The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:26 pm 
As subject more or less.

Looking to honor a gent who served about the Cimarron and seeking a scale model of her. Thinking 1/350 or therabouts. Big enough for display but not a large museum piece or such.

Have been searching google for a bit and not coming up with much luck as of yet.

If others have better ideas of ways to honor this gent while tieing in to his fondly-remembered time aboard I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Kind thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:47 pm 

I know very little about oilers - other than they carry fuel.

Iron Shipwrights makes a T2 Oiler in 1/350: http://ironshipwrights.com/pages/T2.html

Again, no clue if that's close to what you are looking for, or can be easily converted.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:50 am 

I think the Lindberg kit of the Kennebec class comes closest to what a Cimarron looks like: https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/lindberg-hl438-tanker--1021280. But the scale is apparenty 1:500 - 1:525, so rather smaller than what you are looking for.
Converting a T2 might be feasible, but note the Cimarrons have marked sheer, whilst the T2 has none. That is an immediate giveaway between the two types.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:27 pm 

Its a 1/700 resin kit if its still available...
T2

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:18 pm 

Pit-Road made a resin AO-22 and AO-23 in 1/700 a long time ago. Might be able to hunt one down on the second-hand market, but otherwise...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:50 am 

DavidP wrote:
Maarten, it would be 1/501.5 scale as it is 12" long. the giveaway is the twin props for a Cimarron class tanker compared to a single prop for the other classes. the curve to the top of the Cimarron hull can be added to a T2 hull if kitbashing a T2 into a T3 tanker.

Hi David, yes you are right if the quoted 12" is as exact as it is stated! :big_grin:

Your note about the twin props is correct- but those are not often in view, as with most ships. Another giveaway is the curved stem (bow), whilst the T2s all have a straight stem.

Just some note how complex the topic of 'oilers' really is: http://drawings.usmaritimecommission.de/drawings_tanker.htm. The sheer in the T3-S2-A1 class is obvious in these side views, that's why I mentioned it as the key giveaway.

There is much more to it than just T2 or T3. And having said the Cimarron class having twin screws, doesn't mean all T3s have twin screws... there are single screw T3s as well, look for yourself. The 'S2' in the nomenclature indicated the twin screws, whilst the single screw ships have just 'S'.