The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Titanic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 pm 

Steve Larsen wrote:
OK, just guessing, but I think the Entex "Late Great Titanic" came out about 1976. GREAT model.

Other truly wonderful kits of about the same time:
Entex's 1/350 "Late Great Lusitania"
Unknown maker, 1/400 "Queen Elizabeth 2"
Testors' monstrous vac kit "Graf Zeppelin"
Monogram's 1/48 B-17G, 1/72 B-52D and B-24J

I have very fond memories of those days.

I remember the Entex Titanic it came out in september of 1974 the price listed for $19.95 came with a pre- painted terra Cotta water line. she was a shock to the modeling world the first plastic injection mold kit of its type ever produced in my life time i built 14 of these still have the first release in my model stache,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:17 pm 

Slightly OT: Went to see Titanic: The Artifact Exhibit in NYC this past Friday at Discovery NYC. There were parts as small as coins and a perfume bottle to pieces as large as a part from the engine room and one boat davit. Very subdued, very well done. It's a traveling exhibit (it closed in NYC this coming Sunday), if it comes to your town, it's worth checking out.

To keep it OnT: I might get the 1/700 kit and build it with my 9 year old, who came with us. It will certainly be "good enough" for him (especially if I don't have to paint it!). If I decide to get serious and do a 1/350 Titanic - what is the best kit out there now? I had the Entex kit as well (never built it) - I think I paid the then astronomical sum of $50 back in 1991 at Rosemont Hobbies in the Allentown PA area.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:46 pm 

Hi Guys,
I had the HP models 1/700 resin w/l Titanic kit. I wish I'd have kept it; even though a self proclaimed Titanic expert said it had some flaws. I liked it! The Academy 1//700 kit looked nice to me, but I guess it has some problems too. What I like about Titanic in 1/700 is getting the chance to set it alongside some 1/700 scale warships; on the same tabletop!
I guess that the Entex > Academy 1/350 Titanic can still be considered in the running for most accurate kit of Titanic. I do wonder what changes were made to the Entex Titanic to make Academy's offering the best. The Academy kits' instruction sheet goes on about the numerous changes made to Entex's kit, and that GMM's hand was in it too. The 1/400 Academy Titanic is pretty darn nice too; definitely better than the Revell kit. Bless Revell just the same.
Build on!
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 pm 
Toms Modelworks
Toms Modelworks

Just finishing up two sets for rails and details for the 1/700 Academy Titanic kit. It's not a bad little kit and it couldn't hurt to dress it up a little! Should be available in a couple of weeks.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:58 am 

Group;

I'm working on a very simple card model the wife picked up for me at Barns & Nobel ("Build The Titanic"). Its about two feet long and will make a nice simple peice in the office. I just want to bring more life to her. I'm looking for the location of deck ventelators on the ship. I'm fine with scratch building and I'm adding my own upgrades to the kit from my spare parts box. Just need to know the location of the vents.

Any help would be great.

PS; I don't want to drop money into this kit for a set of plans. Its a very simple kit more for enjoyment and a break from other large scratch build projects I have going on.

Thanks
Sam

SERE Inst 89-95

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:00 pm 

Hi Guys,
Hi Sam,
Have you scoured the i-net for Titanic drawings yet? I'd be willing to bet that you'll have deck plans in the time it would take you to type, "rumplestiltskin".
I mean to encourage you to do so, as I can't imagine your time would end up fruitless.
On the 15th, I spent 6 hours watching History Channel specials. Very interesting!
Just say, "Titanic",and most people will sit up and take notice.
Regards, Tony

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:29 pm 

I'm in the very first stages of building the Academy/Minicraft 1/350 kit. With the entire ensemble of Tom's PE sets (all 6 sheets) I'm hoping to make something to sit on my mantle.

If anyone's interested I can post up in progress pics as I go or post in the gallery when it's done.

Post subject: R.M.S. Titanic 1:700
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:28 am 

Question: What R.M.S. Titanic kit in scale 1/700 is to recommend?

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:30 am 

Quote:
If anyone's interested I can post up in progress pics as I go or post in the gallery when it's done.

I'd like to see in progress pictures. I know it's a lot of work, but if it wouldn't be too much trouble you could write a build blog. I know there would be people like me that would follow it.
Then once you're done post your finished on the gallery.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:27 pm 

Hi Guys,
geedog,
If you start a build blog, you'll be encouraged to do it under the, "Picture Post" > "works in progress", forum. Yes, I too would encourage you to start a build blog; especialy if you desire to. You'll get a fair amount of feedback, and some useful ancedotes from time to time; expeically when you get to a certain progress point where you are challenged and there is an easier softer way to do something. I used to post build blogs on the CASF forum on purpose, but finally I came to terms with the reasoing. The CASF forums are for enthusiasts of the real ships; a place to post real life images and factoids; including historic information. I've posted likewise information on the CASF forums related to models of the real ships; noone had an issue with that. Additionally, I've posted links to my build blog of a certain type of ship on that particular ships CASF forum.
Ken53,
I've seen the first 1/700 Academy Titanic kit and was turned off when a number of, "resident experts", on the website, "The debris field", turning me off on that kit. I had the HP Models 1/700 resin w/l kit of Titanic and liked it, but ended up selling it. I am owed another of this kit, but don't know if I'll actually get it ever. Within the last 6 months, I purchased the new 1/700 Titanic from Academy using the molded in color parts and it had a separate, nicely fitting separate hull bottom; molded in that Terra-Cotta reddish-brown color. I was impressed with this particular kit, and costing less than $40, its a deal. I would recommend buying the newest 100th Anniversary kit of Titanic from Academy. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I spent some time comparing this new kit with photos of the Titanic and the areas studied compared well between the kit and the pics. Your search is over.
Buidl on!
Take care guys, Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 pm 

There is also the newly released new-tool 1/700 kit from Revell - haven't seen any direct comparisons between it and the new Academy one, though. But I think both would be good!

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:43 pm 

Good job geedog :)
In my shipyard there is a Titanic too,but in 1/100 scale,for now it's only a wood backbone with some ribs attached,i have to put it on hold for a month due for university and for the Nichimo Yamato...by the way,i love this transatlantic liner :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:16 am 
Stumbled on this modelship clip from an old German silent film. They claim it's based on a german oceanliner (called "Grossherzogin Victoria" - possibly spelled wrongly) But it sure looks like Titanic to me.
What do you think?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NoF3RfWSBs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:12 am 

Titanic's funnels are evenly-spaced, not separated into fire and aft halves like the model in the video - so whatever it is, it's not a straight copy of the Titanic!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:20 pm 

I have never heard of a "Grossherzogin Victoria", and I don't think I'll ever do. I have not found any ship with such a name on any books I have and I'm POSITIVE no four-stack ship was ever named "Grossherzogin Victoria".

I do think the ship is a portmanteau of several german four-stackers, the only ones which had those very distinctive paired up funnels. Plus the Olympic.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:52 am 
Regia Marina
Regia Marina

Ciao,

The my next work will OLYMPIC during the WAR, and I want to realize with this camouflage.
The kit 1/700 Olympic Revell and the Pe Tom's Modelworks and
the colors of camouflage from the drawing are:
black, gray, white, light blue and blue ?

Thanks
Giampiero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:15 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

RMS Titanic fans! Accurately sized, shaped and detailed 1/350 scale and 1/400 scale cranes and cylindrical crane pedestals for RMS Titanic, RMS Olympic, HMHS Britannic and RMS Lusitania have been added to the catalog. The cranes and their supporting pedestals are very conspicuous features of the ships and the model.

The 1/350 scale sets are intended as direct replacements for the inaccurately sized and detailed Minicraft/Entex/Revell 1/350 scale kit's parts. The 1/400 scale sets are intended for Academy, Airfix, and Doyusha.

Features:
- carefully scaled and detailed from drawings based on Harland and Wolf plans as well as photographs of cranes on RMS Titanic and RMS Olympic
- accurately shaped
- accurately shaped and positioned equipment lockers
- accurately sized, shaped and positioned rivet and bolt details. Bolts randomly turned for added realism
- operator platform intentionally designed thicker than scale in order to be 3D-printable, all other features designed to-scale
- perfectly matched for 3D-printed cylindrical crane equipment handling rooms (aka "pedestals") available separately
- each pedestal has unique details - number of doors, door positions, and hinge locations are correct for each pedestal
- pedestals marked for port (P) and starboard (S) on the sprue and oriented on the sprue as they should be on your model
- pedestals marked for location: forward well deck (“Bow”), aft A Deck promenade (“A Deck”), aft well deck (“Aft Well”), poop deck (“Poop”)
- perfectly matched to 3D-printed cranes

Attachment:
Stothert and Pitt 2.5 ton Crane.comment 2.small.jpg
Stothert and Pitt 2.5 ton Crane.comment 2.small.jpg [ 367.1 KiB | Viewed 3935 times ]

Attachment:
Model Monkey 1-350 Titanic and Lusitania Cranes c.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Titanic and Lusitania Cranes c.jpg [ 160.9 KiB | Viewed 2203 times ]

Attachment:
Model Monkey 1-350 Titanic and Lusitania Cranes d.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Titanic and Lusitania Cranes d.jpg [ 130.84 KiB | Viewed 2203 times ]

Attachment:
Model Monkey 1-350 Titanic and Lusitania Cranes b.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Titanic and Lusitania Cranes b.jpg [ 121.02 KiB | Viewed 2203 times ]

Attachment:
Stothert and Pitt 2.5 ton Crane.comment.jpg
Stothert and Pitt 2.5 ton Crane.comment.jpg [ 422.13 KiB | Viewed 3935 times ]

Attachment:
Model Monkey 1-350 Titanic Crane Pedestals b.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Titanic Crane Pedestals b.jpg [ 151.2 KiB | Viewed 2203 times ]

Attachment:
Model Monkey 1-350 Titanic Crane Pedestals a.jpg
Model Monkey 1-350 Titanic Crane Pedestals a.jpg [ 130.74 KiB | Viewed 2203 times ]

Attachments:
lusitania_a_comment small.jpg
lusitania_a_comment small.jpg [ 251.55 KiB | Viewed 2201 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
 Post subject: MAJOR Discovery!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:28 am 

An ACTUAL PHOTO from Britannic's sinking has been FOUND!!! It was apparently taken from a rescue ship, showing bubbles and smoke still rising from Britannic's grave.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:11 pm 

Would anyone here be interested in seeing The new Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic?

Attachments:
IMG_00792.jpg
IMG_00792.jpg [ 108.14 KiB | Viewed 2057 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:06 pm 

Does a bear ... no wait,

I'd say do a review in the reviews section and then link to it here.... sort of a "a place for everything and everything in its place" thing.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next