The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:52 am 

The instructions for Heian Maru call for 3 different greys - does anyone know what they might be?

thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:20 pm 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Mike W wrote:
The instructions for Heian Maru call for 3 different greys - does anyone know what they might be?

thanks
Mike

If you want to go with Hasegawa's painting scheme, you could use IMHO the following WEM colourcoats and Humbrol paint :

For 32 use Sasebo Grey
For 31 use Kure Grey
For 308 use Humbrol #64 light grey

However, Motoyuki Iwashige has used a different camo scheme for his Heian Maru, you can have a look here http://ww6.enjoy.ne.jp/~iwashige/heianmaru.htm

As he is one of the top experts regarding Japanese Merchant Marine, I will rather follow him and use the following paints from dark to light : Humbrol #27, Humbrol #64 and Humbrol #28.

He has told me he always uses neutral grays on his merchant ships.

cheers

Gilbert
:wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:02 pm 

That was quick! Many thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:41 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Hi all,

Yesterday I have tried to find the thread related to the very good website related to Japanese Merchant Marine in WW2, run by Motoyuki Iwashige. As it was on the Main Forum, this thread has been lost due to inactivity. Therefore, I have created this new thread in CASF - Amphibious and Transports -

Link to the website is http://ww6.enjoy.ne.jp/~iwashige/modellist.htm

cheers

Gilbert :wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:46 pm 

A great website, and a good topic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:55 pm 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Hi Dan,

I have tried to contact Motoyuki-san a couple of times via PM and e-mail and got no answer. I would like to have his opinion on the Fujimi recently released Argentina maru and Brazil Maru.

cheers

Gilbert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:59 pm 
Gilbert,

I've posted a note to Iwashige-san on the same subject and asked him to re-issue the photo of Argentina Maru posted in the Events Forum. Did you know that Fujimi had also issued a dedicated photo etch fret for Argentina Maru - saves cutting out dozens of stantions from .3mm brass rod!!

You may be able to help on another subject I've put to him - namely 'What were the ports of registration for Japanese Merchant ships (Yokohama I can guess, but were there others?) and did specific companies use specific ports?'

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:37 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Freighter wrote:
Gilbert,

I've posted a note to Iwashige-san on the same subject and asked him to re-issue the photo of Argentina Maru posted in the Events Forum. Did you know that Fujimi had also issued a dedicated photo etch fret for Argentina Maru - saves cutting out dozens of stantions from .3mm brass rod!!

Jim,

Yes, I have ordered the set from HLJ, saving time is welcome. Sorry for not having the registration info for merchant ships you are looking for.

cheers

Gilbert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:16 pm 

Thanks for the head's up on the Argentina Maru PE set. I receiver Argentina Maru and Brasil Maru last week and wish I had known about the PE sets before they arrived.

I wonder how long they will be available as I see that HLJ is listing the PE set for IJN CVL Kaiyo as "discontinued".

Also alarming to see that the Finemolds 25mm injection AAA is also listed as discontinued. http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMWA-01 Say it isn't so!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:52 pm 

reigels wrote:
Thanks for the head's up on the Argentina Maru PE set. I receiver Argentina Maru and Brasil Maru last week and wish I had known about the PE sets before they arrived.

I wonder how long they will be available as I see that HLJ is listing the PE set for IJN CVL Kaiyo as "discontinued".

Also alarming to see that the Finemolds 25mm injection AAA is also listed as discontinued. http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMWA-01 Say it isn't so!

This totally sucks big time that they disco'd the Finemold 25mms! :mad_2: If I knew that, I would of bought many more.

I haven't received my Brazil Maru yet, and I see that its in its peacetime livery. Does anyone know what her armament would be when she was sunk in 1942? I'm thinking 2 main guns a piece on bandstands fore and aft. Maybe a couple of single 25mm's around the bridge area?

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:39 pm 

Odds are, they will be "re-released" as another production run at a later date.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:28 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Quincy wrote:
I haven't received my Brazil Maru yet, and I see that its in its peacetime livery. Does anyone know what her armament would be when she was sunk in 1942? I'm thinking 2 main guns a piece on bandstands fore and aft. Maybe a couple of single 25mm's around the bridge area?

Bob Pink.

Hi Bob,

I am not sure about her armament because, as you know, the Japanese used many AA guns diferent combinations on their transports. Moreover, in the picture below taken probably in may-june 1942, it's quite difficult to identify her AA guns. Anyway, I hope Motoyuki-san will help us on this or hopefully we will have an article in a future Model-Art or Navy Yard issue.

Attachment:
Argentina_Maru_or_Brazil_Maru.jpg
Argentina_Maru_or_Brazil_Maru.jpg [ 62.98 KiB | Viewed 37306 times ]

cheers

Gilbert :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:25 pm 

I agree with you Gilbert that Mr. Motoyuki Iwashige will be the way to go for references. The picture that you have posted does not show any bandstands at all. As for the light armament, that is hard to tell as well.

BoB Pink.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:20 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Quincy wrote:
I agree with you Gilbert that Mr. Motoyuki Iwashige will be the way to go for references. The picture that you have posted does not show any bandstands at all. As for the light armament, that is hard to tell as well.

BoB Pink.

Well Bob, I agree and I wish I had some other pictures to share but this is the only one I've found so far. :heh:

cheers

Gilbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:40 am 

Hi Gilbert:

I think its the only one in existence. :big_grin:

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:26 pm 

Hi Gilbert:

I looked at the Nitta Maru on Iwashige San's website and she looks kinda, sort of a close comparison to the Brasil Maru. I noticed she had 2- 4.7 mm's guns on bandstands, but no 25mm's to be seen. I wonder if Brasil Maru had the same type of set up at her loss?

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:26 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Hi Bob,

Nitta Maru was a much bigger ship (17100 GRT) compared to Brasil Maru (12755 GRT), although I agree with the look alike. It's possible they had the same armament at the time of her sinking but so far we don't have any evidence of this.
By the way, I assume you're talking of 2-4,7 inch guns :big_grin:

cheers

gilbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 am 

Yes I meant inch. :heh: My mind was stuck in the millimeters. :cool_2:

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:21 am 

Hello everyone,
I am sorry very much for long absence, for it was decided to issue a book of my serial Hinomaru fleet gallery in Model Graphix that was scheduled to be out in this spring. So I don’t have read through recent posts. Additionally I had took some photos of 1/350 Yukikaze but not prepared to post yet. :doh_1:

Argentina maru and Brazil maru were suddenly released several days before the end of last year in Japan. It might be inadequate for most of merchant ship modelers regarding much simplified and distorted detail, for example the arrangement of engine room ventilators, shape of davit, hatch cover, windlass, winch and so on. To satisfy enthusiast’s eyes almost a ‘reconstruction’ might be needed.
Both ships were requisitioned before the outbreak of Pacific War but actually armed in about April and May 1942 with two 4.7in and two (single mount?) MGs. My model of Nitta maru is one of earliest built and I guess at present that she had not been armed in the early period of war.

OK, I regenerated the page of exhibition. The detail on Argentina maru’s engine casing is very difficult to represent and I don’t know the model is reliable or not. :scratch:
http://ww6.enjoy.ne.jp/~iwashige/tenji2008.htm

Motoyuki Iwashige

ps Gilbert san, I could not find out your mail in recent mail box. I may have missed :dead:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:42 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Welcome back Motoyuki San :woo_hoo: and thanks for your input regarding Argentina & Brasil marus' armament.

I have to say Bob was quite right :heh: . I had another look at the photo and enlarged it on my pc. It seems to me the two 4.7" were on a platform around the fore mast. Where would be the MGs (13,2mm or 25mm) ?

cheers
Gilbert

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1100 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55  Next