The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:30 pm 

Anybody?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:48 am 

Links to U-505 pictures taken at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry, with some interior shots here: https://inchhighguy.wordpress.com/?s=u-505

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:00 pm 

For the 1/144 scale fans, Revell has announced a late war Type IX C/40 with the quick-submerging deck, snorkel, and wintergarten: https://www.revell.de/en/products/model ... -u190.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:27 pm 
Awesome, His Majesty's Canadian Submarine U190 in 1/144! I'll be grabbing one of these and some bright yellow and red paint.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:35 am 

Timmy C wrote:
For the 1/144 scale fans, Revell has announced a late war Type IX C/40 with the quick-submerging deck, snorkel, and wintergarten: https://www.revell.de/en/products/model ... -u190.html

I would like to do this as U-869 sunk off New Jersey coast, dived on and verified by John Chatterton, Richie Kohler, and Kevin Brennan. Hoping for a photo etch set from RCSUBS.CZ.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:28 am 

4 questions:

On some IX boats, there is a circular ring mounted horizontally on its side held up by two posts on the middle of periscope stand, between the two periscopes. Anyone know what it is for?

Also, starting from late 1941ish, many VIIC boats were completed with a prominent columnar bulge on the port side of the open bridge to,house a retractable rod antenna. What is that antenna for and. Was there an equivalent antenna added to the IX boats? I saw one photograph of a type IX in which the top of the middle of periscope stand, beteeen the periscope themselves, has a circular hole. In the caption it is said the hole is for a retractable antenna. However, it seem implausible that it would contain the same retractable antenna as on VIIC Because in the latter, bulge on the side of the open bridge provides room for the antenna to retract without butting into the pressure hull ir conning tower. On the IX it is in the middle of the bridge and can’t retract unless there is a well in the watertight conning tower directly beneath it to receive to. What do you think?

Early IXC boats have three periscopes, two periscopes in the middle of the open bridge operated from the watertight conning tower directly underneath, and a third on the port side of the open bridge operated form the control room in the main pressure hull under the conning tower. The two periscope in the middle appear to be an attack scope with a small periscope head, and a night periscope with a bulbous head, both similar or identical to those ones on VIIC. What type of periscope head is on the third periscope to the port side? Many illustrations simply show the tip of periscope tapering to a point, like an attack periscope, but without the small head at the top. Is it configured like another attack periscope?

Also, many illustrations shows the third periscope raised higher than the other two periscopes. How could this be? All three periscopes has to fit between the keel and top of the open bridge when retracted. So the shaft of the three periscopes has to be of similar lengths. But when extended, the third periscope is viewed from inside the pressure hull, one full deck lower than the conning tower inside which the other two periscope is viewed, so when raised the top for eh third periscope should be approximately one deck lower than the tops of the two periscopes in the middle of the open bridge. What do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:25 pm 

Does anyone know of some references showing the arrangement of air ducts, exhausting, and ballast plumbing under IX’s deck casing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:52 am 

On some IX boats, there is a circular ring mounted horizontally on its side held up by two posts on the middle of periscope stand, between the two periscopes. Anyone know what it is for?

This ring is a stand for a lookout person, to keep him on his feet when the ship is rolling and rocking while he's standing high above the bridge.

Early IXC boats have three periscopes, two periscopes in the middle of the open bridge operated from the watertight conning tower directly underneath, and a third on the port side of the open bridge operated form the control room in the main pressure hull under the conning tower. The two periscope in the middle appear to be an attack scope with a small periscope head, and a night periscope with a bulbous head, both similar or identical to those ones on VIIC. What type of periscope head is on the third periscope to the port side? Many illustrations simply show the tip of periscope tapering to a point, like an attack periscope, but without the small head at the top. Is it configured like another attack periscope?

This third 'thing' is not a periscope, but an antenna, a so-called 'ausfahrbare Stabantenne' for HF transmissions. So yes, the tip is tapering into a point.

So the next question is also solved: yes it can retract, but doesn't need to retract as far as the periscopes, and it will be telescopic too, And according to the cross section it runs as far down as the keel.

Does anyone know of some references showing the arrangement of air ducts, exhausting, and ballast plumbing under IX’s deck casing?

And you ask for my reference: the booklet 'Vom Original zum Modell: Uboottyp IX C' by Fritz Köhl and Axel Niestlé. Bernard & Graefe Verlag, Koblenz 1990. There are several rather detailed plans in there, but concentrating on the later variants of the Type IX. In this book some indications on the drawings what is between inner pressure hull and outer casing, but not complete piping diagrams. Some photos though that might help you further.
Possibly the great 'bible' on German submarines might help you to all the details: 'Die deutschen U-Booten und ihre Werften' by Eberhard Rössler. Hard to find so expensive to get.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:48 am 

Thank you. I didn’t know the thick extensible tube on the port side of IX C bridge is an antenna. Several sources confirm IX B had three periscopes including one that is operated from the control room, and that third control room periscope was omitted in IX C. The extensible tube on early model IX C seems to be of similar diameter as the periscopes, so I assumed the omission occurred later during iX C’s production run. Early production IX C’s retained the Periscope. I stand corrected.

However, that extensible tube does appears to be the same diameter as a periscope and far thicker than necessary for a rod antenna. Would I be correct in assuming the tube is actually an extensible housing for the antenna perper? The antenna proper actually telescopes out from the tip of the tube?

Is the extensible tube designed to enable the Uboat to raise the antenna above water while the boat is at periscope depth?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:15 am 

chuck wrote:
Thank you. I didn’t know the thick extensible tube on the port side of IX C bridge is an antenna. Several sources confirm IX B had three periscopes including one that is operated from the control room, and that third control room periscope was omitted in IX C. The extensible tube on early model IX C seems to be of similar diameter as the periscopes, so I assumed the omission occurred later during iX C’s production run. Early production IX C’s retained the Periscope. I stand corrected.
I wouldn't know any sources confirming the use of three periscopes, I cannot see the reason for having three. Can you see a practical reason why it would have a third periscope doubling one of the others? (being a very complex and expensive piece of equipment requiring a very complex installation as well.) If it would be doubling one of the others, I can only think of another search periscope, not another attack periscope.

chuck wrote:
However, that extensible tube does appears to be the same diameter as a periscope and far thicker than necessary for a rod antenna. Would I be correct in assuming the tube is actually an extensible housing for the antenna perper? The antenna proper actually telescopes out from the tip of the tube?
I believe you are right, only the tip of the mast is the antenna. Current subs operating regularly at periscope depth (like the Dutch navy) have a very similar telescopic mast and coms antenna.

chuck wrote:
Is the extensible tube designed to enable the Uboat to raise the antenna above water while the boat is at periscope depth?
Yes, definitely.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:46 am 

The third periscope on IXb is said to be operated from the control room, where as the other two periscopes are operated from inside the conning tower. So I would assume that periscope is intended to allow the submarine to be commanded from the control room when operating at periscope depth.

On VII, there were only 2 periscopes, but 1 is also operated from inside the control room, the other from inside the conning tower.

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to operating the periscope from either position.

Because the total length of the periscope tube is limited to the combined depth of the submarine hull and conning tower, how high the periscope head can be raised above the highest point of the boat depends on how high the observer’s eyes are inside the submarine. So a periscope operated inside the conning tower above the main pressure hull can be raised one deck level higher above the top of the boat than one operated inside the main pressure hull in the control room. This allows the periscope depth to be deeper by one deck height, reducing the chances of broaching in rough sea while observing through periscope.

But conversely, conning tower is a small space with only torpedo setting equipment inside. Sonarman, navigator, chief of the boat, helmsman and planesmen are all in the control room or immediately adjacent to it. So operating the periscope from inside the control room allows easier communication and tighter supervision of the boat operation.

The above assumes a single periscope was not set up to be viewed in both positions. In theory it seems possiblr to me that by raising the periscope to different heights it can be used in either position. But I think U-Boat periscopes were not so configured because literature mention the scope viewing position had a seat and foot peddles to rotate the scope. Which implies there is more to operating the scope than to simply position the eye piece at the convenient eye level.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6