The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:33 am 

Now that one of my favourite ships - the old ENTEX 1/350 Lusitania has been re-released again by Gunze Sangyo, albeit this time as a 'Ltd Edition complete with PE Figures', I thought it might be time to start a thread on the old lady.

http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/mo ... e&sid=4225

And here's a useful modelling Tutorial to get you all going!

http://www.titanic-model.com/articles/l ... evised.pdf

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:08 am 

Hi Dave ,

count me in the Lusitania fan club .

I built years ago a 1/100 hull , but had to quit the construction , as I wanted to get some skills before I went on on her :

http://titanic-model.com/articles/laurent/update_jan05/

I think I'll be ready soon to get her finished

Regards ,

Laurent

Just call me the "Cereals Box Killer" , I guess :big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:57 pm 

Hi Dave ~ How's your model going?

I wrote this at the TRMA board, maybe you have an idea or anyone else could chime in?

==> Hi all ~ In the near future I plan to attempt my GS 1/350 Lusy model and I would like to render it similar to Jerry Davidson's version, which I consider one of the best I have seen so far in this scale.

During the initial phase of my research I came across Eric Sauder's article which tries to answer the question whether the ship was camouflaged again (at least) on its final voyage.

The article can be found here:
http://lusitania.marconigraph.com/mfa_funnel.html

From the last five paragraphs above the bottom image, did I get it right, that the superstructure was painted grey again, the brown/buff band was still in place and the funnels where black?

I'm asking because I have seen two different versions of Ken Marschall's 'Final Farewell', the final NY departure scene; one showing the traditional orange funnels with black tops, the other showing the black funnels. (Moreover, if you have a look at the Lusy page over at MaritimeQuest.com, the funnels are orange while the next illustration (seconds before the torpedo impact) shows them black...).

It seems to me that the ship changed its appearance several times from the beginning of the war until its sinking. Starting with the piece time livery, then the grey upperworks and grey funnels, then back to piece time plus the brown/buff band, then - according to the article mentioned above - the white changed to grey again, funnels this time: black. Brown/buff band?

The grey superstructure: Could this colour be pinned down (or better: compared) to something the RN used during WWII ==> 507A, 507B, 507C, or whatever? (Would be interesting to know if this was the same grey that is visible on Maury (at Mudros 1915)?

Your thoughts? Any help is highly appreciated ~ Olaf!

Happy Modelling ~ Olaf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:54 pm 

Being as through Lusy is one of my two favorite liners (the other being the United States), I have the Entex kit, some PE for it, and a mostly-completed scratch built 1/600 Lusy. 'Won't get back on that one for a while, as I have about four large ice breakers and several tankers to finish first.

Lee Anne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:39 pm 

Only just found this post again!

Not started my kit yet, but I have bought a few books, including Kent's.

Not had chance for a good look yet, but a quick glance doesn't suggest much information on the paint schemes you ask about Olaf.

I will keep looking.

Cheers

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:57 pm 
Dear Dave,
Count me in the Lusitania fan club, the story of the 'Lusy' has fascinated me for years, and now, I am also building a war time version out of the Gunze Sangyo kit in 1/350 scale.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:52 pm 

Filipvs wrote:
I am working on AIRFIX 1/600 <<MAURETANIA>>. My question is:
Are Mauretania and Lusitania exactly equal ships?

Mechanically they were pretty equal, but if you’re looking to convert your Airfix Maury to Lucy there’s quite a bit to be done. Off the top of my head you’ll want to change the vents (cowl vents to mushrooms), new bridge front and bridge deck, remove the overhanging promenade windows, and slightly modify the stern lines. Plenty of small details as well, so it’s a worthwhile undertaking if you’re looking for a research and modeling challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:32 pm 

It’s a nice kit for the era. A few little odd bits like the mooring lines molded in place across the fore and after decks, but builds well and can be a stunner:

Jim Bauman has a beautiful build of her in dazzle in the gallery along with a build log. http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/misc/liners/600-Mauretania-jb/jb-review.html

Marcello d'Andrea’s 1:600 Lusitania is amazing as well http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/service/liners/lusitania-600-mda/mda-index.html

One of my favorite Airfix liners.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:50 pm 

It depends on the type of basketball :big_grin: Some of them are bright orange, others are brown. And of course, everywhere in between.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:58 pm 

Filipus;
I must agree, a very good tutorial. Although I am building my kit as a war time representation with black funnels and gold-brown stripe, I have used color blends from the tutorial and I am happy with the results so far. The model has a very pleasing overall 'patina'. regards Travis :wave_1:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:17 pm 

There is also Keith Bender's build here

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:43 am 

On the subject of colours, 'Cunard Red' or 'Cunard Orange' are as hotly debated as Titanic's 'White Star Buff' - just how red (or yellow in the case of Titanic) or orange is Cunard Red?

From what I have read to date, 'Cunard Red' went through many guises between the early days and today's ship's funnel colour, so I guess it depends largely upon the subject and the era.
For my 1/350 Lucy, I intend to go for Humbrol's colour as recommended in Kent's tutorial.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:49 am 

Well, Lucy and Maury fans,

I've completed the first phase of my conversion of the Mr. Hobby (Gunze Sangyo) 1:350 kit into a credible Mauretania. He're some pictures included.

The most prominent changes are:

reshaped stern (poop is the better word I believe)
new scratch rudder
reshaped stem (sharper, more angular at bottom)
reshaped anchor wells (triangular, Lucy's are D-shaped)
larger bow bulwark

and completely replaced all decks, with Evergreen 2020 V-grooved plate, backed with 1 mm sheet for the Shelter Deck and 0.5 mm sheet for the decks above. I corrected and increased the width where necessary, this giving a considerable difference with the kit parts.

I used the sidewalls supplied in the kit, with suitable modifications along the way. As I don't have detailed plans about the window layout I accepted this for the time being, but all the decks are still accessible and I can change the windows as more info becomes available.

Further I scratchbuilt some parts: the larger and middle sized ventilator cowls, to be cast in quantity by a commercial resin casting company. The small ventilators with the slant necks at the front of the 2nd class Boat deck (unique to Maury, Lucy had no vents there) I made too but I'm not sure yet to have them cast. Also made the deckhouses over the engine room ventilation shafts, slightly different from Lucy's (smaller and rounded).

Well I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions!

Maarten

Attachment:
P1030800a.jpg
P1030800a.jpg [ 91.86 KiB | Viewed 18113 times ]

Attachment:
P1030801a.jpg
P1030801a.jpg [ 73.08 KiB | Viewed 18113 times ]

Attachment:
P1030803a.jpg
P1030803a.jpg [ 64.37 KiB | Viewed 18113 times ]

Attachment:
P1030805a.jpg
P1030805a.jpg [ 62.31 KiB | Viewed 18113 times ]

Attachment:
P1030807a.jpg
P1030807a.jpg [ 92.18 KiB | Viewed 18113 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:29 am 

Maarten,

I love the way your work is progressing - I have sent you an email.

I would be especially interested in seeing some close ups of the revisions to the stern/poop deck.

This will be an inspiration for me to get my Titanic finished so I can start on the same path!

I am currently planning on one of the wartime dazzle schemes but am still trying to get more information on that!

Regards,

Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:46 pm 

For those interested in something larger, I came across news that there is a 1:144 Lusitania semi kit under development by several of those who collaborated on the earlier Titanic effort in the same scale:

http://www.modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/vi ... 44+titanic

Apparently this project is live & will become a kit in after hearing from Mr. Davies-Garner who advised that both hull & photo etch are well underway. He stressed its not a priority but it will be available in 2015 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of her sinking.

You'll find updates at http://titanic-model.com/dc/dcboard.php ... &mode=full

Dr. Hahn is not involved in the project as I discovered earlier in the week so this new liner project is spearheaded by Mr. Davies-Garner. After seeing some of his models - he is the chap who built the 1:48 Titanic at the Titanic Experience Exhibit in Orlando, FL - I would say this project is in capable hands.

You can see his work at: http://www.cdscaledesigns.com/Pete/peter_contents.html

For those who fancy an interest in Lusitania, you will find some outstanding drawings of her on the following site:

http://www.rmstitanicplans.com/367natgeopack.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:59 pm 
Count me in on the Lusitania. I may build that as my next liner. Right now I am in the latter stages of the SS Italia, originally the Klungholm built in Hamburg, Germany in 1928. As soon as I can get a hold on this Ship Model Forum I will probably post some pictures. The Italia is the ship that brought my wife to the US from Germany in 1954, a family of 4 imigrants. I am making the replica of this ship to honor their voyage. It's a solid hull design (no one is ever going to look inside anyway), 36" long on a 1/200ish scale.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:12 am 

Hi DellingerJ,
nice to see that you're doing the 1928 Kungsholm. I have the original 1928 article on her from the Motorship lying around somewhere with an eye on doing her in '700 if I ever finish the 1953 version. PM me if you're interested....

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:23 pm 

A pdf that I made out of the article that was published in Engineering magazine in 1907 that is available on Google Books. It is 57 pages and has lots technical details, line drawings and photos of the ship both in and out.
http://russiannavy.net/militaryPhotos/e ... itania.pdf

Here is the link to the google books version:
http://books.google.com/books?id=kfUwAQ ... ia&f=false

Vladimir

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:40 pm 

Thanks, that makes for one very interesting read! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:13 pm 
Any one know where I can get plans of the cunard pier in Marcello d'Andrea's Lusitania diorama?