The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:24 pm 

Well after a nice day at sea i thought i might post some pics. We did have a little problem thought!!!!

Well there she is a very awsome ship to look at!!!

Pulling outa port with the aid of a tug.

Another pic of us in port. there was no ship fire so just ignore the fireboat!!

here we go steaming on our own power out to sea.

An vet. tells us about the 3in gun that he manned on a Victoy.

All of the sudden we made a very sharp turn and the captain informed us that they had cought a SPY!!! :lol_3: BUT he radio our possition the the LUFTWAFFER!!!

THEN A GERMAN FW-190 (just go with me here) began to strafe us!!! but out AA gun kicked in and seemed to hit one of them!!!

Then some U.S. flyboys showed up and showed those germans not to mess with us!!!

Then the U.S.C.G. showed up to off load out German spy.

Back at Port the fire boat gave us a little show!!

ENJOY,
REID :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:36 am 

The model from L'Arsenal, with the set from GMM, a lot of modifications and scratch.
Kind regards
Sebastien Lausdat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:10 pm 

I am building the Pitroad 1/700 USS Bootes, a naval conversion of Liberty Ship. The kit has nice details except a neglectable shape problem as pointed out in the kit review of this site.

Here comes my question concerning the bridge which might be a bit silly. At the back of the main bridge of the kit, there are two ziggurat shaped stairscases molded as shown in the picture below. It seems quite funny to me because the staircases do not lead to any doors or horizontal surface. I wonder what were actually there but I cannot find any clue...

This may be related to the above. As inspired by the Trumpeter 1/350 Liberty Ship kit, the shape of the back of the bridge is quite different from my kit here. It is stepped with an platform an the 3rd level. (http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/misc/ak/350-liberty-tr/liberty_ship.html) Was this just a difference due to conversion by the navy, as I notice from a picture of USS Lyra (AK-101, as it 's got the most clear photos in navource and I perceive that Lyra should be more or less identical to Bootes) which the bridge shape seemed more resemble to the Pitroad one?

Image link removed by Tracy White; Navsource doesn't allow embedding images in other sites. To see the picture in question go to Navsource's AK-101 Lyra page and look for "Navy Yard Mare Island photo # 5441-43, 7/28/43"

Another quesiton from the above picture. In front of the bridge there are two doors and a wide staricase but they did not seem to be attached to the bridge, what were actually these items?

Thanks.

Post subject: Liberty Ship Photos
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:56 pm 

I'm having a tough time finding WWII era photos online showing any details or differences between various Liberty Ships. Can anyone point me in the right direction if photos are out there?

Plenty of modern pics but not much that's clear or useful from a modeling perspective from WWII.

Project is the Tom's Modelworks kit in 1:700. If anyone is aware of any deficiencies in the kit, please feel free to speak up as well. :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:46 pm 

What's the difference in these 2 ships?

S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien

S.S. John W. Brown

The John W.Brown retails for more, has 1 extra sprue , but shares the same hull. Is the John W. Brown a retooled/corrected Liberty Ship compared to a lesser quality Jeremiah O'Brien? Or just 2 different variants?

I honestly can't see the difference when looking at completed models or looking at the box art.

TIA,
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:37 am 

Same tool, extra parts to do a different ship in a slightly different configuration.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:30 am 

Does anyone have any pictures showing the deck cargo of a Liberty ship ? (progress in pictures section)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:35 am 

You're referring to the main deck loaded down with cargo? That really varied; I would imagine that as much as possible they would stow things inside to protect it from the elements, but that larger items such as the ever popular planes and trucks would be on the deck. I've got some photos of a PT boat on a Liberty but that's it for me.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:09 am 

OK, after some browsing on the net I've found this :

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... s%26sa%3DN

Last edited by OneThreeFifty on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:14 am 

Went to visit SS Red Oak Victory AK-235 in Richmond, CA last weekend. Took about 600 photos of all of the parts of the ship.

http://svsm.org/gallery/RedOakVictory

Vladimir

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:31 am 

Has anyone picked one of these up? I am planning a build of a Liberty Ship my father served on, and I am undecided between Gold Medal Models' PE set or the L'Arsenal set, which appears to include resin replacement parts. Can anyone shed light on the L'Arsenal set?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:29 pm 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

jgrease wrote:
Has anyone picked one of these up? I am planning a build of a Liberty Ship my father served on, and I am undecided between Gold Medal Models' PE set or the L'Arsenal set, which appears to include resin replacement parts. Can anyone shed light on the L'Arsenal set?

follow the link to get a picture of L'Arsenal 1/350 Liberty ship conversion set

http://www.larsenal.com/Source/catalogu ... 350_02.jpg

hope this helps

cheers

Gilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:54 am 

I am planning to build a Liberty ship that my uncle served on for several years. Can soneone recommend a source of lettering that can be used for the ships name and home port?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:16 am 

You could print the letters onto clear decal paper and overcoat it, or you could get a lettering set from Microscale - they come in different fonts and sizes and colors. Which one are you planning on modeling? I'm building mine as SS Edmund Fanning, although I have been unable to this date to find any pictures of that one ship. Good luck on your build -please post pics!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:42 am 

What colors should be used for the hull and decks of a typical Liberty ship during in the 1943-1944 period? WEM color numbers would be helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:36 am 

Does anyone have drawings (or a link) showing the hull openings for water intakes/outlets and any below the water line openings for Liberty ships?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:44 am 

Sebastien,

What did you use for the screening on the ventilators of the Liberty ship you have posted here?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:37 am 

I am in the early planning stages of a simple diorama of a Liberty Ship loading (or off loading) at a fairly plain dock. What would be the average size of crated material and material on pallets that would have been carried in Liberty ships? Are there any aftermarket accessories available for these types of loads in 1/350th scale?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:18 pm 

Does anyone have information about the dimensions of the holds on the Liberty ships? I have found info on the cubic foot capacities, but no dimensions. Looking at some profiles, they make it appear the the holds dimension fore-to-aft are almost the same as the cargo hold hatches, but that doesn't match the capacities. For example, hold #2 has a capacity of 134,638 cu. ft. With a maximum beam of 56' and a depth of 37', that hold #2 would need to have a fore-to-aft dimension of around 67' (hatch is 34' 10").

Any help with the hold dimnesions would be appricated. Being in southwestern Illinois, I can't just run out to Baltimore (John W. Brown) or San Francisco (Jeremiah O'Brien) and make some measurements.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:32 pm 

Started work today on the new 1:700 Jeremiah O'Brien by Trumpeter and I have to say I'm pleased with the kit.

Nice quality moldings with fine details, and a pretty high part count for the subject matter. I especially like the cargo winches which although molded to the deck are pretty well detailed. Fit of the main deck house is very good and I haven't run into any major problems.

One item worth correcting are the deck hatches, which have very exaggerated cross-straps, looking like timbers rather than steel straps. I took them off with a chisel blade and some 400 grit in about 20 minutes. PE straps from the 1:700 Liberty set from Tom's look like they'll fit just fine.

The deck with bulwarks attached sits on top of the lower hull (full hull is also an option) and will require wet sanding at minimum to clean up the seam. I just bondo'd the sides a few minutes ago to ensure it's 100% gone, but I like putty and wet sanding and it's probably not necessary.

The kit represents Jeremiah O'Brien as she is now, and has several of the same flaws as the 350 kit such as the miss-matched fore and aft emergency floats, port holes that are too low, and a few other minor issues. Painting recommendations are not correct for WWII era, but decals are included and should be workable.

The kit is a great improvement over the Pit-Road Liberty Ships and is recommended. Now to select some deck cargo...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 265 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next