The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:44 pm 

Hi all,

I am new to the forums and have just got back into modeling after about a 35 year layoff. I am currently building a Trumpeter 1/350 USS Texas BB-35 and roughly halfway through the build.

I have a Trumpeter 1/350 USS Wasp LHD-1 with the complete WEM photo etch upgrade kit in queue for my next build. I would like to put LED lights in both the well deck and the hangar deck, so that you are able to see inside each deck.

I have a couple questions for those that have added lighting to their models:
1. What is a reputable company to buy LEDs from?
2. What is type is better to use, chip, strip or fiber-optic?

Current builds:

Trumpeter 1/200 USS Iowa BB-61 w/Pontos 1944 Detail-up and Advanced add-on sets

In queue:

Trumpeter 1/350 USS Wasp LHD-1 w/ Pontos detail set

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:00 pm 

You can get lots of decent LEDs on eBay from China. I've never had an issue with any of the ones I've purchased. I like to get the ones that already have the resister attached. Strip lighting vs individual LEDs doesn't really matter, they all work great. What matters is where and how you mount them. If you want a row in a hangar bay, get strip lights.

Keep an eye on voltage, many are 12v, if you don't want that, look for other voltages.
Something you may want to experiment with is putting 6v on a 12v led. Modern LEDs are very bright, way too bright for small models. Reducing the voltage will help make them look more too scale.

Also look at the sizes, there are a few standard sizes for small LEDs. Make sure you get the size you need. And finally, if you get strip lights, check the spacing. Some strips have the lights closer together. Get the one that's close to what you want.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:56 am 

Hi guys,

I'm currently building USS Iwo Jima LHD-7 in 1/350. One area that I can't wrap my head around is the UNREP-crane with the hose attachments on the island. Does anyone have good photos of the attachment of the hoses to the fuel pipes from the ship? How the fuel probes are stowed? I assume they are not just hanging around, only kept in place by the line that wraps around the hoses..? And preferably too of the lines go from the drums, through the crane to the hoses? The best pic I have is the included US Navy Photo.
I know I don't ask much...

Thanks!
Erik

Attachments:
170710-N-NB544-193.jpg
170710-N-NB544-193.jpg [ 381.3 KiB | Viewed 1239 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:11 pm 

Good day I have the wasp in 1/350 doing research right now.. how hard would it be or is it possible to convert to the Mankin Island. The biggest difference I see is the stacks they are angled.. I not looking for a perfect build just something that looks like it..I saw this in Facebook said that a great project [img][img][/img][/img]

Attachments:
5F71D6AF-6069-44E6-8B11-7B3F6F73F2B7.jpeg
5F71D6AF-6069-44E6-8B11-7B3F6F73F2B7.jpeg [ 775.63 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]

Last edited by Timmy C on Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merged into Wasp thread
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13