The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:00 pm 

I thought that this topic should be added as these subs were very cool looking with their plane launching capabilities, along with daihatsu and kaiten launchings. We can exclude the I-400 class because there is a seperate topic alone on that type of sub.

Last edited by Quincy on Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:39 pm 

Here is my Tamaya 1/700 I-58 Late model sub. This is my first model in this scale and even though the pictures really highlight the flaws I enjoied myself. The flash makes the sub almost look bluish but its not. It's dark gray.

Dirk

Currently at the yard fitting out:
1/570 HMT Olympic in Battledress
1/1200 Revell USS Yorktown

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:00 pm 

The long awaited Lindberg 1/72 1-20 & 1-53 kits are due to arrive next month. :thumbs_up_1:

Would anyone know of any planned after market kits in the works? From what I've seen of available photos, they'll need a lot of detailing & some corrections to make them into an accurate C type. I see lots of potential for using either kits as a base for converting to a B type carrier subs, & am planning to do that with the I-53.

Chuck

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:08 am 

chuck wrote:
Many IJN submarines feature a large prominent bulge in front of the conning tower. What is the purpose of this bulge.

I believe it was to store the seaplane. Other then the I-400's and I-13's other previous classes of Junsen boats carried small planes...the bulge was their "hangar".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:45 pm 

I have a few questions of my own to add to this thread, as I'm now building an IJN sub, though a rather small one - specifically Fine Mold's 1/72 IJN midget sub, the Sydney Harbour attack version. The kit's detail is excellent, as is the fit of the parts, so there is not a lot of extra work needed (other than rigging the aerial wires) but I still have a few questions:

I don't have any books covering the subject, so did some searching on the web; there are quite a few websites with information on IJN midget subs, including photos of the preserved example at the Australian War Memorial museum - http://www.pacificwrecks.com/ships/subs ... b-m22.html and http://www.combinedfleet.com/Sydney.htm . However, none of the photos I found answered my questions:

- The "conning tower" has a round crew access hatch at the top. Did this have a handwheel, grab handle or similar on the outside? None is represented on the kit part. (I found an archive photo of a sub with an opened hatch, clearly showing a handwheel on the inside. But I haven't managed to find any clear photos of the other side of the hatch!)
- The props of the preserved sub are painted black, like the rest of the hull. Is this accurate for its original appearance, or was it repainted for museum display? (The kit instructions specify brass/gold paint, as usual for props)
- There appear to be two small chains connecting the torpedo tube covers (photo 1 and 2) along with two small "grab handles" on each cover - are these original, and are there any photos showing this area more clearly? Some of the fittings in this area on the AWM's sub also appear to have an unpainted bronze appearance, which I assume isn't original.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:36 pm 

Edward Pinniger wrote:
I have a few questions of my own to add to this thread, as I'm now building an IJN sub, though a rather small one - specifically Fine Mold's 1/72 IJN midget sub, the Sydney Harbour attack version. The kit's detail is excellent, as is the fit of the parts, so there is not a lot of extra work needed (other than rigging the aerial wires)
Aerial wires? the wire rope from the net cutter on the conning tower, to the net cutter on the bow, is a serrated wire for net cutting.
The wire from the rear of the conning tower to the prop guards did not have insulators for use as an aerial

- The "conning tower" has a round crew access hatch at the top. Did this have a handwheel,
Yes

- The props of the preserved sub are painted black, like the rest of the hull. Is this accurate for its original appearance,
AFAIR yes

- There appear to be two small chains connecting the torpedo tube covers (
along with two small "grab handles" on each cover - are these original,
Yes

and are there any photos showing this area more clearly?
I do have an old plan of the sub drawn 6-42, when I get to see with 2 eyes later this week I will scan the bow area

Some of the fittings in this area on the AWM's sub also appear to have an unpainted bronze appearance, which I assume isn't original.

Could be camera flash I can't see to well at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:36 pm 

G'day Edward,

I, too, am just beginning my research on the very same sub and am constructing the very same kit!!

The RAN had a drawing of M-21 done up and I have a rather small copy of this (hmm...a midget copy?). There has been renewed interest in the Sydney subs following the discovery of M-24 a couple of years ago and there is now quite a number of drawings and things that I discovered only last night.

The NSW Dept of Heritage has an excellent site on the subs here:

http://www.m24maritime.heritage.nsw.gov.au/

which is where I got the drawings from.

They also have a computer generated image of the sub from the drawings the RAN prepared.

I am always keen on more pics, though.

cheers,

bj

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:14 am 

Many thanks for the information + links! I didn't find that M24 site despite numerous Google searches with different keywords, the computer-generated images should be quite useful, particularly the bow + stern area ones.
The CG images also show the unpainted bronze fittings on the bow, but I strongly suspect these were originally painted black like the rest of the sub, given that the props (also bronze) were painted.

Anyway, it shouldn't be too hard to scratchbuild the various small additions needed. I think I have some 1/400 PE chain which would be suitable for the chain connecting the tube covers. The turnbuckles on the net-cutting wires might be a challenge though!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:50 pm 

Just spent the evening looking through the links listed on the M-24 site. In particular, the National Archives site references a whole lot of material that they are holding including detailed plans and photographs of the interior and exterior of the two recovered subs as undertaken by the Royal Australian Navy in the period immediately following the attack.

This really is an excellent source with 302 pages in one lot (most of it explaining how things work, such as the firing sequence for the torpedoes but many detailed interior and exterior drawings and photographs, as well) and two other lots of in excess of 100 pages each.

One important point to come out of this was that there is an access hatch on the underside of the sub which was used by the crew to board the sub from the deck of the mother-submarine. Specifically, I noted a comment that this access hatch did not exist on the Pearl Harbour submarines. The FineMolds kit is really just a corruption of the Pearl Harbour kit and so does not have the underside access hatch in it.

The NAA files give some scratchy photographs and sketchy plans of the hatch, together with dimensions. Given it is on the bottom of the sub and I am still reviving my modelling skills from 25 years ago, I am wondering whether or not to undertake this part of the project. I would be interested in the views of others.

There are also lugs near this hatch which were used to assist in tying the midget to the mother-submarine.

On another, more poignant note, I read a report stating that the mother of one of the crewmen visited Australia to see where it was that her son had died. She brought with her some cherry blossom which she laid upon the waters of Sydney Harbour above where he had died. So I have decided to place my rendition of the kit on a base of cherry wood.

cheers,

bj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:35 pm 

And here she is....

My first attempt at a model in over 25 years.....

I must say that the decals on this Finemolds model were the worst I have ever come across. They refused to stick!! It's a shame as their quality detracts from something that I went to a bit of effort to try and do right.

She is resting on a piece of cherry wood - something significant for Japan (see my earlier post above).

Quick Kit Review

Overall, I was pleased with the quality of the kit as far as fit was concerned....but that's about as far as it goes.....

I'm a bit of a "build it straight out of the box" man although I don't mind adding bits and pieces to finish it off. In this case, however, I was annoyed that Finemolds essentially took their rendition of the Pearl Harbour midget sub, changed the front bow shields, net cutters, conning tower attachments and propeller guards and, well, that's about it.

The weld lines are in the wrong place, there is no underside access hatch and the decals are incomplete (there are no numbers for the individual subs). There were a few other little bits that came out as I was building it that I can't recall which mainly centred around the look of things when compared against the only existing plans which were prepared by the Royal Australian Navy in 1942 from the recovered subs. These plans are available from the Australian Archives but I wonder if Finemolds bothered to take a look at them.

It would take too much work at this end to prepare an entirely accurate scale model of an original based upon this kit but it does produce a good rendition which, to the casual observer, is about right.

cheers,

bj

Attachments:
DSC_0080.jpg
DSC_0080.jpg [ 95.97 KiB | Viewed 21855 times ]
DSC_0082.jpg
DSC_0082.jpg [ 88.44 KiB | Viewed 21858 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:24 pm 

Some more pics....

cheers,

bj

Attachments:
DSC_0088.jpg
DSC_0088.jpg [ 91.46 KiB | Viewed 21846 times ]
DSC_0089.jpg
DSC_0089.jpg [ 89.73 KiB | Viewed 21844 times ]
DSC_0090.jpg
DSC_0090.jpg [ 92.5 KiB | Viewed 21845 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:51 pm 

So I have the AFV Club I-19 almost ready for paint. The instructions call out for natural wood decks; does anyone know of a source that backs this up or says otherwise, and if it was natural wood, what type?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:43 pm 

I'll try to research it, Tracy. Certainly natural wood immediately prewar. Decks painted black or dark later in the war but I'm unsure of exactly when. Type of wood unknown - TBD.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:46 pm 

Thank you. I'm primarily interested in I-19 as she would ave been in December '41 and then I-25 as she would have been in October of 1942.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:00 pm 

I checked several sources (Gakken #17, Maru Ship volumes, KMM vol on subs, Polomar book) & I cannot give you a definitive answer. Most deck photos show various shades that can interpeted an number of ways - weathering, wet, etc. but generally, the earlier the photo, the lighter the color.

1942 and earlier photos tend to show lighter decks with greater contrast between the deck and the hull/sail. !943 and later tend to be darker. Also, Gakken #17 has 2 magnificently detailed 1/200 models of I-19 & I-180, respectively. Both show unpainted wood decks.

Color wise, the natural wood tones are more golden than red, unlike, say IJN flight decks. FWIW

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:22 pm 

Thank you. The only photo I had been able to find showed a dark deck; it is the third photo down on this page. Undated and unidentified, of course....

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:26 pm 

Does anyone have any input as to which 1/700 IJN subs are any better than the others? Looking primarily at subs other than the I-400 types.

Opinions appreciated
--Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:21 pm 

The Tamiya sub I-58 comes in early and late versions. It's pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:12 am 

My favorite kits are Tamiya's I-16, Hasegawas I-171/168 kits.

Tracy, for the 1-19's deck you could lightly stain it black. I'm sure it washed out pretty quickly from being submerged for long amounts of time. This way it will have a nice used and abused appearance. I think that the I-19 also had the top of its conning tower and hangar painted black while the rest of the sub was in gray.

Hope this helps you out, and Merry Christmas. :wave_1:

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:06 am 

Good afternoon, gentlemen!

Could anybody please translate the Japanese text on the colour instructions of the Nichimo 1/200 I-19 for me?

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10098612t2/60/2
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10098612t3/60/3

A big thank you!

Best regards,
Peter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next