The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Calling All LCF Fans
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:08 pm 

I'm researching USN LCFs (Landing Craft Flak) used at D-Day. I've collected dozens of photos and articles concerning LCFs but they are mostly Royal Navy and I'm looking for U.S. Navy used specifically during the Normandy Invasion. I've completed multiple Google searches and keep seeing the same photos. Can anyone direct me to any references including photos, line drawings, markings, etc.?

I'm preparing to build a model of LCF-31 that my great uncle lost his life on during D-Day. LCF-31 was sunk either by a mine or was hit by German artillery. Both were reported.

I'm most likely converting the Lindberg 1/125 scale LCT to a LCF. Thanks all!
Bobby

Post subject: Re: Calling All LCF Fans
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:26 pm 

Bobby,
I went through my book collection and found this photo of a sister ship, LCF-32, in the book "D-Day Ships", by Yves Buffetaut. The 32 is shown as a conversion of a British LCT Mark 4. The same book shows that a Mark 4 was 187'-3" long with a 38'-9"beam. I don't have an unbuilt Lindberg LCT/LCU kit to measure, but roughly measuring my LCT (Mk. 6) that I converted from the Lindberg kit, it looks like the Lindberg kit is 130.9' long and a beam of 36.9' in 1/125 scale. You'd be pretty close on the beam, but would have to splice about 5.5" from another hull to make the longer Mark 4. (Shouldn't be a big issue-I cut 3/4" of an inch out of mine to shorten it). I think that you can find some LCT Mark 4 plans on Google to get a start, but don't know if you'll be able to find much in the way of plans for the LCF. I think that I read somewhere that they decked over the well (or tank) deck and used it for ammo storage and that they welded the bow ramp shut.

Good luck on your project and happy hunting!
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:39 pm 

You know, now that I have clicked on DavidP's links again, the 32 is shown on those pages as well and it doesn't look nearly as long as the other British LCT designs. The Mark 3 was 190'-9" long, so just 3'-6" longer than a Mark 4. Maybe that was a conversion from a Mark 5 after all-would also explain why it would have gone back to the US Navy as well (reverse lend-lease).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:17 am 

A fascinating subject! What is painted on the 20mm gun shields?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:54 pm 
Thanks Dave for all the info! The more I research the more I'm thinking the USN LCFs used at Normandy were Mk3s. I'm not familiar yet the differences between the Mk3, Mk4, and Mk5s so I've got more research to do. I have dozens of photos and line drawings of LCFs and I would like to post here to help with the discussion, but I'm trying to figure out how to post photos. I've read the "How To" but just have to try it. Thanks again. To InchHigh, I've studied the markings you referred to but I do not know what they are. Thanks.
Bobby

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:55 pm 

Feels like I finally made some progress in my LCF-31 research as well as just getting more detailed information about LCFs from WWII and especially the LCFs used at Normandy on D-Day. There is not a lot of information about these ships on-line and not a lot of photos either. However, the following is what I've been able learn:

At Utah Beach four LCFs were used: LCF-18 (MkIII), LCF-22, 27, and 31 (All MkIVs.) The following attachment is from the Combined Ops web page showing the Admiralty's "Green List":
Attachment:
LCF-31 #31 - Copy.jpg
LCF-31 #31 - Copy.jpg [ 202.2 KiB | Viewed 4039 times ]

At Omaha Beach seven LCFs (all MkIIIs) were used:
Attachment:
LCF-31 #35 - Copy.jpg
LCF-31 #35 - Copy.jpg [ 167.8 KiB | Viewed 4037 times ]

The following LCF info was found from the ONI 226-Allied Landing Craft and Ship Publication:
Attachment:
LCF-3 Description.jpg
LCF-3 Description.jpg [ 132.45 KiB | Viewed 4039 times ]

I found the following line drawing of an LCF(MkIV) on-line:
Attachment:
LCF-31 #8 800 Pixels.jpg
LCF-31 #8 800 Pixels.jpg [ 223.52 KiB | Viewed 4039 times ]

The following photos are of LCF MkIIIs. As you can see, there are a lot of differences between MkIIIs and MkIVs:
Attachment:
LCF-31 #15 800 Pixels.jpg
LCF-31 #15 800 Pixels.jpg [ 82.62 KiB | Viewed 4039 times ]

The following photo is of LCF-18 (MkIII) that participated in the Utah Beach Landings:
Attachment:
LCF-31 #30.jpg
LCF-31 #30.jpg [ 5.94 KiB | Viewed 4039 times ]

As for modeling LCF-31 (or any LCF MkIV) I've decided to build it using the Lindberg 1/125 scale LCT. I have two kits that I'll use to make one LCF. In 1/125 scale the hull length is approximately 18" so I'll have to cut 6" from one kit and add to the second kit. Another option is to scratch build using Evergreen sheet. The plans do not look too complicated and there is not too many bends that I would have to make. I'm just going to have to do a lot of testing fitting the Lindberg kits and decide whether to use them or jut go the scratch build option. I found plenty of aftermarket parts I can use including all the armament and other details from Shapeways/Model Monkey.

Another big issue is determining the paint scheme for LCF-31 used at Normandy. I have not been able to find any information whatsoever. I know the U.S. Navy received their LCFs back from the Royal Navy prior to D-Day so they may have been in RN Camo? ANY help with possible paint scheme would be GREATLY appreciated. The following photos show LCF-31s sister ships LCF-30 & 32:
Attachment:
LCF-31 #38.jpg
LCF-31 #38.jpg [ 148.57 KiB | Viewed 4039 times ]

Attachment:
LCF-31 #34 800 Pixels.jpg
LCF-31 #34 800 Pixels.jpg [ 77.78 KiB | Viewed 4039 times ]

Final note:
Concerning LCF-31, I found a bit of interesting information in a U.S. Navy "After Action" report. The report stated that the cause of sinking was "undetermined" but "most likely" LCF-31 hit a mine. However, in a Coast Guard report, eyewitnesses reported seeing German shells hitting LCF-31. I found a newspaper article (Traverse City Record-Eagle) where a survivor of LCF-31 was interviewed for a Veteran's Day piece. The survivor's name was Larry Lampton. Mr. Lampton stated just before being hit he heard yells of "Shell bursts off starboard bow!" and next "Shell bursts off port bow!" Next thing he was knocked semi-unconscious. He was barely able to crawl off the ship before it sank. The next thing he remembered was being picked up by a Coast Guard ship. Great story about a great man! I read another article stating that since no German aircraft were spotted in the area at the time, the LCF crews trained their guns on German positions on the beach.

I suppose it doesn't matter what caused the LCF-31 to sink, only that the ship and brave crew were doing their jobs!

Hope this post helps anyone interested in LCFs. I'll continue to update with any info.
Bobby

Attachments:
LCF-31 #31 - Copy.jpg
LCF-31 #31 - Copy.jpg [ 202.2 KiB | Viewed 4039 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:37 am 

Thanks for the response DavidP. I agree with the scratch build route. After looking at the Lindberg LCT kit, I think I'll be ahead of he game by scratch building the hull and most everything else. There are a few parts I might can use from the kit. Looks like I'll be keeping Evergreen and Model Monkey in business for a while.

Any idea about paint scheme?

Thanks.
Bobby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:11 pm 

I have the 1/76sc LCF from Accurate Armour from the UK. I don't know if they are still selling them. Every time I start to assemble it I get "off put" & back into the box it goes.
I have that blueprint that was posted & my plan was to scratch it , before I bought the "kit".
Good Luck!
John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:49 am 

Thanks John. The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards scratch building. I may even drop down to 1/144 scale to lessen the amount of space for placing in my display case when finished. I'm going to build it water-line and place it on a ocean base. It may be a while before I begin due to collecting detail parts like the 20mm Oerlikons and 40mm Bofors as well as other detail parts.

Any help with paint scheme would be greatly appreciated as I've been unable to pin down the scheme used on D-Day.

Thanks again.
Bobby

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:24 pm 

The Accurate Armour instructions specify painting instructions for LCF 32 reported to be targeted for Sword beach, color coded Green (stripe) across bridge & upper stack then white above that (on the stack). It lines up with the green slash across the bridge upper. Juno beach would be red, blue for Gold beach.
The boats were painted overall white with a light blue slashes shaped different on both sides. Raven specifies B30 (i have the old WEM B30). I would use B15 for the decks. Accurate Armour calls for Humbrol 65 blue slashes I think they look more like a deeper Blue in the film clips i've viewed.
Dark Gray decks, Humbrol 32, or 79.
I believe the posted photo is LCF 32 with the large Id number painted out.
Good Luck! I'm headed south for a couple of weeks, so no internet.
John

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:28 pm 

Thanks again John. The colors you gave me is what I've been thinking. I just didn't know if the USN changed the color scheme once they received the LCFs from the RN. Have fun down south.
Bobby