The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:30 pm 

Go with the black (although it really is a more a dull charcoal color). Hit it with dull coat after applying any decals. Don't weather too heavily, as the Navy kept her pretty sharp looking, at least above the waterline.
Quote:
Also, I'm currently reading a book by James Craven; an expose' of sorts that he believed needed to be known by more than those closely attached to so many hush-hush USN Cold War projects. The first section of the book dealt with Cravens' direct involvement with Nautilus' at speed excessive vibration problem that came seriously close to causing the demise of Nautilus.

I believe that is John P. Craven, not James, and the book is "The SIlent War". The Nautilus vibration problem was real & severe, and was due to the lack of experience with sustained high speed underwater travel. As we learned in researching Project Azorian, some of Craven's tales need to be taken with a grain of salt.

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:17 pm 

Hi Guys,
Tom,
Your suggestion makes the best of sense, and what did I just do? I just decided on Gunship Grey as a second color and I've got the boat masked already!
Geeeeeeezzz! To paint or not to paint. Alright call me crazy, but I'm going to paint the second color right now. I'll be using Acryl paint which dries very fast. Tomorrow, i'll decal it and finish the base. You gave me a nudge, and I thank you!
That's the book! I'm loving it too.
I've read a lot of submarine related books lately. i just can't get enough! Above all else, greater underwater speed was the real trick!
Off topic, but related; I recently acquired a running 1/96 SS421 from a guy whom bought it from Steve Vick. When Steve found out I got his old model, he told me that his reason for picking that particular sub was that Dave Merriman served aboard it many moons ago. Those two guys have been friends for a long time now. Anyway, Keith bender is making some more accurate props for this SS421 GUPPY model that I hope to campaign at some upcoming R/C gatherings; along with my 96 R/C Adams DDG. His skill making props is second to none.
More soon, Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:20 pm 

Tony- I know all three through the SubCommittee. Keith of course has emerged as one of our top ship modellers, and he worked at Electric Boat for a number of years, including on the pumpjet for the Seawolf.

Best of luck with your Nautilus model at the contest! I am working on a couple of resin Guppy boats at present, although my occupational work & family issues has made it very hard to find time to really get them going!

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:04 am 

Hi Guys,
Here are some pics of the more or less finished SSN-571 taken on the competition table at the IPMS National convention; a mere week and a half ago.
I actually finished the model on the morning of the last day to enter; Friday. I entered category 415; 1/400 and larger Subs 1946 and newer. There were only 5 or 6 subs in my category, but I did'nt fool myself about my chances of winning. The NR-1, one of the two 1/144 SSN-21's, a Monogram/Aurora Skipjack were all better than my Nautilus; so I humbly thought. During the actual judging period Friday night, even though I was a ships judge at a nearby judging table, I made certain I did not hear any of the judges chit-chat pertaining to my category(s). I also entered a 1/350 Type VII in a different category.
Here are a few pics of 1/350 Nautilus; a 10 day Nats build!
Attachment:
350SSN571-1.jpg
350SSN571-1.jpg [ 117.34 KiB | Viewed 7436 times ]

Attachment:
350SSN571-3.jpg
350SSN571-3.jpg [ 118.19 KiB | Viewed 7436 times ]

Attachment:
350SSN571-4.jpg
350SSN571-4.jpg [ 104.61 KiB | Viewed 7436 times ]

This model ended up taking a 2nd place behind one of the SSN-21's and ahead of the Skipjack.
Thanks to the SSN571 fans!
It was fun.
Tony, "Closet Sub Lover", Bunch
ps Tom, stay with those GUPPY's!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:26 pm 

A question for those in the know.

The Nautilus' outward appearance didn't change much from '54 to '57. The addition of the upward looking fathometer on deck during her first forays under polar ice in the North Atlantic is about the only one I can find aside from the lower two port-lights on the sail that were added after commissioning and then removed at some point. Then in '58 just prior to Operation Sunshine I, she received the round topped sail, and had the limber-holes aft of the dive-planes plated over. Or possibly (since I can't even find weld lines on closeups) The side plates of her turtle-back were replaced altogether. At any rate, the question is this: When was her tail modified from the rounded profile "snub" tail to the tapered point tail? Was it during the same refit prior to the Sunshine operations in '58? Or was it later when she got her reactor refueled? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Fritz K.

Last edited by Fritz on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:35 pm 

Fritz wrote:
A question for those in the know.

The Nautilus' outward appearance didn't change much from '54 to '57. The addition of the upward looking fathometer on deck during her first forays under polar ice in the North Atlantic is about the only one I can find aside from the lower two port-lights on the sail that were added after commissioning and then removed at some point. Then in '58 just prior to Operation Sunshine I, she received the round topped tail, and had the limber-holes aft of the dive-planes plated over. Or possibly (since I can't even find weld lines on closeups) The side plates of her turtle-back were replaced altogether. At any rate, the question is this: When was her tail modified from the rounded profile "snub" tail to the tapered point tail? Was it during the same refit prior to the Sunshine operations in '58? Or was it later when she got her reactor refueled? Anyone know?

Thanks in advance

Georgi at OKB made a reference in his thread in the manufacturer's forum about the Nautilus having two distinct appearances, and having not noticed the changes you refer to above, I sent off a query to the Nautilus museum staff in Groton for any substantiation of such changes... this post made me realize I never heard back from that inquery (they did acknowledge receiving it). With your permission, I'd like to query them again, with your details above included...

- D-Boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:37 am 

Hi Guys,
I have some drawings of Nautilus that I borrowed recently. These are awesome drawings, but I'll have to get permission first before posting.
The differences are clearly shown chronoligically. That is if Tom does not get into this and reply first; whcih would be fine!
Take care guys, Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:02 pm 

Thanks D-Boy and Tony

Specifically what I'm looking for is the date at which her tail was modified from this:

Attachment:
tail1.jpg
tail1.jpg [ 6.22 KiB | Viewed 7284 times ]

To this:

Attachment:
tail2.jpg
tail2.jpg [ 6.75 KiB | Viewed 7284 times ]

The reason being that if and when the pre '57 kit is released (hopefully early 2012), and does well enough in sales, there may be possibility of doing the later version. It's just a matter of figuring out an exact date for the later version. Once I know when the extra three feet were added to the tail, I can Decide which fit after that would work well.. I already have parts worked up for the two different electronics/tophamper configurations, the three different sails, etc. Just a matter of mixing and matching for the appropriate hull shape, (my one unknown)

To see what I'm talking about, take a look here ;-)
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=88067

Fritz K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:21 pm 

Freetime Hobbies posted pictures recently of the new 1:350 scale resin USN SSN Nautilus. Looks like a lovely kit:
http://www.freetimehobbies.com/BRM-35002.aspx

Instructions are worth a closer look here, to assess model details:
http://www.freetimehobbies.com/brm/USS_Nautilus_SSN_571.pdf

Want!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:37 pm 

Now if anyone can just give me some hard data on when the tail fairing was modified, per my previous question. I could work up the late version with round top sail, and limber holes plated over.

Fritz K.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:02 pm 

Fritz wrote:
Now if anyone can just give me some hard data on when the tail fairing was modified, per my previous question. I could work up the late version with round top sail, and limber holes plated over.

Fritz, I've had no reply from the museum, so I will ask anew. Your documentation of the difference is intriguing, and with your permission, I will forward the images you provided.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:00 pm 

D-boy

By all means, you have my permission. I was involved in the survey for the Navy durring her drydocking in 2000 (? my memory blows). However my contacts from that job all only remember how she is now, not the history as to how she got there.

Thanks!

Fritz K.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:51 pm 

Tony Bunch wrote:
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to decide on an operational paint scheme; post North Pole transit......or?
Also, the number of masts/scopes etc. to have sticking up; which ones and how many???? The kits offers many scopes/antennas etc, but almost every underway/surfaced pic of Nautilus showed 1 or 2 masts/scopes in the up position at the most.
Which scopes etc would most likely be "up" while running on the surface?
Also, I thought I was able to discern a darker grey and black color combo in a pic or two; not a light grey.
In any case, would I not want black for the deck surfaces?
I want the display to be reasonably accurate in appearance and configuration. It's all in the details! Study the pics and study the drawings.
Once again, the weathering will sell this bird.
I plan to primer tonight and get the top coats on no later than Sunday; Monday for weathering.
Thanks!
Tony

I am starting to build my 1/350 MIR USS Nautilus kit, and I have a few questions regarding the colour scheme.

If I understand the post correctly, the post polar transit scheme should be:

A light grey upper hull sides over a black hull,
The non-slip walkway should be black,
The upward looking sonar and sail should be grey as well?

Finally, the lower hull (below the waterline - that always strikes me as a funny term as the whole boat goes under water!), was that also black or was there some sort of anti-foul red at this time?

Cheers,

Pappy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:12 pm 

I have a question, how does the MicroMir kit compare to the Blue Ridge resin kit?

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:41 pm 

I was wonderingvthe same thing. If the two kits are showing Nautilus at 2 different periods also.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:22 am 

I did a lot of on-line comparing between the two kits. I lean towards Mircromir with their photo etch set. The details appear to be a bit finer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:23 am 

Some comments on the Micro-Mir kit:

Here are some photos of a build on this forum: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=155502

And build comments on another forum: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/ind ... pic=271575

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:55 pm 

Thanks guys, Im probably going with Blue Ridge. I really like their products..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:46 pm 

This question has been asked before, but no one answered, so I'll ask. What was the exact configuration of Nautilus on Operation Sunshine? I've gathered that the sail was extended about a foot vertically, the limber holes in the superstructure were plated over, the top row of windows on the sail were replaced by what looks like a navigation light and a sonar device was fitted to the upper deck (which both the Mikro-Mir and Blue Ridge kits have). As for paint it appears that the horizontal sides of the superstructure and sail were painted a medium/dark grey, the upper and superstructure hull were painted black and the hull below the waterline was painted red. Does anyone know if this is right?

1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:44 pm 

It's been real tough to find specifics to the Nautilus' configuration at the time of 'Sunshine', at least anything to find on the internet.

I live in Connecticut and have been wanting to take another trip to see her. Maybe I can get into the submarine library archives and get some information about it. When I finally get there I'll let you know here what I find.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next