The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 43  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 pm 

ALARM !!!!!!! .............. DIVE !!!!!!!!! ................. DIVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:18 pm 

Hello folks !!! Here the photos of the sub almost finished:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:39 pm 

Hi, I'm curious to know if anyone else noted the exaggerated length on the Alanger Typhoon kit. Provided the figures given on submarine.id.ru are accurate, the kit's about 1.3" too long. If so, what sort of chopping would be required to get it to the correct length?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:23 pm 

At www.deepstorm.ru/DeepStorm.files/45-92/ ... 1/list.htm The Tk-20 Severstal submarine is 173.10 meters long. Check this at 1/350 scale.
Best Regards.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:12 pm 

These are photos of finished submarine (without wethearing):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:05 am 

Congratulations Gesalinas, you've built a very nice Delta IV !

I'm building the Zvezda K-3 sub of project 627, and I don't know what is the correct color for the lower hull. Zvezda proposes a flat sea blue but I've never seen such a color, maybe it was grey green ?
Have you any idea ?
Thank you in advance,
Aymeric

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:16 pm 

Wait a few days. I will investigate this issue and I will respond to you. Zvezda has many errors in their kits and colors are one of them.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:16 pm 

With respect to submarines in the Soviet era, I have understood that they were all black or the hull below water line may have been green. This is supposed to used a anti fouling paint (red or brown red) that became green with sea water.
The sonar dome was silvery white.
In this link there is a Foxtrot drawing, showing the colors and this submarine belongs to the soviet era:
http://submarine.id.ru/galery/t1060.shtml
However I asked a friend of mine and I am waiting for your reply to confirm this.
Greetings.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 pm 

Gesalinas and Aymeric;

I've held off posting anything to see if anyone else had a comment about your question regarding the color of the bottom of submarine hulls. I spent 21 years in the US Navy on submarines and on every sub I saw out of the water, the hull below the water line (including the anti-fouling red on the lower hull) had turned a light green due to sea growth and exposure to salt water. If you do an internet search for photos of subs in drydock, you will probably find examples of that. I’m sure other members who have had similar experience can attest to that as well.

Although I can’t speak authoritatively about what type or color of anti-fouling paint is used on non-US submarines, I would venture to say that regardless of the paint used, any submarine will exhibit the same characteristics once the ship has been waterborne for a period of time. That is, the hull below the waterline will start to become greenish due to sea growth.

As an example, the photos of the Kursk at this link make my point:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... a-dry-dock

The photos show that the bottom of the hull of the Kursk may have been painted anti-fouling red, but it had become green. Also, a portion of the hull above the paint demarcation line had also become greenish due to sea growth fouling.

So, basically, you have a couple of choices. If you wish to portray a sub that is only slightly weathered and had only recently become waterborne, then it would be accurate to paint the hull anti-fouling red. If you are attempting to portray a moderate or heavily weathered ship, to be accurate, the hull below the waterline should be a light greenish color, with a little darker shade in areas where water flow is more turbulent, such as around the stern.

I suspect that people who are not familiar with submarines incorrectly assume that the green that appears in photos is actually the color of the anti-fouling paint. Unless someone can cite a source that states a color other than red is used, I think it would be appropriate to paint the hull as I mention above.

I hope that helps.

John

:wave_1:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:19 pm 

Thank you very much for the explanation ! it's clear now for me. In fact I'm also working in the submarine sector in France, since a year only, but the only submarine I've seen in drydock was freshly painted, and the submarine are black overall in the French Navy.
Aymeric

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:57 pm 

Thank you jcmackay. I´m agree. The sub may be all black or that you say below water line, light green. Very useful data for me too.
Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:25 pm 

An interesting photo set from the Russian Sub base at Gazhievo and from the inside of the SSBN Ekaterinburg:
http://drugoi.livejournal.com/3442784.html

Vladimir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:07 am 

Just a quick question, I just got the OKB Grigorov kit of Yasen class submarine in 1/700 and I must say is a fantastic kit, but I was wondering if the Yasen class submarine got 8 torpedo tubes in tottal or 10 ?
Various source state that there is 10 (5 on each side) other state that there is 8 (4 in each side).
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:38 am 

Second question even thought noone answered my first.
Anyway, anyone knows what is that bulge in the red cirlce ? It seems to be absent/removed(?) on pictures taken during late '90's and '00's:

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:13 pm 

I am still a novice with creating water....not to mention the kit itself. My Alfa (Arii), Akula (HobbyBoss), and Kilo (HobbuBoss).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:42 am 

Quick question, anyone know if the bow diving plains of the new Borei class Ballistic Submarines are retractable ?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:22 pm 

Delta III: I don`t know.
Borei: I`m 99.999999 % sure that bow planes are retractable. These are like that Akula class bow planes.
Regards.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:38 pm 

gesalinas wrote:
Delta III: I don`t know.
Borei: I`m 99.999999 % sure that bow planes are retractable. These are like that Akula class bow planes.
Regards.

Thanks for your answer. Actually the photo is from a Delta IV submarine not a Delta III.
The photo is as built Delta IV with the orginal missiles, not the new R-29RMU Sineva but the orginal R-29RM Shtil those got replaced from 2007 with the new R-29RMU Sineva.
The big distinguishing characteristic between Delta IV carring the new R-29RMU Sineva is a slight bulge on both sides of the missile apartment.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:43 pm 

This picture shows difference between the new R-29RMU Sineva equiped Delta IV submarines.
The Delta IV as completed with the older R-29RM Shtil missiles had no bulges like those in the black arrows:

The OKB Grigorov 1/700 Delta IV is as completed mode, with R-29RM Shtil missiles.
While the Zvezda kit in 1/350 represent Delta IV after the upgrade with the new R-29RMU Sineva.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:35 am 

The lower arrow in your photo I think that may be a flank sonar called Shark Hide flank array sonar.
But I`m not sure.
Regards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 43  Next