The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:04 pm 

thomcmdchief wrote:
Great suggestion, I'm now on that quest! :thumbs_up_1:

I'll contact some of my armor buds and see what they have to say, let us know if you find any links in your searches.

Here is a cable http://storymodels.com/en/towing-cables ... usfg-.html

and another set
http://www.internetmodeler.com/2005/jan ... cables.php
http://www.eurekaxxl.com/sets/towing-cables-72

more stuff
http://www.eurekaxxl.com/tips-and-trick ... le-er-3538

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:43 pm 

I found several things I can use for rigging from Keith at http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/1.html. Has some very specialized ship supplies, including cable thimbles, shackles and turnbuckles. I placed an order, so well see how that works out. Otto, at http://www.rcsubs.cz/index.php/models/models/69-typ-ix will have his PE set, including the deck out in about two weeks, at a cost USD $88. plus postage. I still can't find out anything from Blue Ridge about an upper pressure hull, but I do know that CMK is working on it, as well as similar sets for the type XI C as they had for the VII. Just have to wait and see what shakes out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:27 am 

Here's a PE set from Augsburg Germany that looks interesting but pricey: I found the set on the German E-Bay site,
eBay item number:291056386640. ModelBrass put something similar out for the Revell type VII C when they came out yeays ago, but they're out of business now.

Attachments:
SRS-1401_1.jpg
SRS-1401_1.jpg [ 108.73 KiB | Viewed 4298 times ]
SRS-1402_1.jpg
SRS-1402_1.jpg [ 108 KiB | Viewed 4298 times ]
SRS-1403_1.jpg
SRS-1403_1.jpg [ 164.36 KiB | Viewed 4298 times ]
stern tube vents.JPG
stern tube vents.JPG [ 26.99 KiB | Viewed 4298 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:52 am 

I am seriously thinking about building this one straight out of the box. I cant rea;;y afford the upgrades right now, and I dont want it to stagnate like my type VII......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:48 pm 

I ordered the brass deck and PE set from Oto yesterday and he confirmed shipment. I'm still waiting on someone to come up with a upper pressure deck to fill up that empty space under the deck. I guess I just need to be patient. :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:43 pm 

Eduard has posted two new PE frets for the ROG IXC today, and they are already posted on Ebay from Hobbymaster in the USA. One set is simply the limber hole replacement brass, similar to Boris' SRS fret, and the other has some hatch covers, gun enhancements. Still nothing on an upper pressure hull resin piece, or wooden deck replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:49 pm 

Good to know!! Thanks! I would just like to see a breakdown on how mich of the deck was steel vs wood. If it was mostly steel I would be fine with a PE deck. However, if it had alot of wood I would like to go with a wood deck. I am really pleased with how my wood deck looks with brushed paint and then buffed down a little bit to show the wod in my type vii.

Sorry for the sloppy typing and punctuation. Im on my phone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:54 pm 

I received my PE deck and accessory set today from Oto Gerza in the Czech Republic, and it is a piece of work, absolutely beautiful. :woo_hoo:

Thom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:32 pm 

thomcmdchief wrote:
The kit supplies nothing, nada for running these cables and expect the builder to use a knot to secure the cotton line. That, IMHO sucks. So anyone got a source? I do have some brass turnbuckles for a model ship fitter in Great Britain, and I have 0.3MM braided wire for the cables, but the problem are miniature shackles and thimbles and turnbuckles with threaded bolt fittings to secure to the shackles. The jumper cables require eight sets of this hardware (seven if you use only two attachment points on the tower). Anyone got any ideas?

Fancy meeting you here! LOL

Just wondering about that 0.3mm braided wire for cables that you are referring to... can you hook us up with a link, please? :D
Yeh... turnbuckles... ugh. I make my own but they are pretty basic could definitely stand improvement. So yeh... any help on shackles, thimbles, turnbuckles, etc. would be MOST appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:14 pm 

Sorry about the delay, I haven't been here in a couple of weeks/ As I recall, I bought this stuff on Amazon. It's .3mm 7 strand braded beading wire used by for stringing jewelry beads. The brand is Cord Basics, the stock # is 3202002, its coated but not thick plastic coat, some sort of thin adhesive I'd guess. There's a website cousin.com on the spool, and as I recall, 40' was five or six dollars. Let my know what you all think. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:56 pm 

Nautilus has a replacement wooden deck with vinyl deck hatch covers and other accessories finished and advanced orders are being accepted at his website and Freetime. The photos look good, as usual, we'll have get a closer look at the accuracy. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:40 am 

Has anyone had any issues with attaching the plastic parts to the wood deck?
Did the super glue try and migrate across the deck when attaching the conning tower or are you guys using the gel type?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 pm 

Hi everyone,

I picked up my Revell Type IX last week and I'm afraid I'm going to be the first to say something bad about the model. When I got it home and took a look at it, I noticed that the hull is heavily detailed with rivets. Over the years, I've crawled all over the actual U-505 in Chicago and I just couldn't recall seeing rivets. So, I dug out my photos and on the actual ship, rivets are very subtle and don't jump out like on the kit. Don't ask me to explain how Revell got such a minor detail so wrong, but it means a lot of sanding for any modeler trying to accurately replicate the class of ships.

I've just begun looking at the kit and I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks.

John :wave_1:

Last edited by jcmackay on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:19 pm 

I see them here:
Attachment:
U-505chicago.jpg
U-505chicago.jpg [ 159.07 KiB | Viewed 3790 times ]

I don't know if Revell put theirs in the same position, but if they did, then it's just an issue of overscaling, rather than inaccuracy.

Incidentally, if you're using an LCD or LED monitor, tilt the screen back - you can see the contrast better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:30 pm 

Tim,

Thanks for the photo. Like they say, "Never speak in absolutes." :doh_1: I agree with you about the over-scaling. If you get a chance to look at the model kit, though, I think you'll agree that the rivets appear way out of scale, which doesn't lend well to an accurate appearance and is distracting.

John :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:48 am 

A more serious error in my view is: U 505 is definitely fitted with a wooden deck, it's easy to see on the pictures in the museum now.

However, Revell created the kit with obviously the steel deck version, only with the wooden grated covers over the torpedo storage compartments, eight of them, in two varieties. In the painting instructions however they suggest painting the entire deck dark gray: not brown-black (Teerfernis) as would have been appropriate for the wooden deck, or even those stowage compartment lids.

Of course this configuration could have existed just as well, but apparently not on U 505. So either live with the error, or replace the deck with a wooden version, maybe Nautilus will come to the rescue? Or change the identity of your boat to one applicable to this configuration.

I think the error arises from the ancestry of the kit: Tehnoart from Russia sells a beautiful resin Typ IXC in this scale, http://www.tehnoart.eu/u-boot-ix-c-u-505-.html, in exactly the same configuration. Revell have admitted to me they have used this as a starting point for their kit, which is very similar into the beautiful details. Only one error from the Technoart kit was not copied: the door on the front of the conning tower was on the wrong side, Revell got that right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:41 am 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
Tehnoart from Russia

Latvia, actually!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:38 pm 

Crazy Jason Strikes Again! :heh:

I pulled the trigger and have a new IXC, Eduard PE and Oto's brass set coming to my model dungeon soon. I want to scratchbuild the pressure hull top and have a good idea what the base should look like after looking at pics of the U-534 but I'm having a hard time finding a layout for the induction pipes and so forth. Would it be safe to assume the area would look similar to a VII boat? Does anyone know of any good resources that might help? Thanks!

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:01 pm 

Are you planning on doing it the way you did your Gato? That would make me happy........

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:31 pm 

krgf15 wrote:
Are you planning on doing it the way you did your Gato? That would make me happy........

Yep :thumbs_up_1:

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next