The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:11 pm 

Hi,

Has anyone who has built the Hobby Boss 1/700 Wasp class LHD kits found an issue with the missing padeyes? Are them even on the kits?

The missing padeyes were supposedly the issue on Revell's 1/700 Wasp class kits, as mentioned in reviews like this one quoted below.

Quote:
Modern carrier decks are covered in ‘Padeyes’, circular sunken tie down points. Now these are quite a feature of any model carrier deck be them either moulded into the deck or as decal sheets. The Kearsarge deck has none of these and some would argue that they should be there. I am not sure how prominent these would be at 1:700 scale but I bet that the kit will come under criticism for leaving them off.

(...END EXCERPT)

Just wondering if Hobby Boss made improvements, though the padeyes are not even mentioned in reviews of their LHD kits I've found so far.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by Haijun watcher on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:43 pm 

David S's build of the Hobby Boss kit should answer that: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... /index.htm

Also barely visible in the low-rez photo on HB's website: http://www.hobbyboss.com/Uploads/201506 ... d83004.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:07 am 

Some photos of USS Wasp (LHD-1) and USS Kearsarge (LHD-3) made in June in Norfolk:

http://www.modellmarine.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4926:landungstraeger-uss-wasp-und-uss-kearsarge-in-norfolk&catid=271:aktive-schiffe
(click "Link zur Bildergalerie" to see the photos)

Examples:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:53 pm 

looks like the ciws is angled to takeout that seagull above it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:27 am 

I was wondering if anyone can confirm the work on the height of the finished 1/350 LHD-1 (Gallery Models)? My math based on ratios off the kit's "plans" (painting guide) and the known length gets me to almost dead on 8" from the bottom of the hull to the top of the tallest radar mass. If anyone has a built kit or more accurate plans, could you confirm my work? I'm getting ready to order a display case for this and want to make sure I'm accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:03 am 

Can anyone here please advise me of the naming and order of levels of the decks for the Tarawa class? Obviously the top deck (level 01?) is the flight deck but how are they named/numbered from the next one down and so forth to the keel? Is there a cross-section diagram to illustrate this?

I am currently building a waterline level model of the Tarawa class but don't know which level the waterline is at.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:34 pm 

go thru this link. https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch&q ... 1614748205

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:45 pm 

Tarawa, not Wasp/America class.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:38 am 

DavidP wrote:

Not much help as it says I need a subscription, at $20 per month I cannot afford that.

The info I am referring to is the name and height of each deck level. I think I've seen something about that on fixed-wing carriers, with references to Level 01, 02, Hangar deck and Platform etc., but I don't know if this is the case for the Tarawa class. If it is then I would like to know the naming/numbering sequence, from the keel up to the top of the island structure please.

I'm used to British ships and they have a much simpler convention, working downwards from FD to double bottom is 1 deck, 2 deck, 3 etc., and from FD up to top of Island is 01 deck, 02 deck and so forth.

I do hope somebody can help with this please.

Mike

Edit: The reason for my request is that I have resurrected my old 1:144 scale project which had stalled due to the lack of this info. As can be seen in the photo below (showing the dock at the back and hangar area in front) I have been unable to build the remaining decks as I don't know how many there are, what they are called or how high each deck level is.

Post subject: 1/350 Iwo Jima Options
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:14 pm 

Hi All

I'm getting the 1/350 Trumpeter [Gallery] Iwo Jima soon and I was wondering what other members of the class can easily be made from this kit? can you do the Bataan or Bonhomme Richard from it? I do understand doing the MArkin Island would require significant rework.

Last edited by Timmy C on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 pm 

In a nutshell. The USS Wasp LHD-1 kit will do LHD-1 through LHD-4. The USS Iwo Jima LHD-7 kit will do LHD-5 through LHD-7. The differences are mostly to do with the weapons layout on the front of the island. And the island windows on 1-4 are more square, where they are rectangle on 5-7.... You can do a LHD-8 with the LHD-7 kit. The biggest difference in that LHD-8 has canted stacks...

Hope my info helps

Thomas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:30 pm 

wvtomcat65 wrote:
In a nutshell. The USS Wasp LHD-1 kit will do LHD-1 through LHD-4. The USS Iwo Jima LHD-7 kit will do LHD-5 through LHD-7. The differences are mostly to do with the weapons layout on the front of the island. And the island windows on 1-4 are more square, where they are rectangle on 5-7.... You can do a LHD-8 with the LHD-7 kit. The biggest difference in that LHD-8 has canted stacks...

Hope my info helps

Thomas

Yes it does. Thanks so much!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:19 pm 

Hello guys, starting in the Iwo Jima 1 350 here. Ive done some research back a couple of years but since they my Hard drive got erased and lost it.

Could you send some info or photos showing the layout of the airwings used, I would like one composed of CH53 , harriers uh1, but less Ospreys (2 to 4 Osprays would be enough haha, dont like the looks)

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:37 pm 

I built the Iwo Jima, which you can see here. I vaguely recalling using photos to spot the air group.

A quick internet search comes up with lots of photos, like these:
Attachment:
US_Navy_080906-N-1082Z-015_The_multi-purpose_amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Iwo_Jima_(LHD_7)_transits_the_Atlantic_Ocean.jpg
US_Navy_080906-N-1082Z-015_The_multi-purpose_amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Iwo_Jima_(LHD_7)_transits_the_Atlantic_Ocean.jpg [ 313.83 KiB | Viewed 10786 times ]

Attachment:
US_Navy_080906-N-1082Z-029_The_multi-purpose_amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Iwo_Jima_(LHD_7)_transits_the_Atlantic_Ocean.jpg
US_Navy_080906-N-1082Z-029_The_multi-purpose_amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Iwo_Jima_(LHD_7)_transits_the_Atlantic_Ocean.jpg [ 2.02 MiB | Viewed 10786 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:53 am 

Thanks! As I can see in that type of mix there are no MV22s, I didnt see both CH53 and Mv22 on deck the same time

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:30 pm 

Go here to see types of deployed aircraft and sqns for all of Iwo Jima's Deployments.

http://www.gonavy.jp/meuD07f.html

I couldn't find actual numbers for the Marine aircraft, but they may be there somewhere, the site has a lot of info.
The Navy Carrier deployments seem to have more details on numbers of each type deployed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:52 am 

Happy Friday! I need some help. Does anyone have the Trumpeter 1/350 USS Iwo Jima LHD-7 that is not built and can check something for me? I am making a decal set for the hangar bay and need someone to verify sizes.

Thanks!

Attachments:
USS IWO JIMA LHD 7 SAMPLE.jpg
USS IWO JIMA LHD 7 SAMPLE.jpg [ 333.98 KiB | Viewed 10666 times ]

Model Albums - https://www.flickr.com/photos/128642409@N05/albums
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:53 pm 

I had a few fellow modellers assist me with scaling. All i good now. So there are now hangar bay decal sets for the USS Wasp and the USS Iwo Jima! https://davidsscalemodels.com/decals/1- ... ecal-sets/

Model Albums - https://www.flickr.com/photos/128642409@N05/albums

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:59 pm 

bootneck42 wrote:
Can anyone here please advise me of the naming and order of levels of the decks for the Tarawa class? Obviously the top deck (level 01?) is the flight deck but how are they named/numbered from the next one down and so forth to the keel? Is there a cross-section diagram to illustrate this?

I am currently building a waterline level model of the Tarawa class but don't know which level the waterline is at.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Mike

Hi Mike

Just in case you are still wondering. It should be just like the carriers. The hanger deck is the main deck and then the next one up from that is the 01 level and so one as you go up. I can't help you with the lower decks.

Duane

Cole DDG 67, The Sullivans DDG 68
Bainbridge DDG 96, Jason Dunham DDG 109
Arthur W. Radford DD 968, Kidd DDG 993
Chicago CG 11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:09 pm 

re the numbering of the decks:
The waterline has nothing to do with the designation of any deck. The "main deck" is identified as the highest deck that runs completely forward to aft. On a regular carrier, that is the hangar deck, as the 01 and 02 levels (officially not "decks") are not uninterrupted. The Main deck is the First Deck, and the Second Deck is below. This continues down to a point where the decks again are not continuous, and below that they are called Platforms.

On regular aircraft carriers, above the hangar deck there are two levels of galleries, that surround the hangar. These are 01 and 02. Below the flight deck is the 03 level. It is an unbroken run from forward to aft, but the galleries below it have started the 01, 02 nomenclature. If anyone is excited about the name for the flight deck, it is officially the 04 level.

I would expect that pattern to hold frow for the big gators too.

That is the standard terminology for the US Navy. I can't state for foreign navies.

So the relation of the waterline to the decks your best guess is to determine the height of a deck/level, and use that unit of measure to go down to the waterline (your call - full load or light load waterline)

Rick

1/700 Ulsan - Kobo Hiryu
--and dozens more

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next