The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:25 pm 

Hoping to build a 1:350 or 1:700 scale full-hull scratch-built version of the SS Manhattan, post-conversion to Northwest Passage icebreaker. This would be my first-ever from-scratch effort. Hoping to honor a step-father who served on this vessel during the voyage.

Short history via Wikipedia: "The SS Manhattan was an oil tanker constructed at the Fore River Shipyard in Quincy, Massachusetts that became the first commercial ship to cross the Northwest Passage in 1969. Having been built as an ordinary tanker in 1962, she was refitted for this voyage with an icebreaker bow in 1968-69. Registered in the United States at the time, she was the largest U.S. merchant vessel as well as the biggest icebreaker in history. The Manhattan remained in service till 1987. After an accident in East Asia she was scrapped in China."

More extensive background here, with some interesting photos and diagrams:
http://sunshiporg.homestead.com/manhattan.html

Never considered a full scratch build before. Would welcome any newbee scratchbuilder advice, and will be combing the scratchbuilt forums for process and advice.

Need to make a basic decision about what scale to take this forward in. And, most important, need to identify a source of scale plans for the ship.

Last edited by D-Boy on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:50 pm 

106,500 DWT, 940' Tanker Manhattan Tankers Co. (Niarchos). New 15 Jan, 1962; scrapped 1987.

Ships plans of the original 1962 Fore River Shipyard hull now purchased via this seller on Ebay:

A 1:1250 wl model of her exists - short run resin/cast metal kit, with an unfortunate history - commissioner apparently did not pay Mountford Metal Miniatures for the production. No longer available from MMM, but remaining copies for sale by Martin Brown at MB Models, Buckinghamshire, UK:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370432907646&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by D-Boy on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:35 pm 
Hi there, My Father served as a 3rd Mate, Chief Mate and Captain On the Manhattan. Starting in 1966 as a 3rd Mate and then Chief and Captain after the passage. He was Master with her on a grain run and runs to Valdez in the 70's and 80's. I servered on her in 1979, 1980 and 1982 as an AB. I have never tried to do what you are trying to do, but it sounds like it might be fun. My father was Oscar C. Sewell. If you need any feed back, would be glad to give it.

Thanks Dean

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:45 am 

Guest wrote:
Hi there, My Father served as a 3rd Mate, Chief Mate and Captain On the Manhattan. Starting in 1966 as a 3rd Mate and then Chief and Captain after the passage. He was Master with her on a grain run and runs to Valdez in the 70's and 80's. I servered on her in 1979, 1980 and 1982 as an AB. I have never tried to do what you are trying to do, but it sounds like it might be fun. My father was Oscar C. Sewell. If you need any feed back, would be glad to give it.

Thanks Dean

Dean - Father and son service on the same ship?! That must be a treat to have accomplished.

This project is on the back-burner right now, but plans are in hand, and the scratch-build process that I would intend to follow is well documented in builds here, so that will serve as a guide. Could even add the wrinkle of seeking of using the master to cast resin copies. So, much to think about.

Do you have access to photographs that might detail areas of the ship?

Daniel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:24 pm 
My grandfather was on the SS Manhattan from 1966 to early 70s. He was in the boiler room and then became 2nd assistant. Rufus "Buck" Cobb. Westminster, SC. He will soon be 82, and loves sharing his sailing stories with anyone that will listen.

blessings
India

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:58 pm 
I spent time working / feeding , SunShip Yard on the Delaware , river during her modifications , adding the prow , If you look to search her , look at what the Sun archives have shown , before and after modifications , including some aerial photos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:28 pm 

maxoverload wrote:
I spent time working / feeding , SunShip Yard on the Delaware , river during her modifications , adding the prow , If you look to search her , look at what the Sun archives have shown , before and after modifications , including some aerial photos

Any sense of who holds the Sun archives?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:59 pm 

Here's the Manhattan page on the tribute site to Sun Shipyards: http://www.sunship.org/manhattan.html

A few nice, if small, photos.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:35 pm 

I would love to find plans to build a true scale model of her as an icebreaker/ tanker. I have a Wiswesser set but they are unreliable.

Keith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:47 am 
Hi, I'm selling a model of the SS Manhattan on eBay if anyone is interested - it's 4ft long!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4ft-Model-of- ... 1492576849?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:11 pm 

Lovely build. Sorry I am on the other side of the Atlantic!