The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:23 am 

Since I got to know this ship from a TV documentary a decade ago, I have been fascinated by the tale surrounding this ill-fated navy collier,her unforgetable silhouette along with the fact that two of her sisters(USS Proteus and USS Nereus) all met the same fate and at the same place. Speculations as to how and why they vanished are still sparked to this day.
This year happens to be the centennial year for the USS Cyclops incident, so I though it'll be quite proper to initiate my long-desired plan to construct a 350 scale model of her. I have experiencing a lot of difficulties in aquiring her plans due to the scarceness of her archives and a general lack of interest in her of the public. I have been writing to National Archives, Naval Historical Command and a bunch of other relating organizations but still havent heared any promising responses yet.
I do hope that there is other ones who shares my interest in her and can offer any kind of assistance

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:19 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Я могу отправить вам планы USS Jupiter по электронной почте.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:04 pm 

I believe Barrash's book includes plans, but at $152 it pretty pricey. I've been watching this for the past year (and would love to have it) but have never seen it on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0788451863/?c ... _lig_dp_it

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:42 pm 

reigels wrote:
I believe Barrash's book includes plans, but at $152 it pretty pricey. I've been watching this for the past year (and would love to have it) but have never seen it on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0788451863/?c ... _lig_dp_it

I've seen Barrash promoting his book on several online newspages including NUMA main site. Well, it do seems that the book is still unavailable,at least on Amazon. But anyway, thanks for your kind assistance :big_grin: :big_grin: I am also interested in this book.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:23 pm 

I just got the response from National Archives Reference Sec. It turns out that they too,did not get any luck in finding blueprints or plans of her. However,National Archives do keep a decent amount of original navy inquiry files, Bureau of Naval Personnel files along with other texual files. But I felt it nessesary to express my deep appreciation to National Archives' dedicated efforts in helping me.

"In Record Group 45, Naval Records Collection of the Office of the Naval Records and Library, under Entry 520, Navy Subject Files 1911-1927, Sub Entry, U.S. Navy Vessels, we located records in Boxes 1079-1080. These records were located Stack Area 11W4, Row 17, Compartment 4, and on Shelf 1. These records have some newspaper articles and pictures of the vessel, but no blueprints. "

National Archives has pointed out that I could try inquiring at the Naval Heritage Command, Problem is,I have already contacted Naval Heritage Ccmmand along with Naval Historical Foundation a few month ago and still havent heared anything promising yet,its quite frustrating.

Well, As I considered, right now, the possibility of finding her original plans has diminished to the point equivalant to finding the actual ship on the Atlantic seabed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:28 am 

DavidP wrote:
how about general arrangement drawings of USS Jupiter about 1914 as I have a 9.96mb pdf file of her.

David, That would be quite helpful :big_grin: Jupiter shares a almost identical hull, cargohold and superstructure disign with all her sisters, with her coaling gears being the only exception,which is different from the one used on Cyclops. She was using a lattice shaped Mead-Morrison coaling gear. While Jupiter,along with Orion, Jason and Neptune were using a coaling gear called Lidgerwood marine trasfer system, with the "A" shaped operating towers between the holds being the most prominent feature.