The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:45 pm 

cdsc123 wrote:
Hi

I can do a 1/72nd scale Ton class hull with decks (they are almost the same, but will need some modification).

Here is a picture;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25721684@N ... 2269542118

I can also do the YMS hull which was also used by very many European navies after WWII.

Regards, Christian.

Great work Christian.
I´m looking for something smaller, for static display only.
Maybe no larger than 1/200 or 1/144 scale.
Could you offer plans or a hull in those scales?

Thank you

Patricio

In the yard:
USS Gudgeon 1/350
Alfa 1/350
Queue:
Guppy II 1/350
Leonardo Da Vinci 1/350
Type 212 1/350
ARA Santiago del Estero 1/144
USS Nautilus 1/350
ARA San Juan 1/350
ARA Chiriguano 1/350
Severodvinsk 1/350

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:50 am 

Hi Patricio

Sorry the smallest scale I work in is 1/72nd.

Regards, Christian.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:31 am 

HOA48 wrote:
In Oslo, Norway, we have an old Adjutant Class minesweeper named KNM (Royal Norwegian Navy) ALTA. She is a fully working museum ship, and is kept and sailed by a crew of enthusiasts.

For more info on KNM Alta, please see: http://www.hnsa.org/ships/alta.htm
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH--ld87vGo

However, I'm looking for a model kit of this ship. Building a model from scratch is not an option at this time, so a plastic kit (or a more sophisticated kit) will do for now.

Can anyone help me, please?

Hi,

I was P.O. engineer on board BNS Zinnia back in 1991-1992, and I remember ALTA very well as she was a former belgian MSC (BNS "Arlon"). She was then a temporary member of the STANAVFORCHAN force.

To my knowledge, there is no "plastic" kit available, maybe l'Arsenal did produce a resin kit?

Just call me the "Cereals Box Killer" , I guess :big_grin:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:48 am 

Laurent is right: l'Arsenal has a very nice 1:400 resin kit of the AMS 60, in France called the 'Acacia class' which is more commonly known as 'the' MSC. Good review of the kit at:
http://www.steelnavy.com/LArsenalMSC60Acacia.htm

In fact MSC only refers to a type, BYMS were also MSC, MSC being not a particular class therefore.

Some years ago Jacques Druel of l'Arsenal promised me to make the kit also available in 1:350 scale, but that hasn't materialised yet.

And if you shun away from resin kits: many years ago Heller issued a plastic kit of the 'Dragueur Côtier Mercure', also in 1:400 scale. The Mercure was in fact a somewhat modified version of an AMS 60, in particular the funnel and the bridge were different, but could easily be converted back when needed. However, this kit was much more basic than the recent l'Arsenal offering, and it will be difficult to find a Mercure on the second hand market.
http://www.laroyale-modelisme.net/t8345-dragueur-de-mines-mercure-1-400eme

Maarten

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:21 am 

Maarten Schönfeld wrote:
In fact MSC only refers to a type, BYMS were also MSC, MSC being not a particular class therefore.

Hi Maarten,

Not really, BYMS were redesigned as MSC(O) during the 1950's, but they were different animals than the AMS-60's.

source:
http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/hist ... epers3.htm

The hulls look alike, but they are different. You won't see any difference at scale 1/400, but in real life, there is a difference, MSC's were larger in displacement (390 tons) vs BYMS displacing 274 tons, and MSC's had a 8 feet longer hull.

Propulsion plant was for about the same, the only noticeable difference being the YMS had their engine actuated by the crew in the engine room ( with the ol'fashioned "rrring-rrring" transmitters), while the MSC's had pneumatic remote controls at the bridge.

Following the listing I mentioned here above, I had the chance to sail on AM-515, AM-504 and AM-499, all three have been scrapped in 2002 at the Ghent breaking yard.

I never sailed on MSC's, but had the opportunity to have some beers there on board :big_grin:

Just call me the "Cereals Box Killer" , I guess :big_grin:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:44 pm 
Thanks to MAARTEN for the tip about the L'Arsenal resin kit of the French AMS 60.
This might actually work for us, so I think we'll give it a try.

Post subject: Minesweepers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:59 am 

Hi,
Just a long shot, but has anybody got any photos or drawings of Soviet Project 253 and 255 minesweepers
in service with the navies of Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Egypt and Indonesia?
Photos of the Bulgarian and Albanian ships are very rare and I have never seen any photos of the Egyptian or Indonesian ones.
Here are two photos of Polish 253s:-
Attachment:
File comment: ORP Kormoran (ID letters KR) (top) and possibly ORP Albatros showing partially obscured ID letters AL
Polish 253(8).jpg
Polish 253(8).jpg [ 127.39 KiB | Viewed 6798 times ]

I am making a series of 1-100 scale models of these ships in mainly in card/paper and I have established the profile and sections of the hull but information regarding deck fittings is lacking.
Any info would be gratefully appreciated
Very best regards
bjw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:37 am 

Hi,

I just came across this thread. My first ship was a minesweeper, the USS Cape MSI-2, so I have a fondness for these ships.

Only two MSIs (inshore minesweepers) were built, the USS Cove MSI-1 and USS Cape MSI-2. We were bolted to the pier in Long Beach, California (we didn't get underway very often). We occasionally went out and around Catalina Island for "training" - actually fishing. We did participate in a mine sweeping exercise (got a mine fouled in our gear and had to drop out of formation). We also carried the Navy's most sophisticated mine detecting sonar at that time, and occasionally took it out for testing.

It was McHale's Navy. The CO was a brand new Lieutenant, the XO was a LTJG, and I was a brand new Ensign just out of OCS - I was Engineering Officer and Supply Officer, and 27 other official duties. There were 19 enlisted in the crew, and the senior PO was a 1st Class bosun's mate.

We called ourselves the smallest ship in the Navy - only 112 feet long (34 meters). We really weren't large enough to be a "ship" but we had a letter from the Secretary of the Navy authorizing us to call the vessel a ship. Actually, the Cove was probably a bit shorter - she lost power coming in to the pier and rammed a destroyer in the fantail, leaving about a foot deep notch in the stern. That earned her the nickname "USS Canopener."

The MSIs were pretty worthless. They bobbed around in the ocean like corks. They were underpowered and had a single screw that made maneuvering difficult. Top speed was 13 knots with a tailwind.

I was aboard only about nine months when the Navy decided to get rid of them. They later saw service in some oceanographic role. I went to the USS Ruff MSC(O)-54 as Officer In Charge - pretty slick for an Ensign. However, the ship was being decomissioned and it no longer had engines. That was the end of my minesweeping career. Next I went to the USS Oklahoma City CLG-5, flagship of the 7th Fleet. It was quite a bit different from the Cape!

I have the blueprints for the Cape and someday I want to scratch build a 1:48 model.

Phil

Attachments:
USS Cape MSI-2 small.jpg
USS Cape MSI-2 small.jpg [ 136.69 KiB | Viewed 6622 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:48 pm 

Just received Niko models Kit N 3503 Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper - YSM - 419 1945. Really nice resin casts and has wooden decks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:42 pm 

Looking for information on the diameter of the black balls used during daylight to indicate sweeping underway. Were they 20 inch diameter?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:13 pm 

Another thumbs up to all minesweepers and the Admirable class in general. Of course my intro into these vessels was provided by the ubiquitous Lindberg kit in 1/125 scale. These unsung heroes did not receive much glory but I think the appeal lies in the fact that they are still warships. The Admirable class shares the same hull with the PCE, essentially the same boat.

Has anyone built the Dumas USS Whitehall kit? It's a PCE but can be converted to an Admirable class sweeper if I understand these two different vessels classes correctly.

dhenning: are you speaking of the 'balls' hung from the yardarms of the mast? There's one such in a photo of PCE-848 but she wasn't a sweeper....

http://www.navsource.org/archives/12/120284805.jpg

Last edited by Timmy C on Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img] tags do not work with Navsource images unless you've viewed them already

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:33 pm 
those all seem kinda of classy compared to the mso i was on i was on the uss fidelity mso 443 they were like riding a roller coaster smelled like oil sweat and rotten wood but omg was it fun cept when i got sea sick lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:16 pm 

Harq,
Yes-they are similar. During daylight, minesweeping vessels are required to fly 3 round black shapes on the left and right halyards and one at the center up high. This is apparently an international signal that sweeping cables are out and that they in the process of sweeping. I found one drawing on the Floating Drydock's Admirable class cd that scaled about to about 20". Ending up using a standard paper punch and punching them out of printer paper, folding each one at a 90 degree angle and then sandwiching the halyard between two piece of paper and later painting them flat black. Worked for me!

Someday I'll take some completed photos of my USS Pirate (AM-275) and figure out how to post them on the forum. New project is converting the Revell Calypso....I mean Ocean Exploration Vessel...into a YMS minesweeper. So far I have kept the hull, shafts, props, rudders, and windless. The main deck was sanded smooth and used as the backing to a scribed wooden sheeting deck. Looks like everything else will be scratched or obtained and converted from a donor Lindberg minesweeper.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:10 pm 

Yes the Lindbergh kit is a great starting focal point to build a Sweeper....double so if its a Admirirable class vessel . Its maesures and scales very close to actual. The hull lines and shape render well for conversions and scratch building. Good luck on your build(s)....post some pics When you can :wave_1:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:26 pm 

dhenning wrote:
...Someday I'll take some completed photos of my USS Pirate (AM-275) and figure out how to post them on the forum. New project is converting the Revell Calypso....I mean Ocean Exploration Vessel...into a YMS minesweeper. So far I have kept the hull, shafts, props, rudders, and windless. The main deck was sanded smooth and used as the backing to a scribed wooden sheeting deck. Looks like everything else will be scratched or obtained and converted from a donor Lindberg minesweeper.

Dave

I've got a copy of every Lindberg kit that interests me to include the Lindberg 'sweeper. That one will get converted to radio control as well as getting the proper attention for accuracy. It's basically all there; just needs fine tuning as it is one of Lindberg's better kits.

You're not the only one who has converted the Calypso back into a minesweeper. Someone performed that surgery some years ago and put it in the image gallery at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lindyfletcher/info

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:40 am 

Does anyone have details of the top or 'flying bridge' of the Admirable class 'sweepers? Does the Floating Drydock plans show details of what is up there?

dhenning: you can add pics either from your hard drive via the "upload attachment" area under message body portion or if they're hosted at an external site like photobucket, via the "Img" button which allows you to enter the URL of your image.

~Harry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:38 am 

Harquebus wrote:
Does anyone have details of the top or 'flying bridge' of the Admirable class 'sweepers? Does the Floating Drydock plans show details of what is up there?

dhenning: you can add pics either from your hard drive via the "upload attachment" area under message body portion or if they're hosted at an external site like photobucket, via the "Img" button which allows you to enter the URL of your image.

~Harry

Harquebus I have the Floating DryDocks AM136PB CD, and it does indeed show the bridge details with pictures and line drawings.
Bridge on pages 38
Open Bridge and ASDIC hut on pages 65-76.
Was indispensable for the build I did a year or so back

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 pm 

Harquebus wrote:

~Harry

Will give it a try once a get a decent area or backdrop for the photos. Bench is covered by current project (YMS). By the way, carried the Pirate to Dallas for Scalefest in Grapevine the weekend after Memorial Day. Won first place in my class (powered ships larger than 1/199 scale), but was also the only entry in that class! My 11 year old son took photos of several of the contest entries, but none of my USS Pirate!

The YMS project is coming along as well. Pilot/chart house built, stack, ventilators, storage lockers built. Has turned into a scratch building project with the modified Calypso hull. I've gotten a lot of inspiration from the LCI build in the Works in Progress photos.

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:39 am 

gott_cha wrote:
Harquebus I have the Floating DryDocks AM136PB CD, and it does indeed show the bridge details with pictures and line drawings.
Bridge on pages 38
Open Bridge and ASDIC hut on pages 65-76.
Was indispensable for the build I did a year or so back

Good info, thank you. I was not sure just how extensive these or any of the FDD plans are but this is good info. I'll have to make a purchase. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:27 am 

Hi minesweeper fans,

I MUST let you know that the 1/350 NavalModels kit of the Dutch Dokkum/Wildervank class has been released, and it's a gem. You can build any of the 32 ships in the class, either with open or closed bridge, and even the conversions into mine hunters and diving ships. All the assorted equipment of floats and so forth are included. Of course decals and PE are included too. Recommended!

For those who are bewildered: these ships were build to the same specifications as the British Ton and the French Sirius classes, but in detail rather different than those. As the Ton class is now available from Atlantic Models (Peter Hall) you can make a nice comparison.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next