The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 43  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:20 am 

Split your posts off to this thread, which is for more than just the Oscar Class.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:11 am 
Hello and happy X-mas !

I'm starting with the Hobby Boss Projekt 941 Akula / SSBM Typhoon in 1/700. (It's my first maritim model)
I have three questions:

1) What's the color of the lower hull. According to the instructions it's red. In a review of the kit it was mentioned, that this is wrong and the lower hull should be dark grey (sadly without giving any references). And pictures of built models show a red bow (lower hull). So I'm a little confused.

2) Is there a good site explaining the whole Antennas, Scopes, Radar ... on the tower ?

3) Is the "white stripe" around the hull above the water level applied to every Akula? I don't see it on several fotos.

Many thanks in advance,
Thalvik

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:44 pm 

The white line is only there on freshly painted units, along with the crest on the bow. It fades after a while and back in Soviet times they didn't have that line I think. The hull is indeed not Red.

Here is a link with some pictures: http://submarine.id.ru/thumbs/941/index.shtml
I have some pics of the lower hull in dry dock too. greenish-grey was the colour if I remember well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:03 am 
Thank you very much for your helpful reply, Neptune.
It's very appreciated.
Best wishes,
Thalvik

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:41 am 

Neptune

would you happen to have any pics of Alfa, and Delta class subs I am planning a Diorama, but having no luck, can find alot of Victor and Akulas but not those can you help.

In the Yard: Planned
1/350 USS. Claxton DD-571
1/350 USS. Watts DD-567

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:44 am 

Yes, how much trouble are you prepared to get into? :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:25 pm 

To let everybody who's interested gain from what I have with me, I'll try to upload some stuff. My favorite sub is the Delta IV, so I'll upload some DIV stuff. If anybody has plans for this type of sub, I'm always interested. I've always been on the prowl for them, but never found anything reliable. Delta III is very different, so I couldn't use these either. Not that the design would be that difficult to make drawings of. However, she has quite a few specialties, the bottom has a slight extension to support the missiles, it bulges out a little below the missile section and of course her well guarded back side has been attractive too. Everybody always thought she had twin seven blade props as on most later Russian subs, but that isn't true. She has five bladers, Delta III also has five blade props, but a very different shape (much less skewed)

Attachments:
Karelyalaunch3.jpg
Karelyalaunch3.jpg [ 123.48 KiB | Viewed 11238 times ]
x_94b2dd3d.jpg
x_94b2dd3d.jpg [ 39.77 KiB | Viewed 11238 times ]
x_432b7645.jpg
x_432b7645.jpg [ 35.8 KiB | Viewed 11238 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:25 am 

profile morskie (polish booklets) have a issue on the deltas & yankees, i have this issue (flota XX stulecia #5) lot of foto and a fair drawing in 1:500 of all the type of project 667 (yankee I and II, delta I, II, III, IV), text and captions in polish. (http://profilemorskie.home.pl/Bookshop.htm)
i don't know if you know these pages
http://www.submarine.id.ru/thumbs/667bdrm/index.shtml
http://www.podlodka.su/03/foto/photoalbum667bdrm.php
http://atrinaflot.narod.ru/1_submarines ... 67bdrm.htm
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/soumarsov/6 ... 67BDRM.htm
are all on delta IV but they are also on delta III and the other models
if you are interested also in a video in russian on akula class (42') this is the address
http://www.rutv.ru/video.html?vid=26460&d=0
ciao peppe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:12 pm 

Really good selection of the Russian boomer photos (mostly Deltas of various flavors) from someone's private collection:
http://barrakuda63.livejournal.com/208063.html

Vladimir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:39 pm 

More photos from the same guy.

SSGNs:
http://barrakuda63.livejournal.com/208684.html

SSNs:
http://barrakuda63.livejournal.com/209741.html

Misc:
http://barrakuda63.livejournal.com/210025.html

Vladimir

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:25 pm 

Hello to all modelers !!!! I´m new here. My name is Gonzalo Salinas. I´m 49 years old. I´m writing from Rosario, Argentine.
I´m a semi professional ship modeler (half to sell, half to me). I like all ships, but mainly german and russian submarine. They are the best.
Here some photos of kit Delta IV russian submarine 1/350 (for a client or customer ???. Sorry for my english):

These photos shows a new bow:

And these a new bottom ship:

A new ruders and sail :

Some unknown sensor of sail:

And the original kit:

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:07 am 

:welcome: :welcome:
Welcome to the board! Your english is very good!

Great job on this ship, your changes are correct and the results are very nice! Please keep us updated on your progress!!!
:thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:56 pm 

Thank you very much. In this web site I downloaded a lot of useful data and photos.
I like german and russian submarines, for me are the best; but I like also sailships or tallships and some liners like Eugenio C, France or Titanic.
Also I like batleships: 2 WW: Iowa, Prince of Wales, Graf Spee; Cruiser: Prinz Eugen, Scharnhorst, Augusta, Indianapolis, etc.
Submarines are the main research for me. One of them, for the future, it´s the Typhoon class, scratchbuild in 1/144 scale, static display all models.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:01 pm 

Here, another pic. New missile hatches. At right, a template to build the cover hatch. It´s of 0.3 mm plastic and epoxi.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:02 pm 

Very nice, so I assume you'll model these missile hatches open? Or at least hingable so you can open them whenever you want?

Keep us updated on your progress!

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:13 pm 

The hatches are fixed. It´s too complicated to make a mechanism to close the hatches. Besides, at 1/350 scale it´s too small and this submarine is for a client.
The submarine model on top of photo is mine. It´s scratchbuild. 99,99 % plastic. It´s a russian Akula 1/200 scale. The hull was made in 2 layers from plastic card, the outer layer was made with about 2000 to 2500 tiles of 0.3 mm plastics card. The sail was made with vacouformed techniques.

The photos below shows a template to make 5 holes equally spaced, using the same blades from the kit. A 0.5 mm drill was used. The diameter cone was bigger than axis hull, because of this I reduced the diameter cone with a drill machine used as a lathe. Besides It was very difficult to me to make the end device on screw’s cone.
Let me know if this text is understandable.
Best Regards.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:17 pm 

gesalinas, welcome to the forum! thank you so much for posting the progress you have on this Delta! This is fantastic! I have wondered about this Delta IV model for a long time. If I am not mistaken it is the only model of a Delta IV. A good friend of mine is former SPETSNAZ, and he was on a Delta IV fitted for special operations for several months. He got really excited when he talked about the time he spent on the submarine, so I have wondered about making a model of the ship for him. I am looking forward to more of your posts!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:21 am 

The text is very understandable thank you! Good to see a picture of that template, looks like a great idea!
The Akula looks magnificent too, from what I see this is an Akula I model without the SOKS sensors around the hull. Did you also scribe or make the hatches aft for the small propellors?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:17 pm 

No SOKS or small screws, because the model is from 1996 year. It´s too dangerous to make a lot of new details on model. In 1996 internet doesn´t exists. The screw and water intake reactors is the only new item added. The sail is a little long and bow planes should be relocated at center line. To make this, I should rework the anecoic tiles and put new ones and fill the previous bow place. Very difficult and risky.
For a actual Akula is better to make a new model.
Best Regards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:02 am 

Very true, better not to waste this excellent model. Most people won't notice those details anyway! I hadn't even seen these diving planes in the position either, although the picture is quite dark in that area after all.
In 1996, there was indeed almost no internet, let alone the picture sources available by now. Akula subs were still quite secretive too back then. Man, modelling was easy back then, detailing based on a few pictures rather than 1,000 of them!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 43  Next