The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:51 pm 

The off-scale Pitroad Kamikawa Maru kit has a decal sheet with two sizes of syllabic symbols that are presumably the ship's name, and I was expecting them to read, left to right, as "wa-ka-mi-ka". However, when I look closely (they're in sort of "script" font that's less easy to read), I see four different symbols where I was expecting two to be the same for the two "ka" s. Anybody else notice this, know anything about this?

Thanks.

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:29 pm 

There are three forms of Japanese writing. Text as we typically see it is written in "Kanji" form. Writing as was seen on the sides of IJN DDs was in "Katakana" form". Based on what I see on the Hobbysearch Japan site, it may be that the decal lettering has been rendered in "Hiragana" form. I don't know why.

Last edited by Dan K on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:18 pm 
Dan K wrote:
There are three forms of Japanese writing. Text as we typically see it is written in "Kanji" form. Writing as was seen on the sides of IJN DDs was in "Katakana" form". Based on what I see on the Hobbysearch Japan site, it may be that the decal lettering has been rendered in "Hirigana" form. I don't know why.

Hi Dan. I'd have thought in any of the three forms that the symbol for "ka" would be repeated if the decal is actually for kamikawa. The decal symbols appear to be hiragana, but my imperfect reading of them (L to R) is ha-ra-ka-ze, which doesn't mean anything to me as far as Japanese ships go; and I'm not 100% sure that I'm reading them right. Those little hash marks between 1 and 2 o'clock that are common on hiragana symbos are so tiny...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:32 pm 

Dan,

The symbols appear to be hiragana. My best attempt at translating them gave me (L to R) ha-ra-ka-ze, though one or more of my symbol to syllable conversions may be off. I have a conversion chart for MS Mincho font that I used. The little hash marks at 1-2 o'clock are hard to count. Harakaze doesn't mean anything to me in terms of a Japanese merchant ship or seaplane carrier...

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:11 am 

If s.o. posts a link to the sheet I'll gladly take a look at it. Bearing in mind also that recent syllabic transcription is also a bit different to that era's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:05 pm 

Thanks Gernot. I have put the decals on the model, and I haven't found a picture online, so don't have anything to post. Sorry.
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:45 pm 

No worries, I could not find any decal sheet pictures on brief searches.
However, here is a nice build of the Kimikawa Maru (no name decals on this one) I came across:
http://oisofactory.web.fc2.com/kimikawamaru1941.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:47 pm 

Finally found the Pitroad HobbySearch page, with decal picture clearly showing decal sheet for JMSDF Harukaze (DD-101) instead of Kamikawa Maru.
Here the link to the image list page for the product:
http://www.1999.co.jp/image/10052663/10/0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:28 pm 

Gernot wrote:
Finally found the Pitroad HobbySearch page, with decal picture clearly showing decal sheet for JMSDF Harukaze (DD-101) instead of Kamikawa Maru.
Here the link to the image list page for the product:
http://www.1999.co.jp/image/10052663/10/0

Yes. That is the decal sheet that was in my Kamikawa Maru box. I almost converted the four symbols right (ra-ro-ru are pretty close in appearance; got the other three right). Any idea why decals for the Harukaze are included with the Kamikawa Maru kit?

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:49 pm 

Maybe that was their most economical way of including the flag?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:07 pm 

That is bizarre. Pit-Road must have dozens of IJN decal sheet variants with flags. Why they chose to include one from a JMSDF kit is beyond me. Since this showed up on the HobbySearch example as well, I'd assume it was across the board for the Kamikawa Maru kit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:45 pm 

Dan K wrote:
That is bizarre. Pit-Road must have dozens of IJN decal sheet variants with flags. Why they chose to include one from a JMSDF kit is beyond me. Since this showed up on the HobbySearch example as well, I'd assume it was across the board for the Kamikawa Maru kit.

Dan,
There were two decal sheets in one little bag, and the other one was full of decals for the float-planes. Therefore I'm pretty sure it's the one they wanted to put in the Kamikawa Maru box and not an assembly line oops. This kit is getting harder to find in hobby stores (not counting ebay, amazon,..) now that the newer version kit is out (as it should be given the scaling issues).

I built it as a merchant ship rather than as a seaplane carrier.

Dave