelan Navy.

Yes. Iron Bottom Sound makes resin conversions and accessories for the Revell 1/72 Gato kit.
See: http://ibs.eastcoastarmory.com/Csets2.htm

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:03 pm 

This is about the new AFV CLUB Guppy IB ( Italian S-510 and S-511, ex. BARB and DACE )

Here's a pic of the boxtop and a page from the instructions - which other US Guppy's can be built from this kit OOTB ?

( both images courtesy Hobby Search )

Not a Guppy expert; I assume some early Guppy IA's and perhaps early Guppy II's ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:36 am 

Guppy II coming in May from AFV Club

Image courtesy of HobbySearch

Ex USS Cutlass SS-478

http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08478.htm

http://www.maritime.org/taiwan/photo.htm

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:46 pm 

Russ2146 wrote:
Jimmy C,

Did you check http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/index.htm ? They aren't Guppy III but Guppy II might help. I'm not a Bubble Head, so I'm not sure.

Russ

Hi Russ, thank you very much for pointing that, I have now downloaded the references, are nice! :wave_1:
Jimmy C

"Oh Lord thy sea is so great and my boat is so small."
Breton Fisherman's Prayer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:49 am 

Hello Gentlemen

I´m building the argentinean submarine ARA Santa Fe, the submarine that was sunk in Malvinas / Falklands war in the year 1982. I`m argentinean from Rosario city.
This submarine was a Guppy II class, the former USS Catfish SS 339. I have found the plans of it on the web in pdf format.
I´m building this submarine from a kit, the AFV Club at 1/350 scale (a gift from a friend).
The kit it´s very good with fine details. But it´s not the same version than ARA Santa Fe. The safety track runs at the other side, the deck has 2 different wide planking, the top sail it´s not the same, the anchor is at starboard side and the after buoy marker is at the same side, not like the kit. The sides of ship near to deck are vertical in the kit but the Santa Fe has slope sides.
But my problem is to understand a drawing from the plans showing “girth emitters”, “bilge keel emitters”, “sail emitters” and “long emitters”. I know that is a device to make bubbles to hide the sounds from engines when use the snorkel. I was searching a photo of these things without any luck.
I need a help from this forum to see a photo of these devices because I never seen them before.
Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 pm 

Quote:
But my problem is to understand a drawing from the plans showing “girth emitters”, “bilge keel emitters”, “sail emitters” and “long emitters”. I know that is a device to make bubbles to hide the sounds from engines when use the snorkel. I was searching a photo of these things without any luck.

I'm not sure the "emitters" are for the Prairie/Masker system, which indeed used low pressure air to create a curtain of bubbles around the submarine. The "emitters" you mentioned may be sonar installations, as the Masker system does not have "Sail emitters" or "Long emitters". Could be lost in translation. The two Masker bubblers were tubes that encircled the hull just for of the sail and a bit aft. I have a set of TAB plans that clearly show the location of these two bubbler lines. Here's a link to the site (HNSA) with those plans:
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/ss350.pdf
See Page 5 of the plans.

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:26 am 

I saw both plans, the SS 339 and SS 350; and the device is at the same place on hull and sail. The drawings of the SS 339 Catfish says “emitters” and from SS 350 “prairie piping” or “mask piping”.
It´s the same device on both submarines ???
It`s not a sonar device ???
Or I`m wrong ???
What else could it be ???

Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 am 

Im planning on doing the Razorback with a 1/72 Gato i have laying around. Plan on an RC project of it.http://aimm.museum/razorback.asp
Ill post when i get started later this winter.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:01 am 

Wanted to make a quick comparison of these two AFV kits in case others want to build or convert them:

At first glance, most components shared, but some key differences between these two kits:

AFV #73512 (lower kit in picture) depicts the USS Dace (SS-247), a Gato Class submarine built at Electric Boat and later converted under the GUPPY Ib program, recommissioning in 1954 for eventual transfer to Italy's Marina Militaire in 1955, where she served until 1972 as Leonardo da Vinci (S-510).

Wikipedia notes the GUPPY 1b program was "an informal designation for a limited upgrade and modernization given to four boats for transfer to foreign navies. These boats had snorkels and were generally similar to the GUPPY IA, except that they were not equipped with the modern sonar, fire control systems, or ESM. The two Italian boats were of the thin-skinned Gato class."

USS Barb (became ITNS Enrico Tazzoli (S-511) Marina Militare)
USS Dace (became ITNS Leonardo da Vinci (S-510) Marina Militare)
USS Hawkbill (became HNLMS Zeeleeuw (S-803) Royal Netherlands Navy)
USS Icefish (became HNLMS Walrus (S-802) Royal Netherlands Navy)

AFV #73513 (upper kit in picture) depicts the USS Cutlass (SS-478), a Tench Class submarine built by Portsmouth Naval Yard and later convered under the GUPPY II program, with the conversion happening in 1948 at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. Eventually decommissioned in 1973 (there's quite a gap in Wikipedia's history), Cutlass was sold to the Republic of China, where she was commissioned in the Republic of China Navy as ROCS Hai Shih ("Sea Lion"), SS-791. As of April 2012, Hai Shih was still in service - she is noted in the instruction's notes as the world's longest-serving diesel submarine.

Wikipedia notes that the GUPPY II program implemented from 1947 to 1951 "was generally similar to the GUPPY I, except for retention of both periscopes and introduction of the recently perfected snorkel. The addition of three new masts — snorkel induction, snorkel exhaust, and ESM mast — required more room in the upper portion of the sail. BuShips approved two different sail designs:

The "Electric Boat Sail" had a straight trailing edge, round windows, a wider top and a more rounded forward edge.

The "Portsmouth Sail" had a thinner top, curved trailing edge, square windows and a sharper lower forward edge. It was put on all boats that used the government plans for the conversion.

Some boats with a Portsmouth Sail had an SV radar and needed extra room to house the aerial, thus had a bulge at the sail top. Later modifications put the SS or SS2 radars on these and other boats that had a smaller aerial and had an indicator with interlocks, allowing the mast to be housed only with the aerial in certain angular positions. Also, some GUPPY II and GUPPY III boats had their sails extended higher above the waterline, the "Northern Sail", to raise the bridge, allowing it to be manned in more severe weather."

Other submarines receiving the Guppy II conversion (but not necessarily of the Tench Class modeled here) were:

Catfish (became ARA Sante Fe (S-21) Argentine Navy) (with a Falklands Conflict role)
Clamagore
Cobbler
Cochino
Corporal
Cubera
Diodon
Dogfish (Became Guanabara (S-10) Brazilian Navy)
Greenfish
Halfbeak
Tiru
Trumpetfish (Became Goiás (S-15) Brazilian Navy)
Tusk (Became Hai Pao (SS-792) Republic of China Navy) Active in service
Cutlass (Became Hai Shih (SS-791) Republic of China Navy) Active in service
Amberjack (Became Ceará (S-14) Brazilian Navy)
Odax
Sirago
Pomodon
Remora
Volador
Sea Leopard (Became Bahia (S-12) Brazilian Navy)
Grampus (Became Rio Grande do Sul (S-11) Brazilian Navy)
Pickerel
Grenadier

For those interested in modeling any of the above other than the USS Tusk/ROC Hai Pao presented in this kit, you're going to have to check USS class type and GUPPY conversion sail type before beginning your builds to assure accuracy. It certainly is possible to switch out hulls and sails between these two kits and still fit parts. The AFV GUPPY ib kit features the "Portsmouth" sail; the AFV GUPPY II kit features the "Atlantic" sail.

So, to be specific about the differences in the two kits:

AFV #73513 (Guppy II)
Ex-Tench Class
Atlantic Sail
Larger sonar array
Anchor location on port side
No limber holes
Upper hull planking pattern and deck features distinctly different from AFV #73512
Decals for both USN and ROC boats
PE includes distinct railings for this class, running partial length of deck

AFV #73512 (Guppy Ib)
Ex-Balao Class
Portsmouth Sail
Small sonar array, located further aft
Anchor location on staboard side
Limber holes
Upper hull planking pattern and deck features distinctly different from AFV #73513
Decals only for Italian naval service
PE includes distinct railings for this class, running the full length of the deck, and handrails for the sail

Here's a comparison of the two sail types:

GUPPY Ib hull bow, with limber holes:

Guppy Ib stern:

Initial assembly (dry-fit sail), GUPPY II - note no limber holes:

Last edited by D-Boy on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:13 am 

Hi Guys,
I just finished a book entitled, "Deep Venture", by Gary Penley; a former US submariner.
It's a simple autobiography of a young man's experience in the US sub service from 1960-1968. The book starts with boot camp right here in San Diego and ends with his near death experience being depth-bombed in waters too close to the Egyptian coast when the 6 day war broke out between Israel and Egypt. He gets his dolphins as a nuke engine man, but ends up on a GUPPY II when his choice to get out of the navy forces him out of nuke subs.
Interesting and factual.
Recommended.
Take care guys, Tony
ps my sub stash keeps growing; thanks to AFV Club, Hobby Boss, RIICH, Airfix etc....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:13 pm 

Does anyone have a copy of the instructions for the IBS Guppy III conversion kit in 1/178?? Im getting ready to start this one and I have misplaced the paper that shows where to make the hull cut...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next