The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:39 pm 

Since I have both the Tsugaru, and Okinoshima on the bench, lets talk about these fine classes of auxiliary ships. :cool_2:
Could an Itsukushima be far behind,[ hint, hint] :please: Lets add the Yaeyama as well. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

So far the fit of both is good with the exception of at the bow. My kits had a gap that I had to fill. I would like to see Flyhawk do a photoetch spread for these kits. It would really make them stand out.

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:59 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Hi Bob,

I concur. Thanks for this good topic

Gilbert :wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:11 pm 

Hello there,

i also have the Fujimi Okinoshima in the works. This is one of the ships i will present at Laupheim this year. The theme this year is "Auxiliaries" :wink_3.gif
The only problem i have found so far, is that the main deck had to be reworked in order to make it fit into the hull. But beside that it is a real wonderful kit. :thumbs_up_1: For upgrading i will use parts of the corresponding Fujimi photo etch set (except for the railings and davits) :roll: For the rest i will use the photo etch parts from Lionroar, that is railings, davits, stairs, cable reels,etc.

Kobo Hiryu did some of the above mentioned auxiliaries (Itsukushima, Yaeyama) several years ago, but afaik these are no longer available. I have some of them in my "depot" (Yaeyama, Hatsutaka, Shirataka, Itsukushima). These are older Kobo Hiryu kits, and i must admit that the quality is not good. :no_2:

By the way, the newer kits of that company are really nice. At the moment i am building the survey ship Katsuriki and the Cablelayer Hatsushima. Two more very interestings auxiliaries that will be shown in Laupheim. :big_grin:

It would be cool if more of these ships will appear on the market but i am not very confident because they are way too exotic. :roll: But on the other hand, did anybody expect to see ships like the Fujimi tankers or troop transports or the above mentioned mine layers? So, maybe more ships of that kind will follow. Let´s cross our fingers and hope! :please:

Greetings from the North Sea Coast, Jan :wave_1:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:59 pm 

I mentioned to Flyhawk in the manufacturers section and they are considering doing photoetch frets for Tsugaru/Okinoshima. I hope they come through for us. Can you just imagine the detail thatthey will give these kits. :cool_2:

There are some gaps in the bridge deck of both kits that will require filling also.

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:21 pm 

Keep your eyes peeled for the new Model Art#33. There is an article/pictures of the Japanese minelayers Tsugaru, Tokiwa, and Yaeyama. I have not seen it yet, my copy is enroute as I type.

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:03 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Quincy wrote:
Keep your eyes peeled for the new Model Art#33. There is an article/pictures of the Japanese minelayers Tsugaru, Tokiwa, and Yaeyama. I have not seen it yet, my copy is enroute as I type.

Bob Pink.

Thanks for the info Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:21 pm 

I've just obtained the Niko Minoo, thinking it a small freighter (which basically it is) but it is described as a minelayer. Can anyone describe what role changes were made (and if any of them are appropriate to the kit) and perhaps a little about her service career?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:18 am 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Graham Boak wrote:
I've just obtained the Niko Minoo, thinking it a small freighter (which basically it is) but it is described as a minelayer. Can anyone describe what role changes were made (and if any of them are appropriate to the kit) and perhaps a little about her service career?

Hello Graham,
Some info here:[quote Janschu]i have build the Minoo from Niko Models already, and i must say it is a really nice model. The Minoo was one of two Wartime Standard Type 2D freighters
being converted to a minelayer. The other vessel (#1822) was completed after the war as Kanshin Maru. The kit was almost completely build out of the
box, i have only replaced the 25mm guns with photoetched ones from Lionroar.[/quote]
here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_minelayer_Minoo
and here: http://homepage2.nifty.com/nishidah/e/stc0862.htm
Jentschura & Jung book "Warships of the IJN 1869-1945 p.202 states the following:
Quote:
Minelaying conversion of Type 2D Standard Merchant Vessel (2,274 GRT/3850 dwt). Additional transverse bulkheadds installed between the boiler room and engine room and also in the hold, the latter being fitted out as the mine stowage. Intended for use as transports, the cargo derricks being retained.

They were two ships converted Eijo and Mino
Quote:
Mino: Laid down 11/44 as type 2DRS Standard Freighter, requisitioned by IJN in 12/44 and completed 05/08/1945, as a ML in Kure NY ; captured and used by Repatriation service until 1947 ; BU 1947 at Urabe, Innoshima.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:12 am 

Hello Graham,

you can find two photos of a model of Eijo maru in Motoyuki san´s book (page 39). He build the ship as it might have looked
if it was completed as projected. :thumbs_up_1:
The Niko Model kit (Minoo) can also be converted quite easily to represent one of the numerous Wartime Standard Type 2D cargo vessels
that were build in 1944 (52 ships!) and 1945 (29 ships!). I think the biggest problem is to get sufficient informations in order to build a certain ship of
this class. :roll:

Even more information can be found here: http://pwencycl.kgbudge.com/

Greetings from the North Sea Coast, Jan :wave_1:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:19 am 

Thank you. I'd missed the Eijo model.....it is interesting to compare the differences from the Minoo kit. The Minoo lacks the mine railway outboard of the hatches, which I consider is a fault in the kit. The Minoo has interesting framework over the hatches, which I assume are overhead cranes for moving the mines. These are different from those shown on the Eijo, which may be just modelling variations of the same equipment, but are positioned differently, being between the hatches.

Is it a safe presumption to remove these cranes (and the aft chutes) for a standard 2D? Or would the armament and aerials differ on a representative example - I am assuming this level of detail is known.

One separate point, which is more general. It is common to represent the booms at 45 degs from the masts. I've seen it suggested that this is wrong, and they should be either folded up to the masts of horizontal. Any opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:14 pm 

The new Model Art #33 has the resin Kobo Hiryu kits of Itsukushima, Yaeyama, Wakataka, and Hatsutaka, and Tokiwa. Tokiwa, Itsukushima and Yaeyama are the 3 featured builds mainly focusing in detail on Tokiwa. Itsukushima and Yaeyama did not go into much details other than a very brief shot of both bridges. I was kind of hoping for more in an in depth build of these two because the KH kits are very crude and lack details. At least there are good color photos of their builds.

The Fujimi Tsugaru kits are both represented here in her 1942/ 1944 fits. The 1942 kit has the floatplane with catapult, while the 1944 version has radar atop the foremast, while omitting the catapuly and her aircraft. She also has a triple 25mm gun platform afixed to her rear mainmast superstructure.

Another great issue from Model Art. :big_grin:

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:16 pm 

I forgot to mention the Fujimi Okinoshima kit in her as lost 1942 rig as well. OOPS!! :heh:

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:47 pm 
L'Arsenal
L'Arsenal

Still waiting for my Model Art. Thanks Bob.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:47 pm 

Are there any Japanese websites that have 1/700 builds of the Minelayer Shirataka? I have my 1/700 plans from the Model Art 33 issue, but I would like to have more views and ideas on how to do it better.

Already cut out the hull halves and the deck but have not made the waterline plate yet. I have noticed that the Shirataka had a turtle back fore deck. I might be considering doing what Guido did for his 1/350 Perfect Storm build by using the sandwich method. I am new to scratchbuilding and am trying not to get frustrated during the process.

Bob Pink.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:08 pm 

Hey Folks!
Could anyone help me out with a picture or plan of the Tokiwa in her minelayer configuration?? I'm thinking about converting the ship from Seals Models to the WW2 fit, but I couldn't find useful pictures/plans on the web.

Navypedia gives some info on the armament changes, but doesn't provide much more :(

http://www.navypedia.org/ships/japan/jap_cr_asama.htm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:42 pm 

I've got nothing. Too obscure even for me. :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:45 pm 
All,

has someone got models of this Japanese garage company: 松江模型 一〇四工作部? I haven't found an English name or website of it yet. Therefore I don't know their complete product range. They have several auxiliaries including minelayers such as Itsukushima and Yaeyama on offer. I have orderd an Itsukushima and just received a couple of former Dutch vessels captured or salvaged by the Japanese and used by them as auxiliary sub chasers and minesweepers. These are off course very small in 1/700 scale. Quality is similar to that of Kobe Hiryu. I'm considering to order some more if I can find them so I can build the Dutch and the Japanese versions.

Another new arrival is the Namikaze in her 1945 fit from Frogfoot which was used as a minesweeper. Now I don't have to convert a plastic models stern of this class which I find something difficult to do.

Both mentioned companies don't supply all components needed to build the model. Parts of Pitroad weapon series are needed and to my suprise for the Frogfoot model plastic parts of the Pitroad Minekaze model are needed.

I would welcome a pe set for the Okinoshima and Tsugaru too. I have the Joe World set for the Tsugaru wich is a nice addition to the Fujimi set. But unfortunately Joe World didn't create one for the Okinoshima.

Attached a picture from the web showing the Yaeyama hull supplied by the first company mentioned above.

Finally another in my opinoin usefull pe set is the minesweeper no 19 of Ingenuity Model.

Regards Berend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:14 pm 

Gone Asiatic has: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=103009&p=490848&hilit=104#p490848
And here's his short build thread of the Akasuki kit: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=57234&p=350448&hilit=104#p350448
And the Chikuma kit: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=43665&hilit=104

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:13 am 

Sorry i just noticed the picture of yayeyama hasn't been uploaded. New attempt.

Attachments:
File comment: yaeyama
yaeyama.jpg
yaeyama.jpg [ 39.37 KiB | Viewed 3890 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:09 pm 

Hey Dan,
No problem - I think I'll ask Quincy for a scan of that model art magazine he mentioned... A single page should help :) i found a sketch of the Tokiwa in the US field manual from 1941 - but not enough details to built it...

@berend; thanks for mentioning the 104 manufacturer! They have some really interesting ships in 1/700, I will try to order some of them (esp. the Itsukushima). The Yaeyama looks pretty clean, but I have already ordered the old Kobo-Hiryu kit...