The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:11 am 

i find it quite odd that there was no thread for this amphibious transport considering its being ubiquitous from World War 2 to even Vietnam- and the number of users of such class of ships; and the number of vets who may have served aboard such class of ships; oh well better late than never- so here are my LST Mk 2 kits:

A Lindberg LST i made years ago for a friend- representing an active Philippine Navy ship ( LT507- BRP Laguna)

There were a lot of variants of these class of LSTs like the standard with a single mast, some with tripod masts, an ARL ( repair ship) APB ( barracks ship) to name a few; these all served in the Philippine Navy which is my favorite subject, so there are a LOT of topics to do; but alas so it seems the lack of kits in 1/700 scale inhibits many from making such; but i managed to stash about enough to represent every kind of LST i want to build. Too bad the Skywave LST kit needs a lot of repairing to make it decent enough. Take a look:

the styrene gun tubs are what so far i have to revise from the standard LST kit; the other junked LST will be another topic...

hope the fans of this class of ships would post their works too, thanks !! :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:11 pm 

I see your models are resting on a set of plans. What plans are you working from?

Paul

http://paulbudzik.com/current-projects/Neptune/Lockheed_Neptune_Model_Budzik.html
http://paulbudzik.com/tools-techniques/outside_the_box.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 am 

pbudzik wrote:
I see your models are resting on a set of plans. What plans are you working from?

Paul

Hi Paul!

Just used plans of LST 983 i downloaded a long time ago from the web and line diagrams from the Squadron Signal Amphibious ships you can see in the background- the ship plans is a gem, very handy!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:55 am 

Thank you for starting this thread ! Wonderful stuff !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:06 am 

I visited LST 325 when it was undergoing restoration. I took photos of just about every part of the ship for documentation for my RC LST build. I would be happy to post photos on request.

Here's a sampling:

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:24 pm 

Hi Rob,

I'm not really interested (although I'd still examine them if you did post them) in your pictures, but I'm much more interested in your RC model of it!!!! Please, if you have the time and took/are taking pictures of your construction work, please post them in the RC/Scratchbuilding board, the more participants the more methods there are to learn! I'm especially interested in construction methods for RC amphibs, since those bring some particular "design issues" with them, I'd love to see how people solve those issues (before giving it a try myself).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:50 pm 

OK, I'll try to put something together for the RC Scratchbuilding board. The thing I don't want people to lose sight of, though, is that without the LST 325 crew taking pictures for me of the door and ramp hardware and explaining how it all worked, I never would have been able to build a working model. Therefore, my build story is going to feature photos of 1:1 LST hardware, as well as my 1:144 version.

If that sounds interesting, I'll put it together.

Fair enough?

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:11 pm 

Hi Rob,

Sounds very attractive!!! Pics of the real deal always liven things up in a build topic! It's yet another reason to follow the topic, certainly when rare and accurate pictures are there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:14 pm 

Rob Wood wrote:
OK, I'll try to put something together for the RC Scratchbuilding board. The thing I don't want people to lose sight of, though, is that without the LST 325 crew taking pictures for me of the door and ramp hardware and explaining how it all worked, I never would have been able to build a working model. Therefore, my build story is going to feature photos of 1:1 LST hardware, as well as my 1:144 version.

If that sounds interesting, I'll put it together.

Fair enough?

Rob

for LST fans like me its more than fair! Go for it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:17 pm 

Slightly off-topic but does anyone know where I can get a set of plans for the USS Benewah as she was in Vietnam.

She was APB-35 and based on a 542 class LST.

I am also looking for hull lines that can be blown up to 48th scale.

Any help apreciated

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:06 am 

sandy wrote:
Slightly off-topic but does anyone know where I can get a set of plans for the USS Benewah as she was in Vietnam.

She was APB-35 and based on a 542 class LST.

I am also looking for hull lines that can be blown up to 48th scale.

Any help apreciated

try emailing bruce the webmaster of the benewah website; got some plans from him- if you noticed thats a project of mine in the works.....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:46 pm 

Hi,

I am still trying to track down Benewah plans. Would you be willing to share yours?

All the best
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:43 pm 

sandy wrote:
Hi,

I am still trying to track down Benewah plans. Would you be willing to share yours?

All the best
Sandy

I got mine only from the website, here's the link for the blueprints:

http://www.ussbenewahwebsite.com/blueprints.htm

From that i downloaded the images and printed them.Maybe if you tried contacting the site owner he can share you better/higher resolution or more detailed plans.

HTH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:38 pm 

My Father served off Okinawa on an ARL, USS POSIDON, ARL 12, which was built on an LST hull. Just about 50 years ago I built him a model, nominally 1:98 of Aluminum, wood and Strathmore cardstock. It has held up well over a half century on the shelf! Not having plans I built it from his wartime photo album. I would like to execute a more sophisticated version if I can find some plans, executing the details from the photos.

Cheers: T

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:48 am 

LT38, Phil Navy circa 1960s, partly built...1/700 scale:

and the picture that inspired me to build it:

the corrected helideck:

the white helo is an off scale sea king kit in the spares box coverted to an S62...

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 4:40 pm 

Does anyone have or can provide a link or source for a loading diagram for carrying an LCT on the deck of an LST? I am at the point of deciding how to display my 1/125 mark 6 Lct conversion from the Lindbergh kit and thought that using the timber layout used on the LST deck would be different. Have several photos from Navsouce but looking for some plans or manuals that would provide info on timber sizes, layout etc. even kicking around the idea of building a section of the LST deck and chaining it down but that.might be going too far

Thanks in advance for any help!
David

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 am 

hello everyone, i am sharing my first built boat. i used the Lindberg LST model kit scale: 1/245.

this model is a philippine navy ship named BRP Northern Samar LT-510. the model was deeply modified with the use of other parts like the model kit Trumpeter HMS Dreadnought 1907 scale: 1/700 and other resources to construct the ship.

the original boat was named USS LST-1064, commissioned on March 12, 1945 and decommissioned August 21, 1946. later it was named USS Nansemond County / LST 1064 on July 1, 1955. it was transferred to Japan on April 1961 - renamed JDS Shiretoko (LST-4003), returned to USA in 1975 then transferred to the Philippines on September 24, 1976 and renamed as BRP (Barko ng Republika ng Pilipinas) Samar Del Norte (LT-510) and later BRP Northern Samar LT-510. fate is unknown.

i gave this today as a gift to my father who is one of the officers of who served the ship between 1982-1983.

thanks everyone for reading. cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:40 pm 

diverneil wrote:
hello everyone, i am sharing my first built boat. i used the Lindberg LST model kit scale: 1/245.

this model is a philippine navy ship named BRP Northern Samar LT-510. the model was deeply modified with the use of other parts like the model kit Trumpeter HMS Dreadnought 1907 scale: 1/700 and other resources to construct the ship.

the original boat was named USS LST-1064, commissioned on March 12, 1945 and decommissioned August 21, 1946. later it was named USS Nansemond County / LST 1064 on July 1, 1955. it was transferred to Japan on April 1961 - renamed JDS Shiretoko (LST-4003), returned to USA in 1975 then transferred to the Philippines on September 24, 1976 and renamed as BRP (Barko ng Republika ng Pilipinas) Samar Del Norte (LT-510) and later BRP Northern Samar LT-510. fate is unknown.

i gave this today as a gift to my father who is one of the officers of who served the ship between 1982-1983.

thanks everyone for reading. cheers!

I havent posted any PN ships for a looong time - this is a refresher! Bravo zulu Neil!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:49 am 

I just happened to see this thread and decided to post some pictures of something I have been working on. My dad served aboard the USS Midas ARB-5 in WW2. He was aboard the ship when it put to sea after its conversion to the ARB class till it sailed home after the war and put in the reserve fleet. I am modeling it and I am going to 3-d print it for my Grandson and Great Grandson so they can have something physically close to visualize it rather than a picture. One thing I will say right up front I never meant for it to be a down to the blueprint accurate as I don't have any blueprints to go by. I simply collected as many pictures of the Midas (thanks to members who pointed me in the right direction) as I could and the other ARBs so I could make something visually close. There are tons of things I will be changing before I print it. If you look at pictures of the ARB class closely the first ones varied some from one to the other. I based most of what you see on the deck the Oil barrels, welding tanks, doors open, and other stuff based on a clear picture of her when she was by Hampton Roads. Again, it's not totally accurate but I thought I would show kind of what it looks like. I am going to print it in 1/96 scale. Mainly because I spent way too much time with detail that wouldn't show up otherwise. Thanks for looking.

Attachments:
Midas_1_11-28-21.jpg
Midas_1_11-28-21.jpg [ 316.62 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]
Midas_3_11-28-21.jpg
Midas_3_11-28-21.jpg [ 382.15 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]
Midas_4_11-28-21.jpg
Midas_4_11-28-21.jpg [ 272.16 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]
Midas_5_11-28-21.jpg
Midas_5_11-28-21.jpg [ 320.62 KiB | Viewed 1877 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:42 am 

The ARB's were related to the early ARL's which were also converted from LST Hulls. Later versions were to my knowledge somewhat more elaborate conversion. I am currently constructing a model of my dad's ARL 12 USS Poseidon which you can see over in Scratchbuild projects I have the TFD 1:96 plans which I used as a reference for my 1:120 ship, from USS Sphinx postwar. My best resource is my dad's scrapbook for their involvement at Okinawa and return to the states. A lot of this suite of auxiliaries featured an A Frame Derrick on the port side, I believe some of the ARB's may have also featured this which I see you have included.

Good luck with your project! Tom