The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:06 pm 

There's an overhead crane between the two doors, but in a recess in the overhead:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... _crane.jpg
http://www.navy.mil/view_image.asp?id=96673

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:40 am 

veliko_pile wrote:
So from the kit I can make a modern version also?

I like the look of this deck, the position and the fact that there are a lot of CH53. In this configuration is it possible to have somewhere a CH53 with opened rotors? Maybe preparing to lift off?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... Supply.jpg

Also how many A/C there are in the hangar at a given time? I'd like to put a Harrier in deep maintenance (i saw some photos where they lift the engine for servicing), where it would be in the hangar? Supposedly somewhere where it would not obstruct regular elevator operation.

Thanks

You could about copy that picture if you'd want. Sure you could put a CH53 with the rotors opened, I think that'd look great.
As for a Harrier in the hanger, if they were pulling the engine it'd be dead smack in the middle of the hanger bay. That's where the big lift overhead crane is. Just a quick heads up on that, it will look great all the way up to when you put on the flight deck, then it's going to be VERY hard to see. If you spend a bunch of time on it, I'd put it right in front of the bay door where you can see it. The Well Deck and Hanger bay can be decked out big time, but in the end all that work is almost impossible to see.
I spent more time working in the hanger and the well deck than the rest of the ship, and it's all but non visible.
Hope this helps, have fun with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:01 am 

Thanks for the reply. I know its not going to be that much visible but I'm enjoying building it, so I do this kind of things :)

What about the Ospreys and Chinooks? If I replace the chinookas with mv22's can I still use the layout in that photos? Would there me less ch53 if mv22 are onboard?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:54 am 

Sea Knight / Phrog, not Chinooks!

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:57 am 

Tracy White wrote:
Sea Knight / Phrog, not Chinooks!

Can you explain that please?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:25 pm 

Chinook
Sea Knight AKA Phrog
Two completely different air frames. Layout is similar, but they're not the same.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:52 pm 

Ahhh, right! I Mean that one :)

Thanks for the clear up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:10 am 

Either way your layout will be OK.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:19 am 

I ask because I didnt see any photo where there are on deck Sea knights and Ospreys at the same time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:06 am 

It's not the best picture, but you can see both lined up
I hope this picture helps. It's from the USS Bataan, but operations are operations.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:07 am 

Speaking of the USS Bataan, she is one of the ships in the task force in the Persian Gulf, conducting new air strikes against ISIS militants in Iraq.

Quote:
Aug. 8, 2014

The U.S. has a massive force of ships and aircraft in the Persian Gulf for the air campaign against the Islamic State in Iraq.

The first airstrikes against the Islamic State were carried out by two aircraft from the aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush, which is in the Persian Gulf along with the amphibious assault ship Bataan; the amphibious dock landing ship Gunston Hall; the cruiser Philippine Sea; and the destroyers Arleigh Burke, O’Kane and Roosevelt, according to the Defense Department.

The amphibious transport dock Mesa Verde is elsewhere in the region, according to 5th Fleet.

The Bush is coming to the end of what would be a normal six-month deployment. The carrier Carl Vinson is preparing to deploy to 5th Fleet at the end of August, but is on ready standby as the surge carrier, according to Naval Air Forces spokeswoman Cmdr. Jeannie Groeneveld.

The George H.W. Bush could be extended if U.S. Central Command requires it.

(...EDITED)

Marines from the Bataan Amphibious Ready Group are prepared to recover aircraft and personnel on short notice in a hostile environment should that become necessary, Stephens said in an email.

More than 2,000 Marines from the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit are aboard the ships in the Bataan’s group along with 12 MV-22B Ospreys; eight AV-8B Harriers; four CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters; three UH-1Y Venom helicopters and four AH-1W Super Cobra attack helicopters.

(...SNIPPED)

Air Force Times

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:28 am 

I've read various sources that mention that the Wasp LHD's have a monorail type cargo system to move cargo from one part of the ship to other parts, especially in the vehicle storage bays and the well deck.
In this pic below, are the yellowish I-beams on the ceiling going the length of the well deck part of the monorail cargo moving system?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... D_1%29.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:33 am 

That is / was - they've been removing it from ships. I was on LHD-2 Essex last week, just out of overhaul, and her overheads were clear of this.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:41 pm 

tracy, why did they remove them?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:46 pm 

DavidP wrote:
tracy, why did they remove them?

Seconded on this. I'm curious too.

Also, about that overhead crane in the hangar bay, I found this:

Attachments:
File comment: Overhead crane location.
wasp.gif
wasp.gif [ 24.48 KiB | Viewed 4454 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:22 pm 

I don't know for sure why they were removed - I remember reading somewhere that it was due to maintenance issues, but I can't find anything to corroborate that. However, here's a photo of Essex's well deck I shot about a week ago, shortly after she got out of overhaul:

Attachment:
File comment: LHD-2 Well Deck 2014-8-1
IMG_11880.jpg
IMG_11880.jpg [ 87.86 KiB | Viewed 4456 times ]

Gonzo, baby!
There are extending units on the side doors that I remember reading were going to be removed as well, but they're still present on Essex.

With regards to the hangar crane, here's a couple of shots I took:

Attachment:
File comment: Looking aft - note hangar door to the left
IMG_11591.jpg
IMG_11591.jpg [ 68.93 KiB | Viewed 4456 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Looking to port
IMG_11912.jpg
IMG_11912.jpg [ 61.8 KiB | Viewed 4456 times ]

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:47 am 

Wow guys, thanks for the crane location photos. I see that the kit did a flat overhead, i don't know if it will be possible to make that part 100% accurate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:26 am 

veliko_pile wrote:
Wow guys, thanks for the crane location photos. I see that the kit did a flat overhead, i don't know if it will be possible to make that part 100% accurate

I've seen someone here that built the hanger with the crane in and lit it. It'd be a tone of work and unless you add an internal camera like he did I don't think you'd even see it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:36 am 

It's doable; just chop the kit's overhead and build the detail into the underside of the flight deck. However, if you want 100% accuracy you're looking at a ton of work anyway as the kit's overhead is way simplified.

I shot about 500 photos on Essex last weekend and have about 1,400 more I've saved from various Navy sources. I'm working towards offering them all as a reference set for modelers, but it's going to be a bit of a slow process for a bit as I need to organize them by area unless everyone wants to just look and try and figure out what they're seeing ;)

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:06 pm 

Tracy - were you onboard for the July 30th SeaFair parade of ships? I was.

Also - if we have specific questions I may be able to get them answered, I have a shipmate who is stationed aboard Essex.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 249 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next