The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:46 am 

Hi to you all from Wales, I put a post on earlier today but am not sure if I got it right as I only joined today. My question is on the u s s whitehall I have got to the bridge section and for some reason I cannot relate to where piece c 21 fits, I think it goes on the bottom of the structure if I am wrong can someone put me right. I am just back into modelling after a 50yr break and at 68 years old do have these senior moments!!.
Regards
Dai H

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:12 pm 

What kit are you building?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:51 am 

Hi thank you for your reply it is The U S S Whitehall by Dumas
Regards
Dai H

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:47 pm 

I found these images on a thread on the Sub-Driver forums - they should help:
https://forum.sub-driver.com/filedata/f ... 1397759456
https://forum.sub-driver.com/filedata/f ... 1397759812

It appears to be a bulkhead piece for the aft side of the main superstructure.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:29 am 

Dear Timmy C, many thanks for the links you sent they were more than helpful. As it has been 50 years since I had to give up modelling (The Army + marriage!!) it seems like I am trying to move from the stone age up into the space age so much progress has been made, however I guess that if I take my time I will get there in the end.
Again many thanks
Regards
Dai H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:41 am 

Hi everyone,well the static White hall project is proceeding well (sorry no pics!!).Is there anyone onsite that can tell me where I can get the H-R bits I have been on to Dumas and they have a supplier (H-R) problem and do not know when the bits will be available until I get the bits then my model will look more like a cross channel ferry than a warship.
Also as mine is a static any advice on how far from the join (fore deck to centre deck) would you put the bridge assembly?
As always any help and advice to this beginner is more than welcome.
Regards
Dai H.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:06 pm 

The White Hall is a PC based on the same plan as the Admirable Class Minesweepers. (the class of ship depicted by the ancient Lindberg Minesweeper kit).
Try searching for drawings of that class on the internet. The Floating Drydock has a great CD of drawings and photos for the Admirable class sweepers, but it does not contain any drawings or photos of the PC version of this ship.

If you have not used HR products items, they are very rough. The basic castings for funnels, bitts, vents, etc. would probably be fine, but would suggest Shapeways 3D printed weapons for your build.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:37 am 

Hi there Arkansas, great to hear from you and thanks for your help and advice. I took heed of your suggestion and went on to the 3D site and the cost of 1 gun is about £18 ($28) so to get all I need would cost me more than the model was in the first place!! so I guess I will do without the items I need until something else turns up.
Regards
Dai H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:56 am 

Hi everyone, well the build is coming along and all the bits and bobs are slowly coming together. I have made up the rope reels but for the life of me cannot see where they go (even after scouring the plans), so can anyone help me with their location as I may just be having a senior moment!!.
I have made it into a static as Dumas have no idea when or if they can supply me with the H-R bits as it would seem that H-R have gone bust!!
All the best to you all
Regards
Dai H

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:20 am 

We now have a new option for those who want to build the Admirable class PCEs in resin or in 1/700:

1/700 South Vietnamese Corvette Nhut To (US Admirable Class) by Doggy Industries

I seem to recall before their split into East and West, Loose Cannon also marketed this class in 1/700.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:27 pm 

It seems there's even a 3rd option of the Admirable class in the obscure scale of 1/600 from this Shapeways vendor at the link below:

1/600 Admirable class/PCE from Bill's Models

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:43 am 

Dai,
I doubt that you will read this posting, your post opening this thread was about four years ago. I have built the Dumas model of the Whitehall about five ago. As a matter of fact, I served aboard the Whitehall from 1961 - 67. She was assigned to our reserve unit in Cleveland, Ohio as a training ship. We took her out monthly and on extended summer cruises. I like to think of her as my first sea duty assignment even though I was never actually ships-company.

If you do read this post and reply on-line I would be happy to share photos of my model of the USS Whitehall PCER 856 with you.

Walt