The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:05 pm 

just started the build on my italeri 1/35 s100 so i'll be around on here for a few tips.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:54 pm 

Thanks, Mike! I'm glad you found it helpful. I've posted an overview of the new edition here:

http://www.prinzeugen.com/Squadron.htm

Dave

[quote="Mike Coleman still"]I got the Schnellboot in Action book from Squadron a few weeks ago. It is a great addition to my KM related library and certainly adds to the information already out there. Some of the new photos are stunning in their clarity and details presented. I have had to go back and redo some of the superstructure details on my S-10 model as a result of the information presented but I really don't mind as it is all based on correct, photo documented information. I have no connection to the author or publisher but I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in these craft. Well done.
Mike[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:23 pm 

Dakra wrote:
Thanks, Mike! I'm glad you found it helpful. I've posted an overview of the new edition here:

http://www.prinzeugen.com/Squadron.htm

Dave

Mike Coleman still wrote:
I got the Schnellboot in Action book from Squadron a few weeks ago. It is a great addition to my KM related library and certainly adds to the information already out there. Some of the new photos are stunning in their clarity and details presented. I have had to go back and redo some of the superstructure details on my S-10 model as a result of the information presented but I really don't mind as it is all based on correct, photo documented information. I have no connection to the author or publisher but I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in these craft. Well done.
Mike

Just bought the new addition, definitely worth adding to my reference list.
I would recommend this for anyone wanting to build an accurate rendition of the Boot!

Gregg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:03 pm 

Hey guys I am currently working on a 1/15 RC scratch build of the S62 (a type S38 boat) and was wondering if anyone had any info to share on this particular boat. I've got a fair amount out of books etc, but any more info is always welcome.
Here is the link to my model on this forum if your interested

Cheers!

Theo P.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:05 pm 

Sorry I forgot to add the link. Here it is
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=155588

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:21 am 

I took apart the Airfix "German E-Boat" to see why it doesn't look right; it was an itch I had to scratch.

http://prinzeugen.com/AirfixSchnellboot.htm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:19 am 

Dakra wrote:
I took apart the Airfix "German E-Boat" to see why it doesn't look right; it was an itch I had to scratch.

http://prinzeugen.com/AirfixSchnellboot.htm

That analysis was enlightening! Thanks for doing that. You talked me out of the Airfix kit, basically. The new Schnellboot in Action book is a fantastic resource, and well worth buying the same book again (I own the previous edition). I feel a lot better about painting the bottom of the boat Schiffenbodenfarbe red rather than grey, for one thing. Those color photos are a fantastic find.

I'm about to embark on building my S-100 class boat from the Revell Kit. It'll be about my 3rd model since returning to building models as an adult (I'd stopped in secondary school when I became far more interested in girls and beer). It's going to be R/C, but I'd like to use the full Griffon PE set, so keeping it light enough to float might get... interesting.

I'm most likely going to build the S-150, which if I'm not mistaken, was 9th Flotilla commander von Mirbach's boat when the 5th and 9th flotillas attacked the D-Day landing practice exercises at Slapton Sands and sunk about 3 LSTs, leading to a massive US government coverup.

First difficulty here is that while I've found a lot of after market decal sets I've not seen one for the 9th flotilla's insignia. Jean-Philippe Dallies-Labourdette, in his S-Boote: German E-Boats in Action incorrectly identifies the insignia as the 8th flotilla. I believe it's been mentioned earlier in this threat that this book has factual inaccuracies; so there's one. Also, the art in the book depicts e-boats as heavily weathered as Flower-class corvettes. I've read somewhere that they were meticulously maintained and the paint was kept relatively fresh. Photos bear this claim out, so I'd be hesitant to rust it up. That said, the book has a lot of photos and is a good read for those who want to get a feel for operations and tactics, so I don't regret having it.

Before I start building, I'm waiting on Harald Fock's Die Deutschen Schnellboote 1914-1945, and will probably get his Fast Fighting Boats as well, unless someone convinces me that they're so redundant one doesn't need both.

There are a couple more projects queued up, but I'll be building a 1/72 semi-scratch s-38 class boat on a Coastal Forces hull at some point, so I want to amass a lot of research material (that, and I'm the sort of person who spends $400 on research material to build a $20 kit). Most likely I'll build the s-130. Only problem with this plan is it would give me two 9th flotilla boats, so if anyone knows of another boat of either class that was involved in one or more remarkable actions, please post a mention of it (I like my models to have backstory).

On the other hand, if they're both R/C, it might be cool to be able to send a 'swarm' of two s-boots out to chase the monitor lizards that swim in the pond near my house...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:16 pm 

FYI the 2nd edition of Schnellboot in Action is currently on sale for $10.00 at Squadron. First time its been on sale as far as I know. If you have the 1st edition, I recommend getting the 2nd edition. Many errors corrected, vastly improved drawings, better captions, more photos, more color profiles, more pages, etc.

http://www.squadron.com/Schnellboot-in- ... s14035.htm

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:23 am 

I know the S-Boots were of a combination of wood/metal construction. What was the hull built of - wood with metal sheathing, or just wood? I believe the enclosed forecastle area of the torpedo tubes was of aluminum construction, hence the hundreds of rivets and no welds. But pertaining to the hull below the main deck - was that just wood and no metal? If there were areas of deterioration of the anti-fouling paint visible, how would it look? Would there be some sort of primer visible through the paint, or just bare wood? :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:12 am 

The hull was built of aluminium alloy metal frames with wood planking. Further details are in the Construction section of the Squadron book. Here is a photo showing the deteriorated hull of a boat salvaged by the Allies. Note the black stripe is actually oil staining from sitting idle in dirty harbour water, and is not a boot top. Judging from the many photos I have seen, boats in service were kept in very good order.

HTH
-Dave

Attachments:
Slide 6804 National Arhives Naval Slide Collection.jpg
Slide 6804 National Arhives Naval Slide Collection.jpg [ 57.87 KiB | Viewed 4782 times ]

Last edited by Dakra on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:21 am 

Same photo, color corrected/saturated in PS. The yellow areas seem to be paint applied after the salvage. My guess it is an attempt at preservation using a USN issue primer paint.

Attachments:
Slide 6804 National Arhives Naval Slide CollectionCC.jpg
Slide 6804 National Arhives Naval Slide CollectionCC.jpg [ 187.44 KiB | Viewed 4782 times ]

Last edited by Dakra on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:29 am 

Another photo of the same boat showing deterioration of the anti fouling paint. Again slightly color corrected/saturated in PS

Attachments:
Slide 6803 from Us Nat Archives Naval Slide CollectionCCs.jpg
Slide 6803 from Us Nat Archives Naval Slide CollectionCCs.jpg [ 175.83 KiB | Viewed 4781 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:18 am 
David,

Please email me. You have my email. Thank you.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:32 am 

Since an S-Boot's speed was greater by several knots than that of the torpedoes it fired, is it safe to say that attacks were not delivered at top speed? Or, at least, did they throttle down so as not to run into their own torpedoes just fired? Or, did they fire at top speed, then make a sudden swerve to avoid their torpedoes? :wave_1:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:29 am 

Anyone have updated links for conversion of the Italeri 1/35 S-boot to an early S-38 class?

John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:01 pm 

Hello everyone...May I ask for your help! :wave_1: I am in need of Airfix 1/72 German e boat instructions....would you be able to scan and email me a copy? I will happily pay $10.00 for your time and effort... Plse feel free to contact me at kcmorgan@msn.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:41 pm 

There are some posted here, do these help?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixt ... 32264.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:02 pm 

I am not sure as they say "S Boat" ...but they look close....I cant tell you how much I appreciate your help and consideration!!! Very nicely done, sir!....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:06 am 

A company called Fore Hobby has just released a 1/72 kit of the S-38 S-boot. I have only seen it online but it seems to be a fairly sophisticated model with good detail, PE and turned gun barrels:

https://www.1-72depot.com/en-au/miniatu ... s-38-1942/

I am just starting the old and flawed Airfix E-boat and I've got the Revell S-100 to build next so it may be a while before I buy the Fore Hobby kit. Hopefully there will be some reviews and buld articles before long

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:53 am 

Missed this tread, and i come on this site once a day to check the galley out and still missed this!
I did an RC conversion back in 2009/10 of the Italeri S100 1/35th kit with a lot of extras added, of course it had a 20mm Vierling on the back and scratchbuilt mines and trolley, fitted with three motors its sailed beautifully, then in a fit of madness i sold it, the build log i did was over on Finescale model site and all the photos were on Photobucket, needless to say i have lost them all, and even when i have gone on to the site they are all deleted.
Back in March i bought another one and in the process of building this for RC again, also picked up the Earlier type Italeri released around 2017/20 of S-38, cat number 5620. Now it seems Italeri is coming out with S-26 cat number 5625, so i want to know is this a re-release kit or has it go newer details/ parts etc? Coming out with a Hiigins 70 footer also!
Over the course of the last few months i have also been adding to my collection of S-boot books up to around 16 now and for all those pages not a lot of photos, nearly nil on any camo schemes!
So now waiting to seeing this new Italeri S26

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next