The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:12 am 

There aren't a lot of kits of USCG subjects around (the only plastic ones I know of are the Glencoe lifeboat, Lindberg 95' Cape-class, Revell's Campbell and Eastwind, and the Testors/Hawk 1/600 Secretary-class cutter). But I thought a CASF thread might be useful as reference material and information can be hard to find, even for current types.

The USCG's official website has a library of images at http://cgvi.uscg.mil/media/main.php?g2_itemId=77427 including many high-res, detailed photos of vessels currently in service. http://www.fredsplace.org is another good source of photos (including archive photos of older cutters)

I started this thread as I'm currently working on a 1/48 radio-controlled model of a 110' Island-class WPB - this is based on a "ready-to-run" commercial model with replacement motors, the model is very basic I'm having to replace most of the fittings with scratchbuilt parts. Photos from the USCG website (link above) have been invaluable for reference material, but I've a couple of questions about the Island-class WPBs :

- There are two boxlike objects on the aft deck which are (in all the photos I've seen) covered with red or blue tarpaulin covers. What are these? I'm guessing that they are storage lockers for the aft .50 MG tripod mounts (the same blue or red covers can be seen on the other gun positions) but this is just a guess. I haven't found any close-up photos of the aft deck area so far.

- Are there any photos available - online or in print - of the bridge area? (Not the enclosed wheelhouse, the open bridge beneath the mast). This area is quite visible on the model so I don't really want to rely on guesswork for the instrument types + locations!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:11 am 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

EPinniger,

I can't help you out with your desire for additional photos. I just wanted to let you know that I am interested in the USCG 311' Cutters.

I am converting the ISW 1/350 USS Mackinac AVP-13 Small Seaplane Tender kit into the USCGC Bering Strait WHEC-382.

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:28 pm 

Hello,
If memory serves the blue object's on the stern of this class was portable Drop pumps on one side and the other side was the gas cans.....

Regards
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:23 pm 

Here Are some pics..
Attachment:
8531.jpg
8531.jpg [ 31.71 KiB | Viewed 13331 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG [ 37.84 KiB | Viewed 13335 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:57 am 

I'd already found those photos (and others) on the USCG site, but thanks for the help all the same! I managed to find a couple of very high-res photos of the forward deck area, superstructure and mast, but no close-ups of the aft deck or the open bridge area.

daveseas wrote:
If memory serves the blue object's on the stern of this class was portable Drop pumps on one side and the other side was the gas cans.....

Seems like I was wrong then! Would the gas cans be drums, smaller vehicle-type fuel cans, or something else?

Here's a couple of photos of my R/C Island-class WPB. The hull + deck fittings are now mostly complete, next stage is the superstructure and mast.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:04 pm 

Have you ever seen the gas can for a outboard motor? That would be the shape. Normally they are stowed in racks so they do not come lose. Securing them was with bungie or a strap of that nature. Some of the container's used to protect the drop pumps/gas cans :smallsmile: were square in shape.

I think your on the right track. Look's good!!!

Regards
dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:04 am 

I am a USCG fan but never seem to build CG subjects. When I built AC I did a few CG aircraft, a PBY and a lockheed electra.

I mentioned to EP on another thread that I am looking at doing the Lindbergh Cape Class PB for my Girlfriend's Father's 60th b-day as he is a CG vet.

I grew not far away from the USCG Lifeboat Station in Newcastle NH and used to sail around the Base when USCGC Tamaroa was based there. I have considered turning ISW's 1/350th fleet tug into Tamaroa for a while now.

Nice looking Island Class WPB, EP.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:53 am 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

Zach,

Battle Fleet Models makes a nice little 1/700 Tamaroa in her 1980's and 1990's configurations. I have one on order, right now.

My USCGC Bering Strait WHEC-382, so far:

Photobucket

YouTube Channel:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, the gray with the CG markings looks pretty good. Nice work so far.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:38 am 

Yeah I saw the battlefleet kit. I may do that instead but I am so ham handed I usually like the bigger scales. We'll see :smallsmile:

On the Gray scheme, what era is that? Was Bering strait deployed to Southeast Asia and she wore gray for that? I figure that it is post 1963 or 4 since none of the Cutters wore the red slash before then but I had never encountered the gray hull before.

Though I really like how she looks so far.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:53 am 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

Zach P. wrote:
Yeah I saw the battlefleet kit. I may do that instead but I am so ham handed I usually like the bigger scales. We'll see :smallsmile:

On the Gray scheme, what era is that? Was Bering strait deployed to Southeast Asia and she wore gray for that? I figure that it is post 1963 or 4 since none of the Cutters wore the red slash before then but I had never encountered the gray hull before.

Though I really like how she looks so far.

In 1970, the Bering Strait and Yakutat were painted gray in preparation to be transferred to the South Vietnamese Navy, which occured in January 1971. Originally, I had thought that all USCG cutters were painted gray in the Vietnam area of operations so as not to stand out so much as targets from shore (especially at night), but I think that the statement that I saw about gray paint on USCG vessels pertained just to the smaller riverine craft, etc.

I thought that the gray paint scheme was interesting and a rare and unusual sight, so I wanted to do that to my model conversion.

Photobucket

YouTube Channel:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:32 pm 

Carl - I really like her in grey. Post some more picks when you are done with her.

Well after looking at pics of the WW2 Zuni and other ATF's and at the Tamaroa I really don't think the conersion should be too hard.

My most reliable photos show Tam in her final fit which appears to have the deckhouse extended aft a little more and the windlass behind the towbits has been absorbed by this extension and is gone. The other big change is the extension of the 01 deck over the side of the deckhouse making it even with the hull sides. This all looks acheieable and I have always liked Tam so I think I will tackle this with the ISW kit.

This may pre-empt my Cape Class project.

Does anyone know where I can get Coast gaurd crests or crest and stripe decals? I can work around this but if they are available I think life would be easier.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:01 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

Zach P. wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get Coast gaurd crests or crest and stripe decals? I can work around this but if they are available I think life would be easier.

Zach,

I used ISW's USCGC Hamilton decals. I went through about 3 1/2 sheets of red stripes trying to cut them to the right size for my model, the right angle, and conforming them to the curved gunwale of the Barnegat class ships. Besides that, they are rather brittle especially when trying to curve them at the top edge. If you have more experience with decals and setting and disolving solutions, you may have better luck with them, than I. The nice thing about ISW's decal sheet is that there are blank red stripes as well as red stripes with the crest on them. This allows for just sizing the red stripes without regard to centering the crest. Extra crests come with the sheet of decals for the stack, as well.

Photobucket

YouTube Channel:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:33 pm 

Carl,

Well done! Looks great. Looks pretty close to the real thing.

Regards
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:43 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

daveseas wrote:
Carl,

Well done! Looks great. Looks pretty close to the real thing.

Regards
Dave

Thank you, Dave!

I am surprised, myself, as to how well it is turning out and how close it is to the real thing. The dream is coming true due a lot to Darren at Hawk Graphics. Darren made the custom white letter and number decals for the hull, for me.

More thanks go out to Jon at ISW for the special parts from other ISW kits, such as the 81mm mortar launchers and the boat davits and the USCGC Hamilton decal sheets.

Photobucket

YouTube Channel:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:49 pm 
Does anyone know where I can locate a scale resin model of the USCG/USS Glacier AGB-4 icebreaker? I know of a place that makes them in wood and 100% finished, but the price is over $1000.00 USD.

My brother served on the Glacier while in the Navy(1959-1961)as an engineman. Other models from Revell like the Wind series look similar regarding the bridge but thats about it. She was also longer than the Wind series icebreakers too.

Thanks,
Martin

PS:please contact me at mgill49@yahoo.com if you have ANY information

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:26 pm 

Carl,

The large CG Cutters in Vietnam retained their white hulls, with the exception of the 311 AVP/HEC Barnegat class cutters turned over to the the RVNN.

I remember just before we departed on the end of the RUSH's deployment, being off the coast, near the Mekong Delta, with a seal team aboard, doing an insertion, that here we were, Big White Ship, Big Red Stripe, on a moon lit night, just waiting for someone to shoot as us.

As to open bridges. some of the new coastal patrol boats, and the 47 ft Motor Lifeboats have open bridges. But We're not fanatics, like our English and Commwealth cousins. ( Big Grin) {UP SPIRITS)

We probably have meet on the CG Community WEb site. Have you been to the Navy Together We Served Site. Go, check it out. MY invite. CGRDCS # 195. It's free to join or visit.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:02 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

grdcs wrote:
Carl,

The large CG Cutters in Vietnam retained their white hulls, with the exception of the 311 AVP/HEC Barnegat class cutters turned over to the the RVNN.

I remember just before we departed on the end of the RUSH's deployment, being off the coast, near the Mekong Delta, with a seal team aboard, doing an insertion, that here we were, Big White Ship, Big Red Stripe, on a moon lit night, just waiting for someone to shoot as us.

As to open bridges. some of the new coastal patrol boats, and the 47 ft Motor Lifeboats have open bridges. But We're not fanatics, like our English and Commwealth cousins. ( Big Grin) {UP SPIRITS)

We probably have meet on the CG Community WEb site. Have you been to the Navy Together We Served Site. Go, check it out. MY invite. CGRDCS # 195. It's free to join or visit.

Jack

Thanks, Jack. BIG WHITE TARGETS, huh? Feeling like you glow in the dark, I suppose.

I found the gray paint scheme of the Bering Strait and the Yakutat very unique and rare, so I just had to portray this feature. I have plans for the Bering Strait, so that is why I chose her.

Photobucket

YouTube Channel:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:19 am 

I've hit a few problems (mostly lack of reference) with my 1/48 Island-class build and have to re-state my original request! - I'm looking for any photographs of the bridge area, the "boat deck" - especially the RHIB boat cradle and crane and the aft deck/fantail area.
I've found some very good photos of the forward deck, superstructure, and mast, but very little reference material for the other areas.

Here are some photos of my model in its current state. I've just finished the mast, though it still needs the various radars, lights etc. to be added.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:42 am 

Edward
i have photographed some of these in the 1990s (east coast), will that fit your time frame? I will check them. They are 35MM prints and there should be some detail photos there. I'm gradually moving into digital SLR so this will give me some practice scanning/digitizing. What ship are you doing?
Best wishes
George