The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:00 am 

A 116,000dwt tanker. Pretty cool eh? I hope all merchant ships start doing such things. Hard to maintain of course, and it'll probably look pretty bad after a few years until the next dry dock! Nonetheless it's pretty good looking like this! I wished they just started designing crests for our ships too! Now they only make t-shirts with the shilhouette of the ship and the name below. It would be nice to have them with a special crest of some kind, like warships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Neptune wrote:
Are you saying my model doesn't look good??? :big_grin:

Of course not, I was thinking that the piping should probably be raised off the deck to look right. A lot of detail should probably be omitted due to the small scale. But just how much is the question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now that is one cool paint job. I too wonder if this will catch on. Cruiser liners have all kinds of cool paint jobs, maybe it's time for the merchant ships to use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:57 pm 

hmm, that depends, the transverse pipes are basically on the deck, they're about 10cm off or something. The large longitudinal lines are approximately 2m10 above deck, supported by a LOT of structures as you could see on my model. Indeed, they don't look right as I used "full" pieces of cardboard, while in reality they are bridge shaped with an x between the two outer legs. I do think such things are very possible with PE.

As for the paint scheme, I don't know why they did this, probably a brand new ship, just to brag a bit. Otherwise it is very expensive to keep such things more or less in a good shape, so they won't do it as they are commercial benefit goes above everything, including our lives, for the owners.

There seems to be "Ice" written connected to that ice bear, I wouldn't be surprised if this one actually is an Ice class ship, which means it has a strengthened hull/bow to plow through ice. The North, mostly Russia and Norway are becoming more attractive for this type of ships and more Ice classes are appearing nowadays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Check out the Bulk carrier in today's update. Man I love these big ships. Now if I could just get one in 700 scale without building from scratch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:29 am 

Yes, great model, too bad for the scale and price though! And I want a kit, something I can build myself, this one is a finished ship when it comes?

here is some Arctica news, just as I expected, an ice class:

Quote:
Joint Cooperation for Stena Bulk, Sovcomflot

1/27/2006 1:32:42 PM

The tanker Stena Arctica will be named in the Port of Göteborg. With its 117,100 dwt, the vessel is the largest Swedish flagged ship in the Swedish merchant navy and the world’s largest tanker with the highest class in service. The Stena Arctica, in cooperation with Sovcomflot – the largest shipping company in Russia – will mainly transport Russian crude oil from the Gulf of Finland to the Continent. The cooperation between the shipping companies Stena Bulk and Sovcomflot includes building up a pool of 10-15 ice-strengthened tankers, due to begin in February, 2006. The objective is to ship 20-25 million tons of Russian oil per year from the Baltic to the UK/Continent. Stena Bulk and Sovcomfolt also plan to jointly develop a so-called B-MAX tanker, with B standing for Baltic. Cooperation in the training of crews for shipping in icy waters has been initiated, this includes sponsorship of a training program and a training centre at the Makarov Institute in St. Petersburg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:30 am 

Had a good day yesterday. Went out with the pilots as part of our course of Manoeuvring. So I chose the big ship again... MSC Lucy was the choice, a container vessel of 324m long and 42.8m wide. We had to get her into the lock, as you will soon notice, you don't see a thing on these boats... Only had about 5m left on each side when we entered the lock.
I got a tour on the ship too as there was little to do for me and the pilots didn't mind. They thought it was more important to see a ship like that than to stand next to them and watch outside all the time.

A view outside, the mast in font is the bow, but the real shape is invisible due to these containers!

Here a bridge wing view, those large bridgewings are very handy when you have to get into a lock.

A view from the sidewalks on the ship, containers on top, containers next to you and containers everywhere.

And here (one of the three floors of) the monstrous 12 cilinder 80,000hp engine giving this big ship a speed of 27kts:

CP Yosemite

Yang Ming Orchid

One of the family, a smaller version though. MSC Linzie:

Big fun. Too dark when we entered the lock though and hard to take pictures when I entered the ship....
:mad_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:30 pm 

Nice piccies! Thanks for sharing!

Is the Revell reiiue of the Hawaiian Pilot (a Victory ship?) out yet and has anyone seen it?

Thankee, Mateys!
:surfer:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:13 pm 

Roel,

Great pics! I have one question fro you:

How do they secure all the shipping containers to the ship?

Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:10 pm 

You don't, these boxes are more or less loose :big_grin:

Well, that is partially true really. Unfortunately I'm working on a different computer, but this weekend I'll show you some pics to illustrate what I'm going to explain here.

Practically the ones on the deck are secured with twistlocks, there are provisions on deck to put these twistlocks into, the upper part of them is put in the corner of a container,where you see the holes. Then you twist a bar and the container is secured.

The row on top of that, is put on top of the container below and secured by metal bars in the lower corner, with turnbuckles to keep the tension.

The row on top of that, is again secured with even longer metal bars, again with huge turnbuckles to keep the tension, practically this bar keeps the containers below the third one on the deck too.

Then comes the "hard" part. The fourth, and fifth and so on, are all connected with four twistlocks to the top of the container below. Needless to say, they are very unstable. Sometimes if lots of effort is done, they are connected to the container next to it too, but that doesn't seem to be the case in these real big ships.

I guess you are now seeing why we do NOT want those new generation container ships! They want to go seven or even eight containers high. The force of the wind increases square to the hight, so the force on a container standing on top of seven others is square to the force exerted on the one in the middle of the "tower"! In even the most moderate of storms, they will lose containers and not just a little. One of the pilots spoke about the loss of about 300,000TEU (Twenty-foot Equivalent Unit) a year.

This is practically what it leads to when you stack them that high:

Obviously these top containers were empty as twistlocks can't really hold a fully laden container in such a position, this is how you lose them...

Of course not all these containers on container vessels are laden, sometimes they are just carrying mostly empty containers from one place to the other.

All the cargo work is done on land of course. For example, if a ship passes Rotterdam, Rotterdam then sends the loading manual to the next port, so that they know which containers have to leave in which place. So the containers that have to be taken off first, are put on top, the ones to leave last, are put down below.
And with 8,000-9,000 containers (and with less too of course), stability is quite an issue too! As some containers are stuffed with pillows, others with coils of metal plate!

Not sure about that Victory ship of revell, I haven't seen it in the stores yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:16 pm 

Didn't knew I uploaded this one already, here you can see the large turnbuckles in which the bars are placed.
In the lower laft corner you can also see the crossed bars to keep the upper containers fixed with the turnbuckles. You can also see it if you look at the other container vessels I pictured. The lower containers have an "X" shape on their front, those are two of these bars connected to the lower corners of the container on top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:45 pm 

Some cool pics I found on Shipspotting:
That's when it's not funny anymore (certainly not for the officers, as the ship is getting beaten up pretty severly, you'll most likely lose some of the life saving equipment and possible damage to cargo) not good for the stomach either :thumbs_up_1: :

That's why the English channel really isn't loved by sailors:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:40 pm 

Neptune wrote:

yikes :shock: :shipcaptain: :help_1: :anyone: :please: :big_eyes: AAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Wouldn't that vista scare the proverbial out of you?

Great set of pics Neptune, thx for sharing.

Bill :wave_1: - we don't have an emoticon for sea-sickness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:48 pm 

Roel,

Thanks for the pics of the containers falling... That's pretty much what I was imagining when I saw your original photos.

Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:31 am 

Bill,
That's not that frightening. Actually, for small boats like this one, such waves are not that dangerous. The crew will CERTAINLY get sick, but the boat itself if well constructed, which certainly is the case nowadays, will not suffer that much from it. These waves are more dangerous to large vessels. The crew won't get sick as the ship will hardly move, but the ship's structure itself will be beaten up pretty badly. If such a wave, with a considerable wavelength reaches the middle part of your ship, then the middle part is supported by lots of water, while the bow and stern will be in the trough and hence not supported by a mass of water like the midship section. This will cause a hogging in the ship, the ship's ends will bend down.
If that wave goes further, then the stern and bow will be supported, while the middle part is in the trough, causing a sagging, the ship's ends will be supported, while the middle part will go down a bit.
So the ship will constantly bend, which is NOT good for a ship, certainly not when the weights and moments are large like tankers and bulkcarriers.

Although it should be said that this wave is likely a rogue wave, which doesn't occur that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:07 pm 

Thanks for that Neptune, very informative.

Bill :wave_1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:40 am 

Here you can clearly see how the lower containers are lashed to the deck. As you can also see, the ones on top don't have such a securing bar tied to their corners.

(picture taken on a lower level next to the lifeboat looking forward)

Bill, no problem, it's a strange world if you aren't in it. No one ever thinks about it, but once you get to see these ships and know that without them the world would pretty much stop turning and go back to medieval times, they often attrackt some interest. And I'm glad that happens here too!

Just a pitty they don't make many good models of such vessels...
Here's another view while approaching with the pilot boat to board, pretty massive as you can see:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:14 pm 

nice pictures, specially the maersk tug riding that wave!!!
it really is a pity that there is so few merchant ships ot tugs or ahts vessels as kits...
as a note, like neptune said above, the bending on a ship can cause something like this.... and waves are not necesarily on the mix!!!
lucky for me that i get to build them 1/1 scale :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:
cheers
german

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:45 am 

Euh, Fowairet hit a sand bar after a rudder defect on the River Scheldt. Not actually caused by wave effect. Indeed Fowairet was quite wasted, they have now cut out a 30m section and put the front and back together again. She's still sailing around now, but with less capacity. Next year she will go to Japan or South-Korea to insert a new 30m piece.

So where do you work Manverick? In one of the Dutch yards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:42 am 

hi... i had that picture and was sent to me as a bending moment example, never knew if it was a sand bank or bad weather or something else. thanks for the heads up!.
i work in chile.... i would say a small shipyard, fishing vessels, tugs (like 30), passanger ships, motoryatchs and some supply vessels such as the one on the pic. nothing bigger than 100m loa....
i've seen waves like that some time ago onroute on the cape horn... scary stuff
cheers
german

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next